• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bubble has a lump :( U/D much smaller

weedug

Mama Doe
I am in utter panic! My gorgeous Mr Bubble has a lump on his chest between his front legs :(.

Anyone had any experience of this?

We will be going to the vet, obviously, but I can't decide whether to chance taking him to my usual practice and just seeing anyone (some of the vets aren't too good), or wait until into next week to take him to the D1ck vet. Would he be ok to wait to get it seen?

If I take him to my usual vet and he gets transferred to the D1ck vet, it will cost about £200 for the referral. He's insured, but since he is 8 years old, I have to pay £100 excess plus 20% of the bill.

My usual practice would be £10 for a taxi, they would let me pay up any bill, but Bub would be housed beside dogs and their vets aren't so good (some better than others).

D1ck vet would be about £40-50 for the taxi, might not let me pay up the bill, but he would be housed in a bunny unit with bunny experts.

He's eating, drinking, and acting as normal.

Which vet should I go for (think I already know after typing this) and would he be OK to wait until I phoned on Monday to get an appointment?

Last edited:
I cant say what the lump may be without feeling it. It could be an abscess or maybe a fatty lump (Morse has loads of them). If he is eating and pooing as normal and fine in every other way then I doubt rushing him to the Vet now will achieve much. The local Vet is unlikely to operate if it is a surgical case. If it is something more complex they may simply refer him to the Royal D1ck.

I agree with Jane. If he is unwell then you would have no option really than to act now but as he is fine in himself I would think it is safe to wait until you can book into D1ck.

Squirrel had a lump in his dewlap and it turned out to be an internal bruise that had to be removed as it was killing off the tissue. He was fine after it. The vet thought it could have been caused by an unlucky kick from one of the other buns and as they were free ranging in the garden at the time, this was a distinct possibility.

Good luck :wave:

No advice just sending hundreds of hugs,,, Janes probably forgotten more than most folk know.. so her advice is probably spot on!!!,

Love
Fee xx

Now I've calmed down a tiny bit from lump=cancer, he has been quite mischievous this week, and has fallen a couple of times when he has tried to do things he isn't quite able to now. Maybe he has bashed himself from one of the falls, although he seemed fine after all of them. It was after getting him from one of his adventures today that I noticed the lump.

He is the love of my life, my soul bunny. I can't be without him.

I've had a good poke about the lump, and Bub doesn't bother, so I assume it isn't sore. It feels like a sort of ball that moves around. My dog has little fatty lumps that feel the same, so I'm praying that is what it is.

Everything else is still fine, other than him being a bit more mischievous than normal :roll:. He seems quite happy to lie on it too.

I'm not sure about bunnies but one characteristic of human tumors is they're usually anchored to the surrounding tissues. Anything floaty/squishy is probably infection or benign cyst.
Vibes for Bubble that it's nothing sinister and the vet can sort it easily. xxxx

i would have waited aswell to see the proper vet.

if it's something bad, usually you wouldn't beable to move it around as it would be attached to the tissues. so hopefully it is something less serious and treatable or a keep your eye on situation.

x

We have an appointment tomorrow at D1ck Vet at 2pm.

I am so worried. Trying to convince myself it will be ok. The lump hasn't changed any, and Bubble hasn't changed how he normally is.

I feel it every time I pick him up (he is very much a snuggle bun and loves sitting on my knee for ages getting pampered :love:), so I have no idea how I missed it before, unless it appeared really quickly.

Anyone any idea what they might do tomorrow? Would they want to keep him in?

I am so worried. Trying to convince myself it will be ok. The lump hasn't changed any, and Bubble hasn't changed how he normally is.

I feel it every time I pick him up (he is very much a snuggle bun and loves sitting on my knee for ages getting pampered :love:), so I have no idea how I missed it before, unless it appeared really quickly.

usually they try and take a sample from it via needle and send it off for analysis. :wave:

They may aspirate it and have a look at the cells under a microscope.

If it came up very quickly I think it is more likely to be an abscess

Good luck tomorrow xx

Just back from the vet. I ended up having to go to my own vet because I couldn't afford the £65 for a taxi return journey to D1ck Vet, on top of the £100 plus 20% I have to pay with the insurance :(.

The vet didn't want to put a needle into it as he said it felt suspiciously like cancer :(. The lump was too hard for a fatty lump, and it was attached to a stalk. It's in the mammary gland region.

The plan is to do x-rays on Friday to check the lungs, and if they are clear, to operate on the lump, although he said it could be difficult to find the end of the stalk. They would then find out if it is cancer or not.

I'm so, so worried. He seems so well, I wonder if I should risk him under the anaesthetic. He is the love of my life, I don't want to loose him :(

Oh no weedug... I am so sorry to hear that.. I hope the suspicions are unfounded and there can be more positive news..

Fingers, toes and bunny paws crossed..

lots of love and hugs for you and wee Bubble... xxxxxxxxxx

sorry to hear this. i know it's easier said than done but just take it one step at a time. sending vibes and hugs x

I'm really dreading Friday. I keep thinking that I shouldn't take him as he seems fine. I don't want to put him at risk :(

I'm really dreading Friday. I keep thinking that I shouldn't take him as he seems fine. I don't want to put him at risk :(

I think that's quite a natural reaction. As long as you are confident that your vet is rabbit-savvy, everything should be fine at your appointment. I hope that you get good news.

Oh Weedug, I'm sorry there's only more worry now. :( Mustering all the brightest vibes for the best outcome for Bubble's procedure. Sending ((((((((huge hugs)))))))))) for you. xxxx

Back