• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is trancing only when a rabbit is on it's back?

cpayne

Warren Veteran
I pick Doughnut up about twice a week now to give her fur a little cut as the metaclop is making her poops sticky so giving her a clean up. It's not too bad but I sit her on my knee holding her sort of sitting up. She sometimes stays really still. I'm sure I'm not trancing her and I'm pleased she is still so I can cut away any dirty bits but just want to make sure she's not frightened!

We have a cuddle after and I get the flicking of legs and give her a little bit of fenugreek crunchie. She's now lying with her feet stretched out going to sleep so don't think she is too traumatised by it all, she's often just wary of me for a few days later.

Yes, trancing is when the Rabbit is placed on his/her back. Held in the position you describe a Rabbit is highly unlikely to go into 'play dead due to fear' mode xx

I had to give Apple a bottom bath yesterday as she had poops, mud and hay stuck to her fur. I had to put her on her back to dry her properly underneath but her head was above her body like she was sitting up. I don't think that's trancing. Apple always gets much messier than the other three she lives with. She seems to relish mud bathing. I may ask the vet to trim her fur when she next goes as it's quite long around her rear.

Back