• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Muddy water flicked up shed walls - wet feet, help!

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
N&T have 24/7 access to their run(s). As such, they often come back into their shed and end up flicking muddy water up the walls. It's awful, I clean it and 2 weeks later it's covered again! It's even worse in winter :roll:. I'd prefer not to have to keep scrubbing it down... the paint is kitchen/bathroom wipeable paint but I know that it will affect the paint eventually even though I only use water - plus in winter I'd rather not put water all over the walls.

So my question is... I need something absorbant to put by their runaround connection to try to dry their paws off a bit.

N&T chew pretty much everything furry, so blankets won't work. Mats may work, depending on how thick they are. I haven't tried them with the coir type doormats - does anyone know if they are decent at drying things off, even if the thing doesn't wipe their paws on it? Also, is it dangerous if eaten? I can see that they'd chew it :roll: I suppose something like this is cheap enough to give it a go... http://www.wilko.com/doormats/wilko-door-mat-pvc-backed-coir-40cmx60cm/invt/0204626?VBMST=doormat

I've seen those magic mats which are supposed to be good when you have muddy dogs etc, but they're quite expensive and N&T might just chew it. It might be worth a try though if they're very effective, does anyone know if they are?

They do wee on carpet, but a carpet square might be a possibility...

Any other suggestions? Apart from getting N&T some shoes?

P.S shed floor is lino, so obviously not absorbant at all. They have megazorb and hay in their litter trays, but that doesn';t seem to dry their paws off much.

Last edited:
Learn to embrace the muddy look :lol:. Whatever mine flick up the shed walls stays on the shed walls ;).

Learn to embrace the muddy look :lol:. Whatever mine flick up the shed walls stays on the shed walls ;).

I do fear I might have to admit defeat on this one... this is my last ditch effort :lol: What makes it worse is how offended N&T act when I wash the walls :roll: If they didn't make such a mess I wouldn't have to annoy them by cleaning it :lol:

How about some correx or perspex on the walls (with a wooden baton at the top to stop them chewing it, although they may chew the wood)?

Embracing the muddy look sounds a lot easier and more relaxing.

Mine have an old carpet. It does get a bit chewed but it will be thrown out and replaced.

How about some correx or perspex on the walls (with a wooden baton at the top to stop them chewing it, although they may chew the wood)?

Embracing the muddy look sounds a lot easier and more relaxing.

Mine have an old carpet. It does get a bit chewed but it will be thrown out and replaced.

Correx or perspex would be useless unfortunately, as the walls are already fully boarded and painted over with kitchen and bathroom wipeable paint. I want to avoid getting it there in the first place (as much as possible). It's already wipe clean enough :D Good suggestion though!

I don't think we have any offcuts of carpet. And the carpet squares in homebase are very 'hard' if you know what I mean? Not soft and absorbant looking like most carpet, just really hard and rough :shock:

Mine chew everything and they don't chew the coir doormat, although they tried for a while. I don't know whether they could wipe their paws on it though as they're house buns.

I have the same problem in my hutches but I'm afraid I just leave it, it'll only get muddy again in 2 mins :roll: I've used some of the office type carpet tiles in my hutch, and they haven't chewed them. U can get them from b&q or the range for about £2.50 each. Another option may be to get a proper mud buster type doormat and nail it down on the floor if ur worried about chewing? I've just nailed a doormat to the top of Summer and Skye's new bed box and they haven't attempted to chew it, and they would if they could!!

Back