• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two ill bunnies...

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Well this week has been all up and down for my buns. Fozzie is 10 years old and has glaucoma and now an eye ulcer which hasn't improved in a week. Her guts have been slowing down and has needed shots of metaclopromide this week. The vet has said this is probably due to the pain from her eye so she is on more pain relief. However, if the ulcer doesn't heal then there is probably not much more we can do. I'm not happy to put her through an op to remove the eye.

Then there is her bonded partner Archie, who is 8.5 years. He has osteomyelitis in his upper jaw and tooth roots are a mess and has an abscess progressing across his face. Again the surgery is drastic and I'm not happy to put him through it.

I'm sure, sooner rather than later, I'm going to have to make the pts decision for one of them. They just dont have time on their side. And the hard part is do I pts them both together? I know that sounds horrific and normally I would make a decision based on the individual but they're inseparable.

Fozzie is blind and relies on Archie and she keeps his eyes clean. It seems awful I know and my hubby doesn't think it's right, but I can't imagine how one would cope without the other. Archie pined badly when we lost another bunny, who he wasn't even "bonded" with, and he didnt eat for 2 days and was hospitalised.

I know it'll seem like I'm cheating one bunny out of some time. I just don't know what to do. A pts decision is hard enough, never mind when there's 2 involved.

Any body any experiences of this please? I need to sort my head out!!

How very very sad:cry:. And what an awful decision to make. I think Jane's post echos what I think. You need to think about the quality of life Archie would have without Fozzie and I think you would just be delaying the inevitable with Archie - do you really want to have final memories of him being depressed, pining, struggling with his own issues, without much hope of getting better? I would also imagine that he would go down hill pretty quickly without Fozzie around.

Personally - and this is only what I would do and am sure some would disagree with me - I think it would be the kindest thing to let them go together. It is one of the last gifts we can give our animals - allowing them to have a painfree and peaceful passing.

But again - I am SO very sorry that you have to make this decision - :cry:

Sorry to hear about your bunnies but they have both reached a good age. I am on the side of pts together, no doubt about it as there is little that can be done to make them well again.

I've never been in this situation, but I would imagine it would be very painful to watch the lonely one left behind :( so I would most likely choose to pts both at the same time.

How really awful for you *hugs* x

Thank you everyone. It means a lot to me that you replied. I dont post much here but I can always turn to you all when it matters.

Its been such an up and down week. One day fozzie seems ok and Archie doesnt, then the tables turn and its the other way round. Or they both have a good day and I feel awful for considering it!

They've had a wee couple of scuffles today too, which is strange, but have had some time in the garden too.

Oh Kerry I am in tears reading your thread as you know Mike and I think such a lot of Fozzie and Archie and always look forward to seeing them when they board with us.

I'm not in a great state at the moment as we had to have Penny pts today but I do think if both bunnies are so ill and I do know the eye removal operation is a big op as Baby Saint was due to have her eye removed due to a nasty infection and so I know what it entails and we have had two bunnies with osteomyelitis in the upper jaw and we eventually had them both pts as it was clear they were not getting any better and they were a lot younger than Foz and Archie, so I think in Fozzie and Archies case and I'm in tears writing this it would be far kinder to have them both go to the Bridge together and Mike agrees.

We are here Kerry if you need an ear please feel free to contact us , Big Hugs (((())))) xxxx

I'm so sad for you :cry::cry:

I agree with the above too - I had two of my buns, Fiver and Boo, put to sleep together back in 2008.

Sending vibes for your little buns xxx

I have just shed a few tears reading this post. So just wanted to send some love. So sad :(

Whatever you decide will most certainly be the right decision for you, Fozzie and Archie.

Sending lots of hugs.xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

What a difficult decision to have to make, at such an upsetting time :(.

Sending vibes for the little ones x

Thanks for all your wishes and replies. Xx

We've had a couple of ok days. No more tooth grinding from Fozzie, her poos are really tiny, but loads of them and she is eating really well.

Archie's face looks really sore, the skin is really red and his eye is discharging a lot, but he is happy and doing naughty bunny things like following me outside and into the garage to explore. He is really grumpy with Fozzie, and me actually, but has a lust for life right now.

We have a check up with the vet on Wednesday, so we'll see how things are then.

I am so sorry.

What a courageous and selfless decision you made. Hugs to you.

Binky Free at the bridge bunnies, free from pain now.

I am so so sorry, at least they went to the bridge together and will play forever binkying and grooming.. X

Back