• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bowl Movement Issue, ... tennis-bowl sized fece- accumulation on his behind

Hi:
Since Monday, October 28th, one of Dutch drawf rabbits has bowl-movement issue, either diarrhea or simply he's not able to deposit his bowl-movement that he normall does. There is a tennis-ball sized bowl-movement accumulation hanging on his behind. Otherwise, he appears to be healthy and nothing is wrong with him.

Just wonder why his huge bowl-movement/feces started hanging on his behind, instead tiny drop of feces he's normally deposit until this occurred?

If he's suffering from some sort of illness/sick, what sort of sick he got? What treatment should I give him in order to his bowl-movement back to the normal state?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Is it quite soft? Sounds like excess caeceotrophs. Sorry for very brief reply for now - I'm literally just logging off.

Thanks for the response.

I've been feeding all of Netherland Drawf rabbits 'commercial rabbit food' purchased from pet shop.

I'd appreciate it if someone would offer me more detailed response on this regard. Because, I'm truly concern and worry about. Thanks,

First off, you will need to clean the feces off your rabbits bottom if you haven't already. If left on there it can irritate the skin and can even dry and plug up the opening. You will probably have to do a butt bath(NOT a full bath) if it is as bad as it sounds. You do need to try and minimize the stress of bathing though, so your rabbit doesn't get overly stressed from it, and you also need to make sure your rabbit stays warm until thoroughly dry.
http://www.disabledrabbits.com/baths--cleaning.html

Next, you really need to take your rabbit to a good rabbit vet asap! For your rabbit to be having that much mushy poop, it could indicate a serious problem such as a parasite or bacteria, in which case you will need the appropriate medication.

Mushy poop can also be caused by a rabbits diet. In a few cases, sudden introduction of a new food or a certain veggie or food, can cause this to happen, but more often it is caused by too many sugars and carbohydrates in the diet and not enough fiber. Rabbits need a lot of indigestible fiber to keep their digestive tracts functioning well. They get this from the addition of grass hay in their diet. Not enough fiber and too many sugars and carbohydrates from pellets or treats, can cause the overgrowth of harmful bacteria in the rabbits cecum, which leads to dysfunction and mushy poop, which can then lead to other health problems which can be fatal if not treated swiftly and correctly.

The best way to get the mushy poop to clear up is to feed only unlimited grass hay(timothy, orchard, brome, meadow, etc), for several days to weeks, until there is no soft poop for several days, then gradually adding pellets/veggies back into the diet, one at a time and slowly, starting off with small amounts and gradually increasing. You do need to make sure that your bunny is eating the grass hay really well if it is not used to eating hay, as some rabbits that aren't used to hay won't eat it even if they are starving. And you want to feed as much hay as your rabbit wants to eat and continue doing that even when adding back in pellets or other food. You won't know whether or not your rabbit will be able to tolerate pellets anymore or the amount you will be able to feed, until you start adding them back into the diet(slowly), but you won't be able to feed the same amount of pellets as before or the mushy poop is sure to come back. At the first sign of mushy poop, you should decrease the pellet amounts til your rabbit no longer has mushy poop. This rabbit should never have any sugary starchy treats either. So if this is diet related, a change of diet can often fix the problem, but if it has advanced too far and there is too much of an overgrowth of bacteria, or there is a parasite causing this, then only medications from the vet will help correct this.

http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
http://www.sawneeanimalclinic.com/downloads/chronic_intermittent_diarrhea_in_rabbits.pdf
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/

Last edited:
I suspect it is a dietary issue, as mentioned in the previous post. How much of the commercial food are you feeding, and how much hay? Do you feed any vegetables, etc?

Another potential suspect is a dental problem. Or even arthritis, where the bunny can no longer eat up its caecotrophs, as it should.

We can only advise on here but you really need to take him to the vets asap. Rabbits deteriorate very quickly. Hopefully it's something simple.

The issue is we can only guess, and going into a lot of detail isn't worth it until we are sure of the problem and bunny has seen a vet.

Yes, the rabbit might need to see a vet. But don't you think it's worth checking out the diet first?

Thanks everyone for concerned and thoughtful responses to one of my Netherland Dwarf Rabbits.

Right after having read, 'diet,' I went to Pet-store to purchase Hay mixed with carrot, because I all forgot to feel 'hay' which has fiber and good for digestive system.

The region where I live has NO vet taking Rabbits, .... they only takes Dogs, Cats and horses. Then, I don't know how to proceed this to make him getting better. He has a good life and I still love having him, but since there is no vet to consult, ... I'm kind stuck.

It does sound like a dietary problem. How much of the dried food does your rabbit eat a day roughly? They need a diet of at least 80% hay (probably more like 90%, in my view), but you'll need to gradually systematically try to move the bunny over to that. If the problem doesn't gradually resolve as less dried food is eaten and more hay, it could be a dental issue (especially since the rabbit hasn't been eating hay up to now). For that you would definitely need a vet, I'm afraid.

But hopefully you'll be able to resolve this problem through diet.

If he has never had hay, then this is almost certainly why his bum is mucky. Are there no vets at all that will look at your rabbit? If he has never eaten hay, it is highly likely that he will have bad dental problems, or some long term damage to his digestive system. Only a vet will be able to tell you if he does, although I know it can be difficult in the USA to find a vet that knows about rabbits. Maybe ring around some veterinary clinics and ask?

Rabbits should be given unlimited hay every day. It should make up 80% of their diet, a rabbit should eat a ball of hay the size of themselves every day to keep everything healthy. Pelleted foods, such as Excel, Science Selective or Oxbow are the best foods (I have no idea if these are available in the U.S), but they should only have an eggcupful per day of these pellets. Muesli or mix foods are not recommended since they cause gut and dental problems; they are high in sugar and can make a bun overweight.

I would stop feeding all veg and greens and slowly cut back the amount of rabbit food he is eating. It may take a while for him to get used to eating hay, but if you cut back the food, he should start eating it.

Thanks everyone for concerned and thoughtful responses to one of my Netherland Dwarf Rabbits.

Right after having read, 'diet,' I went to Pet-store to purchase Hay mixed with carrot, because I all forgot to feel 'hay' which has fiber and good for digestive system.

The region where I live has NO vet taking Rabbits, .... they only takes Dogs, Cats and horses. Then, I don't know how to proceed this to make him getting better. He has a good life and I still love having him, but since there is no vet to consult, ... I'm kind stuck.

Have you tried posting on one of the USA related websites asking for a vet near you? Try Bunspace as that has a lot of USA people - or PM Tamsin on here who I think knows some others.

update:
Thanks ALL for your insights and advices, .... particularly 'hay.' I started feeding only 'hay' after having read responses and my cuties/Dutch is ALL in good shape and VERY health now.:wave:
Also, he's been NO pellets at all and replaced 'carrots' and 'rabbit's goodie' consiting fruits and veges, in my guess and the rabbit loves to eat. He's back to normal, a 'healthy and happy' rabbit.:thumb:

Thanks AGAIN!!!:love:

I'm so glad to hear that the mushy poop has cleared up and your rabbit is doing well.

Thanks for the update.

Back