PDA

View Full Version : Housing improvements ready for the winter?

yaretzi
31-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Last night I screwed on a load of polycarbonate sheets to 3 sides of their main run, to protect from both the wind and the sideways rain. The last 2 years I've stapled plastic sheeting on but I've found that the wood underneath got all mildewy and it tended to get holes in etc, so I'm hoping this is a better version!

This weekend I need to buy some wood from homebase to create two small end panels for N&T's narrow winter run. You can see from this pic that the end panels have been wood for the last 2 years, but I'm going to create proper mesh ones to use the runaround doors that I bought earlier this year. It'll be much more secure, and make it easier to move!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/404678_10151076180330094_1620159294_n.jpg

In case anyone is confused, I use the narrow 8 x 2 ft winter run between the shed and their 6 x 4 run to move the 6 x 4 run off the grass. There's a runaround tube/connection between the shed and narrow run, then another between the narrow run and the 6 x 4 run. N&T spend most of their time in the run on the grass though :roll:

Apart from that I just need to put some bubblewrap inside the windows in a few weeks when it gets a bit chillier, and that's about it!

Anyone else got winter-y jobs to do?

Willow_Warren
31-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Did you invite the bunnies in the a romantic dinner? Candles - wine etc... :D

Hannah :)

yaretzi
31-10-2013, 11:15 PM
Did you invite the bunnies in the a romantic dinner? Candles - wine etc... :D

Hannah :)

:lol: That was actually Christmas day the year before last (in our outdated dining room!). It was a small affair by our standards, hence the mediocre decorations :lol: N&T decided to join us though, as you can see :love:

I bought my wood from homebase today and constructed the two end panels. Just gave them one coat of cuprinol, so I'll do another coat later and another tomorrow, then they'll be ready to mesh at the weekend :D I'll try to get a pic of my polycarbonate wall thingies, but it's sooo cold that I'm trying to avoid going outside if at all possible!

Karen's
31-10-2013, 11:24 PM
I thought that was a jar of jam on the table and thought you were having red wine for breakfast!:lol:
I'm having a lovely shed... Well summerhouse, built for the bunnies for winter. Interesting you say to use bubble wrap on the windows when it's cold, I'll make a note of that. Thank you.

yaretzi
31-10-2013, 11:32 PM
I thought that was a jar of jam on the table and thought you were having red wine for breakfast!:lol:
I'm having a lovely shed... Well summerhouse, built for the bunnies for winter. Interesting you say to use bubble wrap on the windows when it's cold, I'll make a note of that. Thank you.

I find the bubblewrap really helps. My windows are both meshed, and I take the perspex out in the summer. In the autumn I put the perspex back in but then when it gets colder I put as much bubblewrap as I can in between the mesh and perspex. Otherwise all the warm air that the bunnies generate just goes out the windows! It really does help - the shed is a couple of degrees warmer the day after I put the bubblewrap in :D

BB Mommy
01-11-2013, 12:09 AM
For my own rabbits at home I have the tubular heaters in the shed and the rain covers to cover the front of the enclosures. Don't need to do to o much as my housing is wind and waterproof all year round.

At the sanctuary we are in the midst of winterising all the outdoor accommodations which includes every hutch run combo being double wrapped in bubble wrap and full covers being put on, all the sheds having polycarbonate put up at the Windows and adding extra snuggly areas inside everything.

All of the 50 guinea pigs are moved into the barn.

With over 30 groups living outside you can imagine the scale of the task in hand!

DomaNikki
01-11-2013, 01:51 PM
I find the bubblewrap really helps. My windows are both meshed, and I take the perspex out in the summer. In the autumn I put the perspex back in but then when it gets colder I put as much bubblewrap as I can in between the mesh and perspex. Otherwise all the warm air that the bunnies generate just goes out the windows! It really does help - the shed is a couple of degrees warmer the day after I put the bubblewrap in :D

I'm going to try bubblewrap this year :thumb:

tulsi
01-11-2013, 09:06 PM
I'm going to try bubblewrap this year :thumb:

Me too!