• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Doughnut's scared of the vetbed as had an accident

cpayne

Warren Veteran
Had a bit of a nightmare this morning. I opened the curtains and she gets all excited, running from her hutch to her playpen and begging and racing round. Unfortunately her nail got stuck in the vetbed in the hutch and trying to get it out ended up getting stuck in the arch to her playpen and somersaulted round about 4 times. She then sat in the corner of her playpen and was scared to go past the vetbed to get out.

I took it away then put it back once she was out and put her food outside in the room rather than in her playpen. She was really scared and I had to move the bowl a long way away from the hutch. She also seemed to be afraid of me:(

Not sure what to do now as it's nice to have the vet bed in as it's absorbant and cosy. I'm hoping she will go back to not being afraid, but since I'm at work I'll have to play it by ear tonight I guess. Anyone else had a similar experience. She did get stuck in her tunnel once before and ended up doing lots of somersaults but she is OK with it.

Oh bless, poor doughnut! She must of given herself quite a fright! Hope she's ok and forgives the vetbed soon!

Awwww poor doughnut. I remember the tunnel thread. Perhaps she will be ok if you cover the vetbed with a thin towel (tea towel so its smooth) for a bit.

Lots of bravery vibes to her x

I used to cover theirs with a cotton pillowcase or sheet so it was nice and soft. :)

Dudley had a similar incident with his favourite diggings blankie!! It got caught on a tiny split on his toenail and pulled tighter the more he tried to run off! It's quite a large fleece blanket and he was terrified as he couldnt get away from it and he was dragging it around! I had to trap him in a box and use a pair of scissors to cut the thread that had bound them together! Fortunately he wasnt frightened of the blankie and after he'd recovered he went about his usual bunny business and was soon back digging the blankie. I'm sure Doughnut will be ok she's probably a little bit traumatised.

Poor doughnut :oops:

She's associating the vet based with pain and fright isn't she :cry:

I can't offer any wise words I'm afraid but I can offer doughnut big hugs and nose rubs :wave:

Poor little girl. All of our buns have had frights from doing silly things and have gotten over them in time - some quicker than others - usually with the help of food. Lots of nose rubs for Doughnut - hopefully day of peace and quiet will have helped.:thumb:

Awwwwww Doughnut... Extra nose rubs for her, I haven't got any advice but I like the pillowcase idea... :wave: I hope she can move past the experience, bless her. She frightened herself... Xx

Poor Doughnut, I hope she has recovered from her fright. Sending snuggles for your sweet little girl. ((((((((Doughnut)))))))))) xxxx

Thanks everyone, she seemed OK when I got in but still a bit wary of me although once I sat down on the floor with a couple of her favourite muesli bits she was on my lap!

I like the pillow case idea but all my pillow cases smell of softener at the moment and when I wash the vet bed she is frightened of it for a while. I've tried washing it in just hot water to take the smell away but she still doesn't like it.

I have 4 vet beds so just using two that don't smell of anything! I know her sense of smell is a lot better and it is probably over powering for her whereas I can't really smell it.

I always have to keep the washing away from her as shes scared. She's a strange little one, not frightened of new people or loud noises just smells.

Back