• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

URGENT- help/ advice need on rescuing free ads bunny (Essex)

Rosie42

Mama Doe
Wasn't sure where was the best place to put this, so I thought it should go somewhere that it would definitely be seen.

Basically, a couple of months ago, a lady on one of the free-ads groups that I go on for advice posted up about a rabbit that she had bought for her daughter. She got it for free from a lady who had got bored of it. It was only 3 or 4 months old at this point, but when she picked it up it was caked in diarrhea. I messaged het telling that the bunny needed to see a vet, especially as she said that his first owner had been feeding him chocolate :evil::censored: she said that she couldn't afford to get him to a vet but would bathe the pooey bits and clean him up. I offered to take the rabbit several times but she was adamant that she would keep and look after him. I offered to give her some hay as I had recently lost my bunnies and had half a bag spare, and she came and picked it up. She told me that she would keep me updated with his progress, but stopped replying to my messages.

2 months later and she is selling him again :roll: she is selling him for a fiver because he has skin and fur issues (clearly caused because he has not been to a vet). I messaged her telling her that she will attract all the wrong people selling him for so little but she seemed to think that no one would pay any more than that as he was like damaged goods :( I offered to help her get him to a rescue centre instead and she has agreed.

The problem is that I am in North Essex, where there is a distinct lack of good rescues. I am dependent on my parents for transporting him as I cannot drive, and my dad has said that I am not having any more rabbits here, so I cannot take him in (even for a couple of hours, apparently :roll: although I may be able to push that if it is just holding him here to take him elsewhere or someone to get him). The rescue I found will take him, but not without £150 donation towards his neutering/ vaccinations, which I don't have. Other than that there is an rspca place about 45 mins away but I don't know if anyone will drive me there.

The lady from the rescue I spoke to advised me to phone the rspca and let them seize the rabbit. The problem is that the only way i'm going to get this woman's address is to say I'm collecting the rabbit, and if she then has them turn up instead then she's know it's me who's phoned them. She also has my address from when she picked up the hay and I don't want this to escalate into something nasty.

I'm not sure what to do and if anyone on here can help or offer advice? I'm in Clacton-on-sea, Essex.

This is one of the photos she sent me when she first got him. I haven't got any idea what he looks like now or what the set up he in is like (although I don't think it's very good).

I think she will put him into a rescue, but if she gets another offer he will go there first, I need to try and sort something soon.

I'm sure the rescue which I did the calendars for would take him, they never turn any animal away. They are in Swanley so the other side of the bridge for you. Is that too far?

Hii where in essex is the bun? If its close by I can possibly take it in as I have the room, what site is it advertise on

Yeah!:thumb: how kind of you curlyanwurly to take him in. Please update us tomorrow.
And well done Rosie42 for deciding to do something to try to help.

Back