• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly Willow.nodular MYXI. UD 1/11/13

Willowsmum

Mama Doe
Right.......I wasn't going to post on here,but I know someone is going to ask how willows bonding is going so I thought maybe it's best to update you all.

Before you read please, please make no judgements of me and the mistake I've made:oops: I'm still punishing myself and will continue to do so for some time I should imagine:evil:

As many of you know willow was due to go and stay at a revue to be bonded, on Sunday morning when were going yo take him he had a slight swelling on eye lid, but as he was 100% fine, I mean literally 100% !!! Alice was happy to take him, by the time we got there it actually seemed better and almost gone!:thumb:

Alice text me yesterday with a picture of willows eye which had clearly got worse plus she found more little lumpy things on cheek, Mouth and whatnot :cry: as you can imagine I went into COMPLETE panic mode. Cut a long story short, I had to wait for hubby to come home, we drove up to Gloucester from bristol in rush hour to get him, and rushed him to my vets last night.:oops:

The whole time he was still fine, sat eating hay and mint! Expert vet was called in, they were a bit puzzled because he was so well, but the Lumps are myxoids :shock:(I'm sure that's the word they used?)

They thought he had myxoids but not the FULL blown virus:thumb: chest was clear, not hot nothing on ears or other eye etc:thumb: they sent him home with metacam, had flea treatment (in case ) and told to keep a close eye, he is due back tomorrow for a check unless he gets worse.

They are also going to contact the vaccine company as it's very coincidental that he developed the first symptom 7 days after vaccine, although they said they would expect it with old vaccine but NOT the new one:shock: he was vaccinated Friday 18th October

I barely slept last night, and was dreading going to see him this morning in case he had got worse.:oops:

This morning, all his bumps seem the same, except he is not quite 100% in himself almost but not quite! he's very slightly off food, although has eaten so able to have metacam, still eating hay and has nibbled some veg now but doesn't want pellets or homemade treats (which is his favourite :cry:) I shall be keeping a close eye on him, my vets is 5 mins from my house and I won't hesitate to use them before to tomorrow if needed.

This is his eye this his eye this morning, I can't really take pics of the other lumps, it's too difficult.
I hope no one will judge or say I thought this might happen:roll: I made a catastrophic mistake and I hope I won't loose my boy because of it, I'm sure as rabbit lovers you can imagine how much he means to me

Last edited:
Hi Kelly,

I'm glad you've posted on here because you have nothing to be ashamed of. I've already spoken to you on FB so I will just use this space to send my hugs and wishes to you.

You are both in my thoughts and I am so hoping for a quick recovery for Willow.

xxxxxx

I hadn't seen that post before. Maybe you should put in your original post exactly what date little Willow was vaccinated and when the problems started? It might help the more knowledgeable posters make sense of it?

Not sure if it will help - just trying to think of things that might.

Yes good point.:thumb:

Poor lad :cry: I did mention this on your other thread but I think you must have missed it

It could be a small abscess, a cyst and of course there is always the risk of a Myxoma nodule

Obviously it is none of my business, but I personally would not take him to meet other Rabbits until a confirmed diagnosis has been established.

I hope he recovers well xx

Last edited:
Yes I had already left, didn't read it until I got back :oops:

Do you think he will recover?

Hopefully he will 'just' have the nodular form and although he may look awful, he will hopefully eventually recover. I would have a Vet listen to his chest on a regular basis as it is usually secondary bacterial issues that cause fatalities.

Has the Vet prescribed any Fucithalmic for his eyes ?

Also, you could give him some Echinacea in his drinking water to support his immune system as he fights the virus.

Hopefully he will 'just' have the nodular form and although he may look awful, he will hopefully eventually recover. I would have a Vet listen to his chest on a regular basis as it is usually secondary bacterial issues that cause fatalities.

Has the Vet prescribed any Fucithalmic for his eyes ?

Also, you could give him some Echinacea in his drinking water to support his immune system as he fights the virus.

No they give anything for his eye because it's not weepy or got any discharge.

Yes he's going tomorrow so I'll ask her to listen to his chest if she doesn't.
Do you think it will take a long time to recover jane?
How much echinacea do I put in his water?? Is it just the tablets you buy for humans??

The vet said to keep him in his house outside because it's familiar but if he is down tonight I'm tempted to bring him in and put him in the spare room in a made up pen where it's quiet but warm??? What do think?

No they give anything for his eye because it's not weepy or got any discharge.

Yes he's going tomorrow so I'll ask her to listen to his chest if she doesn't.
Do you think it will take a long time to recover jane?
How much echinacea do I put in his water?? Is it just the tablets you buy for humans??

The vet said to keep him in his house outside because it's familiar but if he is down tonight I'm tempted to bring him in and put him in the spare room in a made up pen where it's quiet but warm??? What do think?

Does he usually like being indoors ? If so then personally I would bring him in as it is going to get a lot colder over the next few days. But if being indoors is something he is never too keen on I would see how things go with leaving him in his usual home. But to make sure he has alot of warm bedding and a heat pad and that he is not in any damp or draughts.

The Echinacea I use is this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gaia-Herbs-...1383048095&sr=1-4&keywords=echinacea+children

I use 15-20 drops in drinking water once a day

As for how long can recovery take, that really depends on how things develop. If he remains free of respiratory tract infections and he does not stop eating/develop gut stasis then it will be a case of waiting for the nodules to scab over and fall off. This can leave unsightly craters but they should eventually heal and the fur should regrow. So he could look awful for a few weeks, but remain OK within himself.

Problems really arise if secondary bacterial infection, especially pneumonia, takes hold. Also, if he develops nodules very close to his actual eyeballs, these can cause nasty corneal ulcers. Nodules in the nasal passages can cause breathing problems and nodules in the mouth can mean the Bun stops eating.

Recovery from nodular Myxomatosis is certainly very possible, but it can be a long road and it is always very important that Bun is closely monitored by a Vet for the first sign of any of the potential 'secondaries'.

Hope he recovers soon. We all make mistakes, no one will judge you for it, we know how much you love him.

Doughnut was on echinecea for a while, recommended by Mark to build up her immune system. She had 1ml a day.

Good luck. xx

Thanks Christine :wave:

I've just been to check on him (doing 15 min obs) he's sat up eating hay, ate some parsley and a homemade treat which is pretty much pellets anyway, I've given him a snugglesafe too.

I've decided to bring him later as it looks like this is gonna be long road to recovery anyway and what with the cold wind and fireworks I think it's best, so I'm going to spend some time setting up a pen after lunch for my boy

Thanks Christine :wave:

I've just been to check on him (doing 15 min obs) he's sat up eating hay, ate some parsley and a homemade treat which is pretty much pellets anyway, I've given him a snugglesafe too.

I've decided to bring him later as it looks like this is gonna be long road to recovery anyway and what with the cold wind and fireworks I think it's best, so I'm going to spend some time setting up a pen after lunch for my boy

I think that's a good idea :) I would keep him in permanently then so he is in an environment with a consistent temperature xx

Hope he gets well soon.

Did you keep Alice updated - I'm not sure if she'd need to go into quarantine or not or at least keep a close eye on the bun he was being bonded with? Is nodular myxi contagious?

Back