• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

In a desperate measure, as nothing else is working...

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
...we have upped Ginger's metacam to 0.8ml x 2 daily ( we aren't doing other pain meds due to stress etc of trips), providing her with pretty much unlimited pellets, profibre pellets, and anything else she will eat.

In the past 48 hrs she has put on 200g. First time she's put on any weight in about 6 months.

I know it might not be right, but she's enjoying it and to be honest, if that's what she has towards the end, then so be it. She looks very frail, falls over an awful lot, can barely periscope but she is still Gingery. That's the important part.

My vet says she'll follow us and help where she can, but won't interfere unless she feels Ginger is suffering at which point will tell us.

I know nothing about pain relief doses but it sounds as if you are doing the best thing to keep Ginger as happy and healthy as posssible. Glad she is still being herself. It cant be easy for you.

Quality of life over quantity is always my mantra. I would do as you are if Ginger were my Rabbit. Hope she remains comfortable and continues to enjoy all her extra food xx

I would do that too. In fact, I did similar with my bunnies (albeit that the diet was different as the problem wasn't weight loss). It's very difficult, but you are best placed to know when the time is right and quality of life is low.

Quality of life over quantity is always my mantra. I would do as you are if Ginger were my Rabbit. Hope she remains comfortable and continues to enjoy all her extra food xx

If ever there were a ringing endorsement.

Sorry Ginger has gone downhill. I want to add my vibes.

You know her better than anyone.

I am doing a similar thing with my old dog at the mo. She's on a high dose of metacam daily but it's improving her mobility so it's worth taking the risk.

Hope Ginger continues to put on weight x

I'm sorry Ginger is so poorly. But I think your course of action is the best you can do for her. Good to hear there's been some weight gain though. During Mimzy's recuperation from tilt I had to bring pellets back to his diet just to keep weight on. Now he won't give them up again but they make him happy. :)

I wish I could wave a wand and make her all better, Gray. She is such a precious bun. :cry:

Thinking of you and your family and sending vibes for more happy time with Ginger. Please give Biccy and his sweet girl noserubs from me.
Bless you. xxxx

I know you have a lot on your plate, so I just wanted to check in and leave some more healing vibes for Ginger. Thinking of you all. xxxx

I feel as though I have missed something, I quite out of the loop at the moment.
I am sorry Ginger is poorly, poor girl. Please give her a gental kiss from me and also one for Biccy xx

New regime seems to be working quite well for her.

She's very bright, isn't putting weight on at a huge rate but should be with the amount she's eating :oops: :lol:

I can feel a difference in her, so she must be putting something on.

She's not had a dental now for months, which is a shocker, she's about 2 months overdue now and showing no signs, no idea why that is.

Vet feels there's something else going on inside that we aren't aware of, but i'm not prepared to put her through more diagnostics work, she's had too much already in in her short life. I want her to enjoy herself now for whatever is left and if that means high dose metacam and whatever else she wants, it's time she had it.

She had cabbage the other day, which is normally a no no, but you should of seen them :lol: It was like a childs birthday party in my office!

I think you're doing absolutely everything right with her. The 'rules' are for healthy bunnies. Sometimes they need to bent or broken for the ill ones.

Porridge oats soaked in water always go down well too. ;)

I think you're doing absolutely everything right with her. The 'rules' are for healthy bunnies. Sometimes they need to bent or broken for the ill ones.

Porridge oats soaked in water always go down well too. ;)

She wont eat them wet :roll: She takes them dry but I know not to give her many dry as they just gunk up once inside her, silly bunny!

Thank you :love: I know you know all about poorly sick bunnies, so I appreciate your post :)

I missed this the first time but I'm glad Ginger is still Gingery. I think in this case you're doing the best for her.

Glad the cabbage went down well :lol: I've got some rose heads that came on late that OH will later be beheading, as our lot go mental for them :thumb:

I missed this thread too. I was wondering how Ginger was doing. Sending tons of vibes, i hope she remains happy and nomming for a good while longer x

She wont eat them wet :roll: She takes them dry but I know not to give her many dry as they just gunk up once inside her, silly bunny!

Thank you :love: I know you know all about poorly sick bunnies, so I appreciate your post :)

The most important piece of advice I can give is always trust your gut instinct. Do what you think is right for your rabbits, not what others decide is right. Sometimes you can post on here, just because you need a place to talk about stuff like this. It's hard going having a constantly sick pet, anyone who has gone through the regime with a pet or family member will know how draining it is. But sometimes you post and people give you advice which is really well meaning, but they don't know the context. They might tell you something is wrong, or that you should do something else, but if you don't feel it's right don't do it.

Grim is very limited to what he can eat now as he has practically no teeth left. I have to leave soggy pellets down all day for him as I'm away at work for almost twelve hours. Of course Smoo was also eating them and I had to leave enough down for both of them and she was getting fat. I absolutely hate fat pets with a passion, everyone tells you how bad it is and it's so frowned upon. But there I was letting it happen. I thought out every option and I knew this was the right one. The idea was always that after Grim passed away, Smoo would go back to a 'proper' rabbit diet and be healthy again. Of course sadly Smoo passed away before Grim. And you know what? I'm just so happy she got to have everything she loved before she left. I'm so happy I didn't separate them so they could eat properly or any of the other options I had. They were together and they were happy because I knew it was right for them.

Follow your heart and you won't go wrong.

if it helps, matt was on 0.8ml twice a day for years. it is what he needed so it's what he had. i know ginger has other issues aswell but just thought i'd mention it. sending her love and hugs x

Back