• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A little advice required please

daran71

New Kit
Hi all - As i have mentioned in my introduction thread we have 5 rabbits in total. We initially had 3 which were supposed to be all female but discovered one was a male when young appeared. So at one point we had 18 of the little darlings! We managed to successfully home the kits, apart from the two we decided to keep.

Since then we have kept the boys and girls apart and hadn't had any problems until recently. Initially the two mothers were together but we separated them once we spotted the litters. Even after the kits were gone they didn't seem keen to live together anymore and have been living in separate hutches since.

We sometimes let the adults have the run of the garden and i have built a walk in pen so they can wander freely at times without falling victim to local cats or foxes. They are kept apart but obviously having children it is possible they may have been accidentally out together once?

Almost three weeks ago we spotted the hay moving and found another 6 kits. This was a complete surprise but they were feeding well and are a good size. With the storm that was threatened last night i decided that rather than leave the mother and kits in their existing hutch I would transfer them to a smaller hutch i could fit into my shed. I cleaned it out and used fresh sawdust and hay (same as always used) and transferred the nest from the other hutch. The kits decided straight away that this was a great adventure and were running about and having great fun. We were able to watch them feeding and felt secure that we had done all we could to give them a fair chance even through winter.

This evening we nipped out to check the water and food and found mum dead. She had shown no sign of any illness and was feeding the kits perfectly. When the earlier litters were born we had no experience of what they should look like and what size they should be at each day/stage so we weighed them daily and kept a chart. These new ones seem a little bigger than those ones and have grown rapidly. They are very lively and all have eyes open and are fully formed and are just mini rabbits. Whatever caused mum to die so suddenly was very fast. I am wondering whether the electrical storm this evening may have caused a heart attack?

Anyway we now have the problem of 6 young kits around three weeks old who now have no mother. I have other females but they wont be producing milk as they are not with kits. There seems to be so much conflicting information about feeding and hand rearing so some definitive answers would be good!

Thanks for your reply - yes we did look at getting them spayed but it is quite expensive so went for the option of keeping them apart. Looking after kits until they are reared wasn't too difficult a job and we ensured the last lot went to good homes and we still get lots of lovely feedback on how they are doing!

I am going to have a good look through the thread now and see if we can hand rear them

I would guess being that bouncy they are probably feeding on solids? If that's the case then hopefully you'll be able to get away with making sure they have plenty of that and water available in a bowl (they might not have learnt to use a bottle) and that may be enough. They grow so fast it makes quite a bit of difference if they are just three weeks or just about four - the later it might be best not to introduce milk as it's more likely to upset than help.

Castrating males is generally cheaper than spaying - try asking around local charities/RSPCA and see if any offer neutering vouchers too that may help with cost.

I took a trip to our local pet shop this morning and bought some kitten milk formula - designed for cats I am informed it's about as good as it gets for rabbits? I have used a flat saucer and they seem to be lapping and a couple have urinated since too. I kept them in the house last night and may have to improvise some sort of indoor area for the next few weeks so they have room to get about but are warm. I saw them trying to eat mums food a couple of days ago but not sure how successful they were but i will introduce lots of hay and some solid food and see how they go. I have weighed them also so i can keep a good track.

Can you get them some probiotics to add to their water too? Little kits have sensitive little tummies so might need some support. Avipro is a good one you can get online.

Can you get them some probiotics to add to their water too? Little kits have sensitive little tummies so might need some support. Avipro is a good one you can get online.

I shall order some tomorrow - thanks for the tip!

An update - I have brought the hutch inside and cleaned and refreshed the sawdust and hay - I have used a mortar and pestle and have crushed down some dried food to make it easier for them to eat and digest - they have all taken milk by syringe too. The have a nice surrogate "mum" in the form of a similarly sized teddy. I have also put a fresh water bottle up and gently introduced them to it.

After reading lots I will keep an eye on them and feed once or twice per day on the milk formula for at least a couple of weeks or until they seem to be eating the solid food without issues. Being inside they should be plenty warm enough and hopefully they will survive!!

No advice, all way out of my league, but sounds like an awesome adventure for you! Good luck with the kits.

Can you get a PM on mum? Might put your mind at rest that whatever happened to her will not happen suddenly to anybun else?

Sorry to hear you lost Mum but it could have been the move which upset her. Now you have brought the babies inside I suppose you realise you won't be able to put them back outside until April/May time. Maybe if you can post a photo of the babies we can guess their age then you will know what to look out for at different milestones. Now they don't have the protection of Mum's milk, it is best not to feed any fresh food for a few weeks, just keep their diet very simple and don't change their food, as their digestive system won't be able to cope. I would check the other female as they can produce milk without being pregnant. I have never experienced this myself and you would have to be very careful putting the babies with her so maybe better not to try. Good luck. Also, don't change the babies environment unless you have to.

Today I went and bought some very small syringes (1ml capacity) and all of the kits are happily taking around 6ml in one sitting. After this much they are fighting to get away and actively refusing the syringe so i am guessing they have had enough at this point?

I have some photos and videos of them feeding that I will happily upload once i can add attachments!!

Spontaneous lactation is possible in humans esp. if they have previously lactated so if you still have the mum of a previous litter (may have got confused over who gave birth to what though?) I would try introducing them on the off chance, but I say this with absolutely no knowledge of rearing baby rabbits so feel free to ignore :thumb:

Another update - 2 of the little ones went to live with a relative who has enough time to look after them and make it a bit easier for us to look after the remaining 4. So far all good - they are happily drinking at least 15ml per day and also taking some crushed dry food and some grated carrot (as suggested by a local vet) and are all gaining steadily.

They seem very happy and love being handled and are now completely used to the syringe - infact some of them dive for it when you produce a full one! Fingers crossed they all seem to be doing well but i guess only time will tell!

Just wanted to wish you good luck with the kits. I'm sorry you lost mum, what an awful shock. But it sounds like you are trying very hard to do the right thing for the kits and I applaud you for that :thumb:

well done - when we have hand raised we used kitten powder but made up double strength to imitate the richness of rabbit milk. We used canin royal which is a good high fat content and no sugars etc (some of the cheaper ones have sugar in).

By 4 weeks they should be weaning - small bits of hay as well as pellets.

Last night we noticed one of the kits seemed to be a bit tired and lifeless - also didn't want to take the final feed of the day. She did have a little run from my lap to sit on its favourite spot, my shoulder, but definitely wasn't her usual self. Found her this morning, passed away sadly. Of the 3 we have now 1 is almost identical to her and the other 2 are similar to each other. Whilst the other 2 are still thriving today we have seen a downturn in the other. She seems to have some loose motions and she is as lifeless as the other one was yesterday. I am not optimistic about its chances. Really sad and my children are upset but fingers crossed the other two continue to thrive.

If there is loose stool there's could be an infection, or something like coccidiosis. Can a vet do a home visit or would you be able to take them there or something?

Another update - Sadly we did lose the other poorly kit but I am happy to say the remaining two with us and the two elsewhere are thriving. Our are well over 300g's each with one nearer to 400g. The are eating proper food , although we still use a mortar and pestle to make the bits smaller. They still take milk but are less interested as the days go by. They will drink water from a small bowl but don't seem to want to use a traditional bottle? They have great characters already and know how to get our attention if we enter the room and don't immediately turn our attention to them!!!

Fantastic news that they are doing well :thumb: I'm sorry that you lost the other kit. Are they eating hay yet as well as pellets? I'm not actually sure at what age they can but I know it's important to encourage good hay eating early on!

Yes should have mentioned - they have a plentiful supply of hay and seem to be enjoying copious amounts ......

Back