• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can't get this bunny outta my head...

Schez

Mama Doe
*Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong section becomes a ramble*

Before I found my beautiful Phoebe, I came across another advert but it was rather far for me to travel so I let it go... (Or so I thought :roll:)

Since then, I find myself thinking of her lots. I know people might think I'm silly :oops: but I can't seem to get this poor lass out of my mind. I can't talk about it with hubby as he will be annoyed. Plus I know I can't possibly help every bunny who needs it and I need to be realistic...

I don't know if her situation warrants me getting in contact with the free-ads team... She's a black lop at a year old... Some fur loss due to Flemish buck trying to get at her. But owner sure she can't be pregnant as she was in a locked cage. There are no pics of set up. :shock:

I would go and get her in a heartbeat but I know I will be ridiculed by my family and made to feel down about it. My mum has already been very critical over Phoebe... And I've just had issues with FIL about my set ups (if you didn't see my post, he thinks they are too big... *facepalm*)

Anyhoo...

Uuuuuurrrrrrrggh! What is wrong with me?!!

Where would you put her though? Don't worry about FIL, we can soon sort him out.

This is it... I know deep down I can't help her.. It's going around and around in my head. The only thing suitable would be to bond her with a pair... There's not even a pic of the girl. Plus, I don't think hubby would do it... (He's my sensible head ;)) and I keep thinking of JackJanes recent post about the things to consider before.... It would all be very well going on a "rescue mission" but then I risk putting my other bunnies at risk. :(

I just can't help but wonder what will happen to her... What if she is pregnant? :shock: I know I've gotta let it go. Just needed somewhere for the thoughts to go. :lol:

I still think of this adorable little harlequin lop I saw in the same shop that I adopted Fiver from that I waned to take home sooooo badly. Not to encourage the store (this was the last litter that was sold there before their new policy of adoptions only) but because Pip and Mimzy's bond hadn't cemented and I didn't want to have to try and bond three, I wanted two pairs. I don't even know what gender it was, but it was so small and quiet, stayed away from the others in the tank, and I wasn't sure it would get a good home otherwise. (So many people have snakes up here... *shudder* ) But I knew my OH wouldn't go for it, so I left it. :cry:
I still think of it today and wonder what happened to it. I should've stood up and insisted, but I had pushed my OH with Fiver's adoption and didn't want to think he might tell me to rehome them all, so....
*sigh* There will be some you will never get out of your head. Not just bunnies. I have a laundry list of animals I wish I had rescued. :cry:

((((((((((((((((Huge hugs for you)))))))))))))))))) xxxx

I still think of this adorable little harlequin lop I saw in the same shop that I adopted Fiver from that I waned to take home sooooo badly. Not to encourage the store (this was the last litter that was sold there before their new policy of adoptions only) but because Pip and Mimzy's bond hadn't cemented and I didn't want to have to try and bond three, I wanted two pairs. I don't even know what gender it was, but it was so small and quiet, stayed away from the others in the tank, and I wasn't sure it would get a good home otherwise. (So many people have snakes up here... *shudder* ) But I knew my OH wouldn't go for it, so I left it. :cry:
I still think of it today and wonder what happened to it. I should've stood up and insisted, but I had pushed my OH with Fiver's adoption and didn't want to think he might tell me to rehome them all, so....
*sigh* There will be some you will never get out of your head. Not just bunnies. I have a laundry list of animals I wish I had rescued. :cry:

((((((((((((((((Huge hugs for you)))))))))))))))))) xxxx

Thank you so, so much for responding and understanding. I just don't know how to get my heart past it... There's not enough info there to know if I should be passing this on to the free-ads team on here... :?

I also don't want people to get the wrong idea and think I'll just keep adding rabbits to my beautiful bunch and not have the resources to care for them all. I just genuinely keep thinking of her and wondering where she will end up and needed somewhere to put the thoughts down... :( For all I know, she might already be rehomed...
This poor doe came up before Phoebe... but I know that Phoebe was meant to be. :love: Plus, I'm still in contact with the previous owner (so far) and she has asked for updates, so through my snippets of Phoebe's progress, I've dropped bunny care info/tips, just incase she thinks about getting more rabbits in the future or she may even pass bits on to others... You just never know... ;):thumb:

Maybe one day I'll end up working in rescue... Might help me feel I can do something more than I can do at the present. :love:

(((((((((((Hugs))))))))))) to you too. Thanks for "getting" it. :)

I do this so often, thinking about rabbits that I can't have. Well I did up until recently anyway, but now I have something to look forward to.. :D

I got into a really bad habit of checking for giants in the area and looking on preloved. I don't know why because I love the rabbits I have, I guess I just feel a bit empty still.

I do this too. Check the 'free to good home' sites. Not just rabbits either :oops:

I also keep Jane's recent post in mind re; caring properly for those you have now. I have recently fallen for a lovely tortoiseshell cat but she is a ten hour round trip from us and there is a cat protection place literally half an hour away so it doesnt make sense.

Having a compassionate heart can be very difficult at times.

It can be very upsetting; I admit I tend to stay away from free ad sites now because I know that I can't help them all and I need to concentrate on the bunnies I have already.

You mentioned that you didn't know whether it would warrant sending the link to the Free Ads team though and I just wanted to point out that it doesn't necessarily have to be rabbits that are in imminent danger of some sort so you could still send them the link. :D The Free Ads team primarily exist to send out some polite advice about the pitfalls of rehoming via sites like gumtree etc, how best to ensure the rabbit(s) get the best home, advice re. neutering etc before rehoming so it sounds like they might still be able to offer some helpful info to the seller.

It can be very upsetting; I admit I tend to stay away from free ad sites now because I know that I can't help them all and I need to concentrate on the bunnies I have already.

You mentioned that you didn't know whether it would warrant sending the link to the Free Ads team though and I just wanted to point out that it doesn't necessarily have to be rabbits that are in imminent danger of some sort so you could still send them the link. :D The Free Ads team primarily exist to send out some polite advice about the pitfalls of rehoming via sites like gumtree etc, how best to ensure the rabbit(s) get the best home, advice re. neutering etc before rehoming so it sounds like they might still be able to offer some helpful info to the seller.

Thank you.. :wave: I am a little embarrassed... People prob think I'm over reacting. :oops: I'm not looking any more... Truly painful... But I have contacted someone on the Free Ads team... (Thank you for confirming it's ok, I didn't want to bother people unnecessarily) Which will help tell that inner voice to keep it down in there... :shock::lol:;)

It's just my gut feeling is telling me something ain't right for this bunny. I wish I hadn't seen it as it plays on my mind... If I could figure a workable way of having her, she would be here by now... :lol: but I am concentrating on the bunnies who need me here.

I wouldn't be very good working in rescue would I? :?

I wouldn't be very good working in rescue would I? :?

I think we're the sort of people who would bring them all home :lol: I now have a list of about 8 rabbits who I want to take care of, including one of a friend who I want to do a midnight-raid on because he's not being looked after properly, but none of which I can do anything about :cry:

I think we're the sort of people who would bring them all home :lol: I now have a list of about 8 rabbits who I want to take care of, including one of a friend who I want to do a midnight-raid on because he's not being looked after properly, but none of which I can do anything about :cry:

Oh, What a situation... Any way of slipping in bunny care advice with friend? Maybe slip in what you do for your buns? Sorry, I'll keep it buttoned - it's all gone through your mind already. :oops:
Hugs to you though, must be horrible to be that close to someone but feeling you can't do anything. :(

My mum is terrible for telling me that it's not my problem/I'm just over reacting... :( but in a way I guess she's right and just worries I'll take too much on. :oops:

I do, and it does slowly trickle in, drip drip drip, but she's only just taken her cat to the vets to be neutered (funded by PDSA) after years of nagging so it's a VERY slow process. She's not deliberately neglectful, just a mum to 4 with so so much on her plate. Honestly I think she has so much to worry about it's questionable whether she should have animals but how do you say that to a person without alienating them completely? :cry:

Karl is the same. "You can't help them all" he says - no, but I'll have a damn good go at trying :lol:

I do, and it does slowly trickle in, drip drip drip, but she's only just taken her cat to the vets to be neutered (funded by PDSA) after years of nagging so it's a VERY slow process. She's not deliberately neglectful, just a mum to 4 with so so much on her plate. Honestly I think she has so much to worry about it's questionable whether she should have animals but how do you say that to a person without alienating them completely? :cry:

Karl is the same. "You can't help them all" he says - no, but I'll have a damn good go at trying :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: omg... That's exactly what my brain responds with when I get told that. I'm not alone! :thumb:

Your friend sounds frazzled... :( It's a hard one isn't it... :shock: ...:? Like you say, if you go in too hard, you risk not being able to help at all... And she prob needs you around too.

Giving up

I am going to have to give up... :cry: And I feel stupid now.

It's a hard lesson but maybe I will actually learn something... :oops::oops:

I did contact the free ad-team and it was agreed there is a bit of a situation regarding this poor bunny that's is on my mind.

However, we can't really move on it until there is a home waiting for her.

I've had to face facts, I can't offer a home... I thought about contacting my local rescue, but then my husband pointed out that she is 1 hour and 20 mins away... and thats not taking traffic/finding the place into consideration, so it will cost over £40 in petrol... He's not keen to go and collect if she's not for me.

If I had an empty set up I could take her, but I haven't got the funds to go out and buy a new set up.
I've asked some people who I thought might be able to help but they can't either... Plus, the thought of a possibly pregnant doe and no further info on the bunny's health etc; means people can't see what they would be taking on.

I've done nothing but gone around in circles and stressed myself out, which is completely useless.
I'll have to put it down to experience.

i couldn't careless if she has 4 or 10 kids if she isn't looking after an animal properly then she needs to be told who calres how she takes it , its more important its said for the animals sake ...people keep quiet way too often i would sooner fall out with someone then not say anything ... i couldn't not....animals comes first they have to they have no voice ;)

i couldn't careless if she has 4 or 10 kids if she isn't looking after an animal properly then she needs to be told who calres how she takes it , its more important its said for the animals sake ...people keep quiet way too often i would sooner fall out with someone then not say anything ... i couldn't not....animals comes first they have to they have no voice ;)

I'll be sure when I see her next to say hey, it doesn't matter that you have a 9 year old with autism who smears **** up the wall and sleeps a couple of hours a night and a 3 month old baby as well as 2 other kids to look after, you need to prioritise that rabbit because otherwise he'll be taken away to a rescue to sit there for months, possibly years, because everywhere is rammed full. That'll go down well - she'll feel even worse about her situation and reject what little advice and support I can offer which is going to leave the animals worse off, not better. :roll:

The rabbit is fed and clean. The fact that it's not been neutered, on its own, eating cheap food and in a hutch that's far too small are issues that can and will be dealt with in time. I don't want it to be in that situation and I'd love, as I said, to do a midnight raid to bring it back and put it into a larger hutch / shed but I can't.

Not that it's any of your business, but I was actually there this morning and I've mentioned the Moore Space for Pets facebook page which she's going to use to buy a run so that s/he has some exercise space. I'm also going to buy some books for the kids so that they can help out. Next priority is fixing up the double hutch that she's been given so the rabbit has more room to move around.

Like I said, drip drip drip. One little thing at a time.

I'll be sure when I see her next to say hey, it doesn't matter that you have a 9 year old with autism who smears **** up the wall and sleeps a couple of hours a night and a 3 month old baby as well as 2 other kids to look after, you need to prioritise that rabbit because otherwise he'll be taken away to a rescue to sit there for months, possibly years, because everywhere is rammed full. That'll go down well - she'll feel even worse about her situation and reject what little advice and support I can offer which is going to leave the animals worse off, not better. :roll:

The rabbit is fed and clean. The fact that it's not been neutered, on its own, eating cheap food and in a hutch that's far too small are issues that can and will be dealt with in time. I don't want it to be in that situation and I'd love, as I said, to do a midnight raid to bring it back and put it into a larger hutch / shed but I can't.

Not that it's any of your business, but I was actually there this morning and I've mentioned the Moore Space for Pets facebook page which she's going to use to buy a run so that s/he has some exercise space. I'm also going to buy some books for the kids so that they can help out. Next priority is fixing up the double hutch that she's been given so the rabbit has more room to move around.

Like I said, drip drip drip. One little thing at a time.

calm down your the one coming on here saying the rabbit is being neglected ..make your mind up!

maybe when your drip feeding her advice about rabbit neglect you could drip feed her about birth control....her choice to have kids not the rabbits choice to life in a small hutch and live on cheap food ....;)

Back