• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

They will stay as 2 pairs.

Jackaroonie

Mama Doe
So yesterday me and the buns came down and stayed in my granny's spare room so I could attempt to bond the two pairs into a group of 4. I was debating whether it would be a good idea at all but thought i would at least try. Flopsy instantly went over and started grooming Pixie - Flopsy has always been such a docile and loving bunny especially when bonding is concerned. After about 30 seconds Pickle lunged towards him and I could feel a scuffle brewing and I didn't want any bun getting hurt as I know Flopsy would as he has health issues. So immediately I put a partition in the playpen and they've been partitioned (panels doubled up) since last night.

All going ok through the divide , not really any referred aggression and they'll sniff then ignore however Flopsy just went to see Pickle through a single panel and Pickle went for him aggressively trying to bite his nose and this really confused and upset Flopsy as he's not used to having aggression shown to him - he has such a a gentle nature and wouldn't hurt a fly. I know nipping, mounting , lunging chasing is all normal bonding behaviour but I'm not happy with it in this case.

Flopsy is quite poorly with his dental issues , kidney disease and recently arthritis although pain is all under control I think Pickle still will pick at him because Flopsy has a disadvantage. I don't want to risk bonding them and then encountering trouble down the line. My gut instinct is telling me 'this isn't going to work , give up and leave them as they are - happy in their pairs'.

It's a shame but i would rather not bond them and issues encounter down the line because Pickle as sweet and loving he is - he really is quite dominant. Will be going home tomorrow with the bunnies and they can settle back into their shed. Will be able to give it a good clean beforehand. I'm hoping to get one of the pairs a separate setup so they can each have large setups.

You all probably think I'm a wimp and not given anything a chance but this is how I feel.

Aww Jack i think you have made a good decision, with Flopsy being a older boy it might be better just to keep them in their pairs, also all these new set-up ideas sound great, but making me jealous as you have so much space, you could probably fit 8 of my gardens in yours haha ;) xx :lol::lol: xx

I don't think you're a wimp. You've done what's best for your bunnies. I know nothing about bonding, but it's better to have your two pairs with the already amazing space you have, than 4 singles, who would still have lots of space, but would be lonely.

You know your bunnies best, no one can judge you!

:wave:

Jack, I really think it will work. I don't think anything will happen, they were laid with each other on either side of the divide. :? Never mind. I kinda got the impression that you were not going to go through with it from the start.

Hope they are all settle back into their homes. x

I don't think you're a wimp. You've done what's best for your bunnies. I know nothing about bonding, but it's better to have your two pairs with the already amazing space you have, than 4 singles, who would still have lots of space, but would be lonely.

You know your bunnies best, no one can judge you!

:wave:

This. You gave it a shot and only you know your rabbits. It's no biggie they are not a quad, they have a fabulous set up anyways x

I understand this feeling. I would love to try to rebond Mimzy and Pip, and perhaps add Fiver as their third, but with Mimzy having residual tilt, he tends to be doing much more chasing and mounting than he used to do. I also fear that since Pip is a larger bun, she will return the favor and hurt him. :( It's so sad because they had almost been cemented when I first got them together years ago and because I was uneducated, when Mimzy started having sinus issues I thought he'd give something to Pip and make her ill too, so I separated them. :( They've not been together since.

Pip and Fiver on their own don't really seem to be a match, although I think Fiver would love a partner, Pip is not that keen.

So all my three live as singles, of course they know each other are there in the same room, but to keep them separated is the only way I can assure that there won't be fighting. :(

I think your two pairs are adorable in their own ways and as long as it ain't broke... :D xxxx

Back