• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help needed with brain freeze - Rescue help

Sam and Truffs

Mama Doe
I am having a funny 5 minutes, and I'm sure this is very simple but I just can't seem to get my head round it at the moment.
Let's say a rescue wanted you to have 60 square feet of space. I could attach the chicken coop (7 * 2 with the extra coop bit on an upper level) to the happy hutch (6 * 2 double decker). How much extra space would I need for a run, taking into consideration that both the run and the happy hutch have ramps? It's not an easy one to assess is it.

Last edited:
Well the happy hutch is 6 by 2 twice = 24 square feet plus the chicken coop = another 14 sq. feet. 38 sq feet so far. Don't know how much the extra coop upper level would be so let's just round it up to 45 sq feet. Therefore, I'd say approximately another 15 sq feet needed. I wouldn't count the ramps but if you do then around 13 sq feet. Feel free to disagree please as I'm not familiar with either hutch or coop.
Interestingly mine have way more then 60 sq feet but simply don't use it. Can't remember the last time they went outside.

We ask for 60 square feet (we use the example of a 6x2 hutch with a 6x8 run).

With what you have, I would suggest a 6x6 run, then if you treated the coop as an extra run, you have 50 square feet of run plus 6x2 of hutch all on one level. The second level of hutch is an added bonus.

Depending on how it was set up (ie if the coop and 6x4 run were opened into each other to make one space), we may accept a 6x4 run rather than 6x6.

I think for us it's about useable space over square footage. So the top level of the coop doesn't really add much in the way of exercise space, but the lower level run bit can add good exercise space if joined to another run and large hutch.

I would ask the rescue you are adopting from what they suggest, as it's not worth spending out on something if it's not what they are after.

Good luck!

Thanks guys. :thumb:
I think I would take off the nesting box bit of the chicken coop and attach it to the Happy hutch (cutting a hole in the hutch). So they would be together lengthways, and a run could be attached via runaround tunnel, since we already have a tunnel and the Happy Hutch already has a hole in the mesh where the owner had a tunnel. It's really not ideal, but the best idea I can come up with at the moment with finances so tight.

Back