• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

In or out?

What to do?

• Bring them inside for the night

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Leave them out

Votes: 12 44.4%

• Total voters

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Do I leave the bunnies out or bring them in for tonight with the storm? We are in East Midlands so don't expect it to be as bad as other areas. They are in wendy houses with attached runs but they are not bolted to the concrete and whilst the roofs are heavy they potentially could life off if it gets too bad.

In. :wave: We are in an amber alert area and even though the summerhouse is right against one of the bedroom walls and the roof is heavy it sits in grooves with only a few long supporting nails. We had to buy an indoor hutch today and they are safe in the second bedroom. It was the last thing we could afford but better than an injury or worse.

Strong winds can be very destructive and even if it doesn't hit as badly as what the met office has predicted its always better to be safe than sorry.

Hmmm - I voted leave them out but only because I don't know how stressed they'd get about being inside. I'm leaving mine in their shed but they're fairly sheltered and the shed is attached to an aviary that won't go anywhere in high winds. However, I have made a contingency plan to put them in the garage if it gets too wild. But I know they'd prefer to remain in their own environment. They're sat out in the run enjoying the wind at the moment :shock::D.

Hmmm - I voted leavethem out but only because I don't know how stressed they'd get about being inside. I'm leaving mine in their shed but they're fairly sheltered and the shed is attached to an aviary that isn't going anywhere :shock:. However, I have made a contingency plan to put themmin the garage if it gets too wild. But I know they'd prefer to remain in their own environment. They're sat out in the run enjoying the wind at the moment :shock::D.

Snowdrop will hate coming in and no doubt go on hunger strike! Strawbs won't be bothered either way.

Aarghh! I'm still undecided :( I'm right on the South coast, opposite the IOW so right in the storm path! Weather is not as bad as I thought at the moment and in this weather I would be happy leaving them out like normal but I keep checking the MET office and wind speeds are getting up to nearly 80 here between midnight and morning so I have prepared a room for them inside. But still reluctant to bring them in.. waiting as late as I can!! They've only ever been inside when they were babies and once when one of them was ill. Didn't seem t bother them that much so hoping they're ok, maybe just a bit grumpy!?

i voted leave them out as like my two my buns get stressed out when there inside and they have a house filled with straw where they can go if they get scared

I'm leaving mine out, they are sheltered and their shed and aviary is well built. I will check checking them though. They're all sat in the shed which I'm glad about.

Hmmm - I voted leave them out but only because I don't know how stressed they'd get about being inside. I'm leaving mine in their shed but they're fairly sheltered and the shed is attached to an aviary that won't go anywhere in high winds. However, I have made a contingency plan to put them in the garage if it gets too wild. But I know they'd prefer to remain in their own environment. They're sat out in the run enjoying the wind at the moment :shock::D.

im glad I'm not the only one who feels the stress of bringing them in is greater than leaving them out. We also have contingency plans incase of emergency but if we can leave them in their homes we will

Twinkle and Star will hate being indoors and I am worried about it sending them into stasis but going to bring them in last thing before bed.
Buttercup and Zebedee will probably be ok being indoors.

Although they have sheds/kennels I will worry all night and don't want to go outside in the midst of a storm to bring them in in a hurry in the middle of the night.

I voted to leave them out. I had a thread similar to this earlier in the week as I was worried about the storm and fireworks next weekend.

We were going to bring them in to the kitchen, but when I ushered them in last weekend when it was raining (they had been out on the patio)they were both really stressed, even with their stuff in with them.

Mine have a hand built hutch and run, its very heavy and sturdy. We bought an enormous tarpaulin from tool station which covers the whole lot. This is currently weighted down with paving slabs on the top, bungee cords round the sided and bricks on the ground.

I echoed everybody who said that their bunnies might prefer the comfort of their own home - rather than moving to somewhere new and hearing all the strange things but it's easy for me to say as my rabbits live in a stable.

Everybody know their own pets so therefore, they will know what is best - it doesn't alway have to be what others are doing.

im glad I'm not the only one who feels the stress of bringing them in is greater than leaving them out. We also have contingency plans incase of emergency but if we can leave them in their homes we will

I'm with you Liz.

Apart from the fact that we don't have space indoors for 60 rabbits, I don't actually think that any of them would like to be moved indoors if they don't need to be. I am not overly worried as we are pretty sheltered but have set up 6 indoor cages in the house just in case we need to move some in due to them being distressed or any of the housing getting damaged. Pet carriers are ready to go too just in case.

I'm staying up anyway so I can do what I need to if the weather becomes dangerous for any of the bunnies.

Stress for many rabbits is going to be much worse moving indoors to a small cage in an unfamiliar environment - but everybody has to make up their own minds about their particular bunnies.

Hope you all stay safe.

I echoed everybody who said that their bunnies might prefer the comfort of their own home - rather than moving to somewhere new and hearing all the strange things but it's easy for me to say as my rabbits live in a stable.

Everybody know their own pets so therefore, they will know what is best - it doesn't alway have to be what others are doing.

:thumb:

My two pairs are staying out. Given Busters nervous nature and Brownies tummy issues I feel leaving them where they are is the best thing. Belle and Bramble were a house rabbits but Bramble really does prefer outside away from the hustle and noise indoors. I've locked the cat flaps and hoping for the best. I will be staying up and have carriers ready to be on the safe side.

I'm with you Liz.

Apart from the fact that we don't have space indoors for 60 rabbits, I don't actually think that any of them would like to be moved indoors if they don't need to be. I am not overly worried as we are pretty sheltered but have set up 6 indoor cages in the house just in case we need to move some in due to them being distressed or any of the housing getting damaged. Pet carriers are ready to go too just in case.

I'm staying up anyway so I can do what I need to if the weather becomes dangerous for any of the bunnies.

Stress for many rabbits is going to be much worse moving indoors to a small cage in an unfamiliar environment - but everybody has to make up their own minds about their particular bunnies.

Hope you all stay safe.

i know moving some of ours would cause episodes of bloat and other issues. We also have a house full already so would struggle to get them all in. We too will be staying up as much as possible and have brought piles of paper and hay inside in case we need to set up temp cages/ carriers quickly.

I think most rabbits on here have good quality housing but there will be lots of poor bunnies out there in flimsy hutches whose owners have already drawn the curtains and forgotten about them :(

i know moving some of ours would cause episodes of bloat and other issues. We also have a house full already so would struggle to get them all in. We too will be staying up as much as possible and have brought piles of paper and hay inside in case we need to set up temp cages/ carriers quickly.

I think most rabbits on here have good quality housing but there will be lots of poor bunnies out there in flimsy hutches whose owners have already drawn the curtains and forgotten about them :(

And that is the sad fact...............so many people who don't care under normal circumstances let alone when there is a real risk from the elements

We left them out and they were fine. Woke up at 2am to lots of stamping from next doors rabbits (who live in a double hutch so it echoes) but not a peep from mine. Wind can't have been bad as nothing has blown over outside.

I am off work ill today so can keep an eye on them throughout the morning.

My bun's made it through in the shed. The wind hit the front of the house and came over so they were well sheltered. There's some minor damage to the guinea pigs summer hutch cover.

Only thing is they have all had a great time with the box of hay i put in and now it looks like a bomb gone off in there :lol:.

I'm glad I brought my boys in as fence panels have come down and smashed into the run and the shed. Luckily the shed seems to be fine but I'm so glad they weren't in it. They've had a sleep over with free range of our spare room which they braved up enough to explore now. If wind is going to calm down now I'll take them out again. Just going to look up the forecast.

Back