• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poops getting smaller

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Morning RU!

My bunny with glacauma and her partner have moved indoors recently due to their ill health and the awful weather! However, the bunny with glaucoma has been doing increasingly smaller and smaller poo, to the point now where I'm quite worried.

They were on hay outdoors but have a huge litter tray and a big box of hay inside, given them loo roll holders with hay stuffed in and dried leaves etc and she is munching it. I've given them fresh grass in case she was missing that, but the poos are tiny!

She has an eye ulcer at the moment and is on fucithalmic in addition to her glaucoma meds and loxicom too. Any ideas if it's an environmental issue or a health issue? She appears happy and is exploring lots and is eating.

Morning RU!

My bunny with glacauma and her partner have moved indoors recently due to their ill health and the awful weather! However, the bunny with glaucoma has been doing increasingly smaller and smaller poo, to the point now where I'm quite worried.

They were on hay outdoors but have a huge litter tray and a big box of hay inside, given them loo roll holders with hay stuffed in and dried leaves etc and she is munching it. I've given them fresh grass in case she was missing that, but the poos are tiny!

She has an eye ulcer at the moment and is on fucithalmic in addition to her glaucoma meds and loxicom too. Any ideas if it's an environmental issue or a health issue? She appears happy and is exploring lots and is eating.

Is she moulting at all if she is I would give her 10 mls of fresh pineapple juice, is she drinking ok? could she be a bit dehydrated.

I'd keep my eye on her but I think the fact her poops are tiny something's going on in her gut and she may need a vet visit.

Sending lots of Vibes for her xxxxxx

Hello Tuckerbunnies! :wave:

She has never been a big drinker, but I have seen her drink ok while in the house. I'm worried she might be in pain from her eye, which is slowing her guts down, but she is eating with an appetite still.

She has a recheck of the ulcer on Wednesday and I'm at the vets with Nibbler tomorrow as I think he has another UTI, so I might pick her up some fibreplex and see how she is on Weds.

I would pop her to the vet on Monday, if you can. Smaller poos is usually a sign that she is not getting enough fibre into her. Possibly she is in pain and so she isn't eating as much as she should. Have you changed their hay at all?

Hi Kerry :wave:

I think I would if you can pop her along to the vet's with Nibbler tomorrow and let the vet just take a look at her to be on the
safe side.

Hope she will be ok Bless her xx

As both glaucoma & eye ulcers can be painful conditions, I'd consider that as a likely cause of gut slow down, & eating less. Also take a few poops with you for the vet to see.

She's on the verge of stasis... :( she's had metaclopromide and additional pain relief but is loud teeth grinding. She is eating though surprisingly and hopping about. But this doesn't look good.

Yes we've been today. She said the eye ulcer was actually healing well but her tummy felt doughy so thought the grinding was the start of stasis (along with the smaller poo).

Just been to check on her... She is tucking into a nice big pile of green oat hay, dried plantain, dried coltsfoot and freshly cut grass from the garden. She's looking much brighter and has pooed!

Thanks for the vibes, they've worked! I hope she keeps improving.

Xx

Just been to check on her... She is tucking into a nice big pile of green oat hay, dried plantain, dried coltsfoot and freshly cut grass from the garden. She's looking much brighter and has pooed!

Thanks for the vibes, they've worked! I hope she keeps improving.

Xx

That's really good news. I find that bramble leaves are really good for a slow gut. They grow on waste ground in cities as well as the countryside.
Both Benjie (bad nerves & snuffles) & Thumper (increasing scarring of the gut) are so good at keeping their gut going with a variety of forage & tree leaves, (apple, hawthorn, bramble & blackthorn) by varying the amount they eat as required. Both managed to avoid full blown stasis themselves.
Thumper kept going with help from daily domperidone, until he was 6yrs 4 months, & his gut couldn't manage any dry food during the winter months.;)

Thank you Thumps. We have some bramble growing through our fence! I'll go get some although last time I fed them it another bun did actually stop eating?

She is good this morning anyway, not too interested in their pellets, but I'll get some more grass and weeds for her.

Just hope she keeps going.

Thank you Thumps. We have some bramble growing through our fence! I'll go get some although last time I fed them it another bun did actually stop eating?

She is good this morning anyway, not too interested in their pellets, but I'll get some more grass and weeds for her.

Just hope she keeps going.

I'm so glad she's started eating again. :D She's being very sensible steering clear of the pellets in the initial stages. I reckon she's eating enough to get the nutrition she needs, & plenty of fibre to get her gut moving again.
Fantastic news.:D

I'm incredibly surprised about another bun stopping eating. It makes me wonder whether she hurt her mouth on a thorn although wildies eat them "neat". Although most buns eat them thorns & all, mine won't. My fingers are tough enough that when dry I can dethorn the leaves when dry, by rubbing them once from tip to base. Maybe try introducing them slowly?

I recommend them because before there was any vet treatment for buns, it's what country folk used to give for GI probs. It's one of the country ways which actually works. Also I've seen wild rabbits actually climb up the briars in spring when the grass is lush for a bramble leaf. Mine get a selection & both have a specific preference depending how bad they are.
Mildest is apple, then hawthorn, then bramble & finally blackthorn, but they've all fallen apart from the brambles.
There's knack to gathering them. I use secatures, or tough scissors to cut the leaves & handle them very lightly. My main prob is getting caught in the briars occasionally.:lol:

Poos are coming through nice now! She is a lot perkier too. I just hope this continues!

Yes I'd wondered about the thorns hurting their mouth, causing the stasis, but this time it did coincide with him having an ivermectin treatment a few days previous. After his second dose, he was also very picky, but not as bad.

It's really interesting about wild buns knowing what they need and how we can do the same for our buns too. I can get some Hawthorn from my grandparents - I might pay them another visit!

Poos are coming through nice now! She is a lot perkier too. I just hope this continues!

Yes I'd wondered about the thorns hurting their mouth, causing the stasis, but this time it did coincide with him having an ivermectin treatment a few days previous. After his second dose, he was also very picky, but not as bad.

It's really interesting about wild buns knowing what they need and how we can do the same for our buns too.
I can get some Hawthorn from my grandparents - I might pay them another visit!

I can't resist posting one of my favourite videos again. I hope you enjoy it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6zRr_EpyNE

Back at the vets this morning. ... more tiny poo although she continues to eat? More metaclopromide and im to increase her metacam dose too to see if that will see her through.

Not sure what else we can try now. If its due to pain from her eye, it doesn't sit right with me to put her through the op to remove it. But then again, I don't want her on massive amounts of pain relief.

But, she is eating and exploring so today shes ok. :love:

Back