• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cultivating the Mohawk - should I worry?

icklepxy

Alpha Buck
Hugh had a bladder stone removed about 4 weeks ago. I had a look at him today to check up on his little tummy (I've left it a little over a week to check because I spent the first two weeks after he got the all clear from the vet checking him four or five times a day. Needless to say it was making me very unpopular)

What I've noticed I wish I could have gotten a picture of but my camera is dead. He essentially has a little tummy Mohawk. Around where the incision site was he has a nice tufty furry bit, but on either side he is still pretty pink and bald. Doesn't look sore, and does have some hair but just not as much as that big line down the middle!

Is this normal?! Should I be worried that he's over-grooming or does it usually take the sides of a shaved rabbit tummy to grow back longer than the centre bit?

:shock::roll::oops: I feel so stupid even asking this question.

Pooka is healing from her spay in exactly the same way. Our theory is that the fur is growing back over the wound because in the wild if they were harmed they wouldn't be shaved in the area around it, and all the energy goes into making the hurt spot look normal so that the rabbit doesn't appear weaker.

All speculation but it kind of makes sense I suppose.

Hugh had a bladder stone removed about 4 weeks ago. I had a look at him today to check up on his little tummy (I've left it a little over a week to check because I spent the first two weeks after he got the all clear from the vet checking him four or five times a day. Needless to say it was making me very unpopular)

What I've noticed I wish I could have gotten a picture of but my camera is dead. He essentially has a little tummy Mohawk. Around where the incision site was he has a nice tufty furry bit, but on either side he is still pretty pink and bald. Doesn't look sore, and does have some hair but just not as much as that big line down the middle!

Is this normal?! Should I be worried that he's over-grooming or does it usually take the sides of a shaved rabbit tummy to grow back longer than the centre bit?

:shock::roll::oops: I feel so stupid even asking this question.
I don't know if this is normal or not but Roses tummy did this after her spay and I didn't really give it much though lol

Back