• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits bum clumped with poo!

Ash7

New Kit
I need help with my lionhead who is very very fluffy and for some reason he likes to sit in his poo all the time and it sticks to his tail, backs of his legs and around his bumhole! His cage is cleaned out regularly but after a couple of days he is clumped up again! He is hard to hold and clean as alot of the time the poo needs to be cut out of his fur! All the vets do is give us drops for his digestion but its not that, that is the problem! Any help will be appreciated!

What do you feed him? It is often something in the diet that causes this, maybe too many pellets or veg. Or it could be a dental issue. Has he had his teeth checked?

Whereabouts do you live? Perhaps a fellow member of RU living nearby could pop over and help you clean your bunny's bottie.

I've been and helped a fellow member today with her four bunnies.:thumb:

He has a small portion of large pea mix rabbit museli and endless hay! His teeth were checked and are fine and been cleared of gastric infections! He is in with his sister she is fluffy but no such problem!

He has a small portion of large pea mix rabbit museli and endless hay! His teeth were checked and are fine and been cleared of gastric infections! He is in with his sister she is fluffy but no such problem!

I get the feeling that the large pea mix rabbit museli might be the culprit. Perhaps consider changing his food over to a complete pellet food and of course still loads of hay, If you do want to change over the dry food, do it slowly over the space of a 10 - 12 days. Start by mixing a little in with the museli and slowly increase the amount of pellets daily and reduce the amount of museli. Worth a try.

Of course this would include his sister in this change over.

I get the feeling that the large pea mix rabbit museli might be the culprit. Perhaps consider changing his food over to a complete pellet food and of course still loads of hay, If you do want to change over the dry food, do it slowly over the space of a 10 - 12 days. Start by mixing a little in with the museli and slowly increase the amount of pellets daily and reduce the amount of museli. Worth a try.

Of course this would include his sister in this change over.

We have given them a mixture with the pellets before and they genrally left them and ate the rest! May pay to give them just the pellets as you say! They will soon get used to it!

If they're big hay eaters, they won't need too many pellets.

Pellets are to bunnies what sweets are to children - a nice treat but shouldn't be the main diet.

:wave:

Back