• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet trip questions

Fluffs

Alpha Buck
:wave:
My bun is going to the vet on Tuesday and I've got a few questions.....

With cats, I think you're not supposed to feed them in the morning of vaccinations. Is this the same for Rabbits? (Her appointement is at 2pm)
Also, what do you put inside the carrier for them to snuggle up in?
I'm not sure how to make it less noisy for her when she's on the way there... Do you have an idea?

Thanks x

Bunnies do not have to have a period of no food beforehand, so just follow your normal routine when feeding.

Pack a little bag containing, dry food, hay, perhaps some favourite herbs and veg, if bunny has a blanket then pack that too as well as a favourite little toy.

Don't forget to mention if your bunny drinks out of a bottle and or bowl, your contact details will be required and also make sure that when your bunny returns home, they settle down well, start eating, drinking, peeing and pooing as norm and provide a heat pad, hay, blankets if any extra warmth is needed.
When placing the carrier in the car, place it sideways on so that if you have to brake suddenly your bunny will rock from side to side as opposed to facing forward which will mean your bunny will lurch forward and then back.....not comfy and could cause injury.

If your bunny lives outdoors, then don't turn the car heating on, keep it cool and of course if bunny lives indoors, pop the heater on low. I always turn any music off and just ...rabbit on to my furry family.:lol::thumb:
Best of luck.:thumb:

Last edited:
You don't starve cats before vaccinations, only before an anaesthetic.

You never starve rabbits - because of the way their digestion works they need access to food at all times.

Is your rabbit just going for vaccination?

In that case you won't need to pack a bag. ;)

I usually put a thick layer of newspaper in the carrier, and then towels, to make a sort of 'nest'. I also put a towel over the carrier. Your obviously not going to be away from home for very long, so I wouldn't worry about anything else (you could put a few greens or hay in the carrier if you want to).

I just put a towel or newspaper for any wee and top it with some hay (because rabbits need access to hay 24/7). You should never starve a rabbit or they can get poorly. And there's no need to starve them before anesthetic like other animals, as they cannot physically throw up.

Taking their rabbit friend with them to the vets helps to reduce stress. I also keep noise low.

Last edited:
Back