• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Has anybody use Flaxcore? UD Hemcore producer in administration

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
I bought a bag of it today as the sales assistant said it was made from a different part of the plant to Hemcore, which I know a lot of people use for rabbits. Then I started to doubt myself as to whether it is safe so I thought I'd ask and see if anybody uses it.:wave:

http://www.hemcore.co.uk/flaxcore.php

It seems it's a new product in the range. I'm happy with Megazorb but have to travel 10 miles to get it, this is avaiable right next to Tescos where I go far too many times in a week.

Last edited:
I tried flaxcore last year for my horse and didn't like it because its very light and fluffy and balls up like cotton wool so I imagine it would get dragged everywhere (apart from this though it was very absorbent with wetness and smells). I used Rapport (from the same company) for him for ages which was excellent but its made from oilseed rape and contains citronella so not sure that would be safe for buns :/

Would be good to know how you get on with flaxcore as a bun bedding (assuming its safe) as it would be much cheaper than the back-2-nature ours are currently on :)

I tried flaxcore last year for my horse and didn't like it because its very light and fluffy and balls up like cotton wool so I imagine it would get dragged everywhere (apart from this though it was very absorbent with wetness and smells). I used Rapport (from the same company) for him for ages which was excellent but its made from oilseed rape and contains citronella so not sure that would be safe for buns :/
Would be good to know how you get on with flaxcore as a bun bedding (assuming its safe) as it would be much cheaper than the back-2-nature ours are currently on :)

The Flaxcore also contains citronella which sadly was the bit I was unsure about. From what I can gather Hemcore ALSO contains citronella though I know a lot of people use it; I found one reference on here saying that Hemcore isn't suitable because of the citronella... I won't risk anything I'm not sure about. Thanks for the feedback. I did wonder if it would get spread about. it *might* be okay as a layer under hay (if the citronella issue is resovled)... some of my buns have hay separate some have hay in their poop trays.

I used hemcore for years i've just moved on to a product called raviera which is similar and i like it

Or else you could try Aubiose, which is very similar to Hemcore but it doesn't contain any citronella and the pieces are very slightly smaller. Out of all the hemp/flax products, Aubiose is my personal favourite. I still find Megazorb much more absorbant though.

Back