• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Why does rabbit pee smell so bad?

Bunnie

Warren Scout
I have a six month old females spayed rabbit, when she pees it smells really bad and anything she pees on goes a funny colour? A lot of chats about this across the Internet say when u get her spayed it won't smell so bad but her pee has almost smelt horrible, some chats say to get a litter tray but it only smells really bad when she is inside, she is a hutch bunny, and anyway there is no room for a litter tray she has a massive hutch but everything is awkward shapes and sizes I can barely fit her house inside let alone a litter tray, so why does it smell?

A spayed Doe's urine should not smell that bad. If it does it is indicative of a problem such as a urine infection. Have you had her checked over by a Vet ?

Have you checked that she is clean underneath and that her scent glands are not impacted ?

Have you thought about a corner litter tray rather than a full size one? They're much easier to get into right spaces.

I would take her to the vets for a check up. I would also try to do something so I could get a litter tray and litter in there, it makes a difference. I have house Rabbit and use wood pellet cat litter in the trays and the pee very rarely smells.

I use wood pellet litter for my indoor pair too and find it great for absorbing odours.I tried various litters before this and found it hard to control smells. I have a super sensitive sense of smell so it used to drive me mad. The wood pellets were a godsend :) I don't smell anything anymore.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

What about a litter tray in her run? You can get covered trays for cats so it wouldnt get wet.

the thing is there is no problem when she goes to the bathroom in her hutch it only when she plays on my bedroom floor and pees there and makes it smell really bad that its a problem

May be worth a trip to the vets then.

You can usually neutralise animal urine smells with a solution of water and vinegar.

do you provide a litter tray in your bedroom? is she an indoor or outdoor hutch bunny, as at this time of year its not good to bring them in then out into hutch, as they need to get the winter coats developed to withstand winterh

Back