• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bringing outdoor buns in temporarily (expected bad weather and bonfire night)

Den

Mama Doe
The thread about secure tarps/covers etc has led me to create my own thread rather than hijac:oops:

My 2 are outdoor buns but OH said about bringing them bonfire night and the weekend immediately before it.

His suggestion was they stay in the kitchen with their litter box, hidey house and toys etc and we would leave the radio on a talk station.

BUT I had them out on the patio last sunday as the lawn was so wet and altho they were quite happy in and out the back door, when it started to pour with rain and I "ushered" them into the kitchen to shelter, they (will in particular) seemed really stressed and I'll at ease.

Now I don't know what to do for the best. Nancy is terrible with unusual sounds and I have visions of her thumping constantly while the fireworks are going off.

I'm not too worried about the temperature difference as our kitchen has no heating in it but now with the threat of this bad storm too, I don't know what to do for best. Any advice gratefully received.

The one thing that kept my tarp down, even in the wildest of last year gales were slabs...

i put my tarp over with polythene underneath and left a wide skirt at the bottom, got a piece of wood to hold tarp against the run sides and then placed slabs on top of the tarpwhich was lying on the ground. it hasnt budged..

Rabbits don't usually get upset with fireworks, although some might. I would play it by ear, if it starts getting really bad just bring them in overnight?

This time last year I didnt have rabbits. But if, as Tonibun says, rabbits are not usually worried by fireworks then see how it goes. I have just ordered a thunder shirt for one of our dogs, who LOATHES bangs. Due tomorrow. Just heard a firework ... already :shock:

I am just keeping mine outdoors and hoping for the best.

I don't know what your set up is, but if they have a hutch/run combo, I'd shut them in the hutch for the night. I would pack it nice and tight with hay, and put a snugglesafe in if you have one.

They should be alright if they have each other to cuddle.

xx

Thank you all for the advice. Bought a huge tarp so it has some "skirt" and its held down by slabs as well as bricks and bungee cords.

I have got a snugglesafe but am saving it for when its much colder than it is now. They have loads of straw and hay and I have got them some fleecy things to lay on too now its chillier.

Just wish I could get rabbit ear plugs for the fireworks. Nancy in particular hates loud noise. There were some fireworks going off earlier this evening (why in this weather??) which didnt seem to bother them but although I could see them from the kitchen they were not that close. A lot of the houses along my bit of the road always have fireworks in their gardens and it does sound like a warzone on bonfire night.

Back