• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

looks like hes officially part of the family ^_^

well it's been almost two weeks since we found this sweet little boy in the park near our house. the dog is very proud of her baby and loves to show new guests "her bunny" as soon as they get in ^_^
IMG_20131017_210929.jpg

IMG_20131017_210819.jpg

there has been absolutely zero response to my lost bunny ads, I even put up a flier at the park where we found him and on several light poles in the surrounding neighborhood. its completely beyond me how someone could just abandon this gentle little soul but we have come to really cherish and love him and he's become part of our family and our hearts very quickly! I just love spoiling him and taking him outside to play in the grass and nap in the sunshine! ^_^ he uses his litter box 99% of the time and only once in a blue moon will poo outside of it, never pee! he loves to snuggle and get petted and if I'm not petting him enough he'll let me know by shoving his head under my hand and giving me a very stern nudge! A few questions I've thought up in the last little while....is it ok for him to poo and wee in his litter box and still eat the hay in there? or does he need a different clean hay dish? I clean his litter box every day and often throw a lot of hay out but it seems unsanitary to let it go longer because he's eating it! also he's developed two little tiny testicles over the last week. I'm assuming this means he must be a baby? at what age can I think about getting him fixed, and if he's to be an only bunny does he still need to be neutered. my vet has lots of experience anesthetizing rabbits as we spay and neuter for the local bunny rescue on a regular basis. there's always a risk with anesthesia though and I'm wondering what the benefits would be for him and if they outweigh the risks in everyone's opinion? also do bunnies need baths? when I found him his feet were stained dark orange, which have cleared tremendously in the last two weeks. and one last question, what do you recommend or provide for your rabbits to chew? he has two little carrot shaped pieces of wood that he likes to chew but I'm wondering if that is sufficient. we got them at the pet store, it was made special for a bunny so it's nice and safe :) and last one I promise....Timothy vs. alfalfa hay for a baby bun? which is best?

thank you all for your patience with us newbie bunny owners and all my silly questions! I sure appreciate you all!!! <3

Yes its ok for him to eat the hay as long as you change it and he gets fresh top ups! He needs to be neutered as it has health benefits and also makes for a happier bunny, if you can feel them then he may be ready to have him done, do you know how much he weighs? Vets here wont neuter if the bunny is under 1kg if he weighs this then I would pop him for a vet check and they will tell you if hes ready to be done and any vaccinations he needs to have.
If your bunny is a good hay eater then this is enough for chewing to keep his teeth down but bunnies like chew toys that you have, mine love cardboard boxes to play with (as long as they don't eat a lot of the cardboard) Apple tree sticks and willow sticks are good for them to chew on too if you can get hold of some that are not treated with chemicals.
Glad that you can keep him he sounds like a perfect happy bunny at your home! :D

Now there's a lucky bunny!! :love:

Bunnies like to poop and chomp hay at the same time (multitasking! :lol:)

Bunnies, like cats, spray when they're not neutered, it will also make him a little calmer. I had single male bunnies and we neutered them just so they wouldn't be slaves to their hormones.

As a rule, you shouldn't bathe him. Bunnies can't regulate their body temperatures so he would be very chilly. His feet will clean up now he's in a clean home.

I love how your dog has found a baby. SO sweet!

I just think he's incredibly, incredibly lucky to have been found by a family who wants the best for him AND knows a vet that understands his needs.

:love::love::love:

IMG_20130922_141605.jpg

This is our dog Porkchop who found the bunny. A purebred pitbull terrier. Clearly the vicious, bloodthirsty monster the press makes them out to be! ;) she wouldn't hurt a fly! And it seems to me we are the lucky ones, having found such a friendly little bunny who doesn't cause any trouble and uses his litter box....I wonder if he's just on his best behavior because he's thankful for being found and doesn't want to go back to the park! ^_~

Hooray for Porkchop!!

I always think the compassion animals can show is lovely. I have a friend whose dog rescued an injured cat which is now "his cat" in the same way you describe.

Lovely family! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:
Aww what a lovely story. I think someone on here had a guinea pig or bun escape from its run or hutch and the family dog helped to find it :love:

Aww what a heart warming story. I think this bunny was meant to find you guys :)

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

I agree with the responses the others have given you to your questions.

Bunny is beautiful and clearly one of the family now! So glad you found him, you are a star taking him in and keeping him :)

Aww what a lovely story. I think someone on here had a guinea pig or bun escape from its run or hutch and the family dog helped to find it :love:

It was sally1974's Derek who found one of her guinea pigs who was in a hole. :love:

IMG_20130922_141605.jpg

This is our dog Porkchop who found the bunny. A purebred pitbull terrier. Clearly the vicious, bloodthirsty monster the press makes them out to be! ;) she wouldn't hurt a fly! And it seems to me we are the lucky ones, having found such a friendly little bunny who doesn't cause any trouble and uses his litter box....I wonder if he's just on his best behavior because he's thankful for being found and doesn't want to go back to the park! ^_~

Porkchop looks VERY VICIOUS! ;) She's so cute! You've got an ace little furry family! :love:

Most bunnies are very particular with their litter habits, like cats. They're just awesome creatures all round!

:love::love:

What a happy ending, yes it was my dog Derek who found my little guinea pig who escaped. So pleased you are keeping the bunny :love:

Yes - have to agree that Porkchop is so 'scary' looking - :lol::love:

I think it is so lovely the bunster has found such a lovely home. And I love the story about how Porkchop found her...just goes to show doesn't it?

I used to have a German Shepherd (another 'vicious' breed :roll:) Tania - and a hamster called Splog. Splog used to free-range in my room at nigh time and then when it was time to go to bed - I would tell Tania 'find Splog, where's Splog' and Tania would sniff out Splog and then whine to tell me she had found him:love: Both are at the bridge now - and I will bet anything Tania is having a lovely time with him:thumb:

IMG_20130922_141605.jpg

:love: :love:

I adore pitbulls! I so wish they were legal to keep here. :cry: Well done Porkchop!! You have saved this bunny's life. :love:

Have you thought of a name for your bun yet? :)

Aww lovely to see your rabbit again. Glad he is yours too. You sound like a very caring person for him to live with. I love how Porkchop thinks the rabbit is 'his'.

Timothy hay is best. (Alfalfa is rich in something that they dont need loads of unless they are underweight but cant remember what it is) :oops:

He may well become sexually frustrated and less fussy with his litter box habits once he reaches maturity and isnt castrated.

He is just GORGEOUS :love:

Alfalfa is high in protein and calcium which is fine while they're growing and in small amounts but timothy and meadow hay is best. You can also feed dried grass, oat hay and all the others. :D

Also a warning for you, you say he's a single rabbit, but rabbits are addictive, I bet he won't be single for long. ;)

I think I'm a little bit in love with Porkchop. :oops:

Look at that lovely face and those big eyes! :love::love:

Aww what a happy feel good thread :) Glad the little bunny has a happy ending with you, he's gorgeous, as it Porkchop :love::love::love:

Oh you bunny (and dog!) are both gorgeous. Do you think he was abandoned then? that is so sad - he is lucky that he survived :( Well done for all the care you are giving him :)

You might find as he gets a little older the litter training gets less good as the hormones kick in, which is why males are usually neutered even when single.

You can fix a hay rack above the tray for hay if that works better, they like to munch and poop so you might find a separate tray wouldn't work.

Back