• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Freddie and Rosie cutaneous (nodular) myxomatosis! Vibes and well wishes needed....

Steph_fuzzy239

Warren Scout
Hi everyone as some of you may know my rabbits have cutaneous myxi which could have been full severe myxi if they hadn't been vaccinated but because they have it's come out in a different form. It's only been a couple of days since I found out but it's starting to get me down already :( I just hate knowing they are unwell and even though I know all their meds and cream will help them, they seem to dread me coming and run away from me now, it's heart breaking. :cry: To make matters worse the full extent of Freddie's is really starting to show now. He's getting 1 on his nose like Rosie, has 2 burried in his whiskers, 1 on the side of his face and 2 small ones right on his lip- thats 6!! Rosie seems to have just the one for now and the scab looks like its close to dropping off in the next few days..... Touch wood. I do all that I can for them and life throws this back at me, it's just unfair. Sorry if I sound all miserable, I just want to cry and I know that you guys are the only ones that will understand how I feel. I just hope they get better soon. Xxx

Hi. :wave:

Don't despair. I know that it's really **** when our buns are poorly, especially when it's something as horrible as myxi. Your buns have a good chance of coming through this with the right treatment and care, which you are obviously giving them.
Did you complain at the vets you took them to the first time?

Your buns will most likely view you as the "bad guy" whilst this is happening. Don't worry, they will get over it eventually. Xena (my doe) is especially bad for this whenever she gets meds, and it is heartbreaking, especially when it takes months to build up trust between you and your rabbits. Why don't you try offering some treats after you medicate them? Also, I found just sitting in the room and hand feeding hay to Xena after she had had medication was a good way to get her to trust me again. She would still run away when I walked in the room, but would come out as soon as I sat down.

Sending loads of vibes for Freddie and Rosie. xx

They will forgive you. Three of my bunnies were very poorly a couple of years ago and needed lots of medication. I felt like they hated me, Nutmeg would grunt and stamp as soon as she saw me coming, the other two would just run off and hide. Once they were better the trust came back (treats helped!).

Your bunnies are very lucky to have such a caring and dedicated owner. It's hard nursing bunnies through illness, myxi is a nasty disease and it is bound to get you down, but try and keep your chin up....you are doing a brilliant job. :thumb: Sending a big hug. xx

Hey, I just wanted to show you this teeny video clip - you remember the other day I showed you how Java looked when he was at his worst with the nodular myxi? This one's from a few weeks ago, excuse the terrible video quality (and the big feet in the background!), but you can see that 1) Java is lovely and healthy and just as vibrant as a bunny should be, and 2) he is an absolute snuggle FIEND, despite three months of antibiotics and vet trips when he was sick. He will sit like that for HOURS having every inch of his tiny Nethie head rubbed - I'm fairly confident that your buns will forgive you too!
He's also really easy to pick up because he got so used to it when he was sick that he just trusts that nothing bad is going to happen now, which makes having to put him in the carrier etc much easier.

Anyway, hope it helps you to see the light at the end of the tunnel :)

http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/leldridge1/media/DSCI0028_zpsd791d3b1.mp4.html

Sending vibes for them both.

Pooka had nodular myxi, caught a few days after vaccination (we've guessed) we were in an outbreak area and despite keeping doors and windows shut once finding out it still happened. She was entirely herself the whole way through, just herself with a few scabs. It's really horrible to think they have something which kills so many every year, but Pooka's behaviour showed me that she can't have been too ill. I watched her like a hawk, to the point where I carried her to our new house whilst waiting for a delivery there before we had moved, and she got the run of the place, binkying and flopping everywhere. She did get sick of me with all the medication, but once you stop giving it they realise and you get the trust back. Use treats after medicine for now, and once you're done you can start giving them treats when you see them. Just remember if they're well enough to run and hide from meds they're not that sick :)

A BIG thank you and photos!

Hi everyone thank you so much for all the kind words and support. i'm feeling better and a lot more positive now. its strange coz I know they are poorly but its like nothing has changed in one sense as they still seem so happy in themselves and they still love and want their food and greens (just hate me coming to see them now!!) I think i'm more worried and feeling sorry for them and myself then they are :lol: but as you guys say i'm sure once they are better I can build up the trust again and they have been getting lots of treats. they are going to be my little chunky puddings by the end of it all. I just hope they can tell its coz I want them to be ok! :) have a slight update.... Rosie's scab on her nose has fallen off!! yay! so I've put some pics on and some of Freddie's face too. I thought you could be nosey and also it might help people in the future to recognise the symptoms. Thanks once again! xxx

Rosie before on Sunday ....
6c46f7ff-beaf-4f12-8005-cc5705dcc7a6_zps5326cae9.jpg

Today.... (pic quality bad sorry)
571f2250-6622-46e5-badb-635089bee521_zpsa1adcda9.jpg

Freddie's face :( you can see his nose starting to turn black now and these are the 2 lumps on his face....(btw its looks wet coz I've put cream on - its not gunky!)
DSCF5022_zps1dabc003.jpg

and this is the lump near his mouth....
DSCF5023_zpsafec05b1.jpg

and his tummy.... just coz its cute :love: bless his grumpy face, "I hate my meds mummy!!" :roll:
DSCF5024_zps1665955a.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, I just wanted to show you this teeny video clip - you remember the other day I showed you how Java looked when he was at his worst with the nodular myxi? This one's from a few weeks ago, excuse the terrible video quality (and the big feet in the background!), but you can see that 1) Java is lovely and healthy and just as vibrant as a bunny should be, and 2) he is an absolute snuggle FIEND, despite three months of antibiotics and vet trips when he was sick. He will sit like that for HOURS having every inch of his tiny Nethie head rubbed - I'm fairly confident that your buns will forgive you too!
He's also really easy to pick up because he got so used to it when he was sick that he just trusts that nothing bad is going to happen now, which makes having to put him in the carrier etc much easier.

Anyway, hope it helps you to see the light at the end of the tunnel :)

http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/leldridge1/media/DSCI0028_zpsd791d3b1.mp4.html

btw i'm sorry I called spice 'fiver' on photobucket. I get them confused! fiver is vegan_bunny's rabbit :oops: i'm so silly, it's all these cute harlequins! thank you for the vid link though! java is such a cutie :) xx

What beautiful bunnies you have. :love: I do so hope they get better quickly. Lots of thoughts and vibes.

btw i'm sorry I called spice 'fiver' on photobucket. I get them confused! fiver is vegan_bunny's rabbit :oops: i'm so silly, it's all these cute harlequins! thank you for the vid link though! java is such a cutie :) xx

Haha, it's ok: I won't tell her ;) Someone else has a bun that looks almost exactly the same as Spice on here, right down to markings...
Java is indeed adorable, and he very much knows it, cheeky creature :)

Rosie's nose is looking much better, and hopefully Freddie won't be too far behind her :) x

Haha, it's ok: I won't tell her ;) Someone else has a bun that looks almost exactly the same as Spice on here, right down to markings...
Java is indeed adorable, and he very much knows it, cheeky creature :)

Rosie's nose is looking much better, and hopefully Freddie won't be too far behind her :) x

Thank you I don't want her to be cross :lol: I love all these bunny twins hehe.

Yes thank you I agree and keeping my fingers crossed :thumb:

They are so cute!! :love: They are looking good, tbh. :) I do hope they only have it very mildly and this is as bad as it gets.

Harly buns are the best!! There are a few hat look similar and one that looks soo like Fiver it's scary! Even down to the white nose! :shock: I can not remember who it is, maybe it is Spice?

Back