• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

House Rabbit Cateracts

maxi

Young Bun
:wave:
Hi, I've wrote about my House rabbit Harry and his bad eyes before. He may have Cataracts and he has started to run into pieces of furniture. He has been to the Vets and has been prescribed Panacur. I have noticed a treatment on e-bay item number 321229363269 that advertises that it can treat his problem. Has anybody used this product? will it help him? or are the sellers just trying to get £59.99 off me

It sounds like a bit of a con to me - but wait for other members to comment before saying no for definate - seems to me like there is not much in it, a couple of lubricants, alcohol, a few vitamins and some antioxidants (oh and two preservatives) nothing actually medicinal :? I wouldn't spend that much on it anyway

I would not use anything in my Rabbit's eyes without first discussing it with my Vet. So I certainly would not buy the drops til you have done that.

:wave:Thanks for getting back I am taking Harry to the vets when the month is up, so she can have a look in his eyes x

I can't imagine for one minute that they would work...if it was that easy we wouldn't need to put people under the knife to have cloudy cataracts removed and physically replaced! I would be amazed if anything dropped onto the eye was able to actually penetrate through the different parts of the eye and get anywhere near the lens too. The actual customer feedback rating is based on people saying that the product turned up, not that it worked. I definitely wouldn't use it without discussing with my vet...and at that price I'd want my vet to be convinced that there was any value in those ingredients too.

Yeah, I wouldnt give anything to rabbits unless you're 100% sure it's safe.

I could be wrong but I think vets prescribe antibiotic eye drops for cataracts in case it's caused by a bacterial infection?

Back