• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To Schez From Schez

Schez

Mama Doe
This is your conscience speaking... :shock:

Repeat after me...

No more looking on RIN or Preloved...

You are at bunny max... You are at bunny max... You are at bunny max...

:lol:

;)

Try this self questioning :

Will taking on another Rabbit detract on the standard of care my current Rabbits have ? Will it mean less space for them ? Less treats for them ? Less time I can spend with them ? .................

Will another Rabbit and all the costs involved, especially Vet care, mean I am taking a financial risk ? ....................

What if new Rabbit does not bond with any Rabbit(s) I already have. Will that mean I need to take on yet another Rabbit as a companion to the first one ? What if attempts at bonding a new Rabbit with my current Rabbits causes original bonds to break down meaning I am left with three or more single Rabbits ?................

Over recent weeks I have become very aware of the fact that in the past I took on far too many Rabbits. It is all too easy to get swept along with the tide and it can get out of hand.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jane, that's a really sensible post and should be made a Sticky IMO!!

Yes very sensible words Jane. I had to talk myself out of rescuing 2 outside rabbits recently, as DH is about to be jobless and we would have needed better accommodation for them.

Oh dear. I know EXACTLY what you mean about Preloved, etc.

Rabbits in need on here is heart rending.

Lets just reread Janes post one more time. - A sticky is a good idea!

I totally understand how hard it can be to say 'no'. But I can now see all too clearly how important it is to have an upper limit and to stick to it. Hence I try to keep away from RIN, Preloved etc.

There is something of an addictive aspect to obtaining a new Pet and on here of course we all join in the excitement when an RUer posts about having done so. But as I have said, there has to be a limit. That limit may be 2 for some, 20 for others. As long as the person never lessens the standard of care given to the pets they already have, that it wont be 'squeezing one more in' and that the financial implications are definitely manageable, even if the newbie developed serious and/or chronic health problems, then fine take on another Pet. But I try to hold off the active encouragement to do so to enable the person to take a step back from the situation and really think it through.

JacksJane you are very very wise indeed. Yes, I do think that individuals and rescues alike need to know where to draw the line and know when they have taken on their limit of animals. I know someone who has many horses that she keeps "rescueing" from sales, when in reality she is unable to fulfill all their needs. I also think your post should be made a sticky.

I was desperate to "rescue" a gumtree rabbit recently, I even PMd one of the free ads team about it but as my bun is currently unneutered and we have had big horse-related vet bills recently I know that i could not do it and do the rabbit justice. I still am worrying about the rabbit though :(
But you have to use your head and be sensible. My vet told me this morning he had a client whose total rabbit vet bill for one rabbit over the had come to £5000 over the last 5 years!!! It was an unlucky rabbit, but even so - imagine if you had several with that kind of luck!

On Doughnut in a year I've spent over £2,000, she's been unlucky. I can't afford another one just in case she is unwell again or that one is ill.

That's why I want to help my animal rescue as they are always buying land for more space and the animals are well looked after, so even though I can't personally take on more I feel I am doing something to help animals.

Like everyone says sadly we can't save them all.

Just wanted to say...

:oops: I hope I didn't give the wrong idea with my post... :oops:

My post was a reaction to something I had seen and the frustration that I can't do any more for bunnies needing homes, so instead of posting my sadness and frustration - I tried to make it light hearted. I didn't want to give the impression that I'm going to take any more bunnies in. :shock:

I really am at a happy bunny maximum. :D I know I can't help any more rabbits in giving them a home :( but I will focus on what I can do: I will carry on donating to animal charities and continue helping where I can on the fundraising sections. :thumb:

Janes words are very, very wise - and very helpful to those considering another fury friend. :thumb:

I hope I didn't offend. :wave:

Thank you... :wave: I know I'm bunny crazy... :shock: but I really don't want to give the wrong impression... :lol:;)

I really don't think you did!:lol:

Neither do I !! My post was more a general comment about how sometimes people can get themselves into a tricky situation despite them having the very best of intentions. It was more for those reading this thread rather than you specifically :D

Back