• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free range guilt trip

Karen's

Mama Doe
I've just recently plucked up the courage to let my buns free range in the garden... After being a bunny mum for nearly 3 years! The little monkeys were easy to herd back into their hutch the first couple of times but now they've got wise to it... And boy do they give me the runaround when it's time to go back 'home'.
Ooh but the way they sit at the wire in the hutch and look longingly out is breaking my heart... They just sit there and occasionally paw the wire... I feel so mean. Guilt trip or what!
P.S. They do have 24/7 access to a 4.5m x 1.5m run so they are not exactly stuck for space.
Bunnies eh?!:?

I've found that the best time to let them out is when they are hungry! It is then easier to tempt them back into their run with food.

Me too. Mine get fed twice a day. Morning and bedtime. They get an hour out in the morning and I feed them when they go in. In the evening, when I'm ready to put them to bed, I give them veg and some more pellets. Both times they come running :lol:

Mine used to realise it was time to go in when they heard the shake of the treat box...;)

I've just recently plucked up the courage to let my buns free range in the garden... After being a bunny mum for nearly 3 years! The little monkeys were easy to herd back into their hutch the first couple of times but now they've got wise to it... And boy do they give me the runaround when it's time to go back 'home'.
Ooh but the way they sit at the wire in the hutch and look longingly out is breaking my heart... They just sit there and occasionally paw the wire... I feel so mean. Guilt trip or what!
P.S. They do have 24/7 access to a 4.5m x 1.5m run so they are not exactly stuck for space.
Bunnies eh?!:?

Mine have always free ranged.It does get easier mine usually free range before
breakfast and tea and also before bedtime.
They are now very good at going back in.
They understand me clapping behind them and return to base.
Good Luck it is worth the perserverance.

Back