• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

UD added another pic!Sunshine Daydream (our Hare) came to see why I was in bed . . .

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Feeling ill - but this cheered me up!

IMG_0639.jpg

sorry its a tad dark - couldnt use flash on her

you can see what a different shape she is to a rabbit - quite heavy bodied but long thin legs long ears and narrow face - she has a mark on her nose which is where a hen pecked her

here is an extra

ff9fc66f-ae8f-43a0-a5ca-f124ea3d11cc.jpg

Last edited:
Oh she's beautiful!!! :) do hares need a lot more space than rabbits?

technically they need literally miles and miles (or at least acres)

but sunshine was hand reared here from one day old and does not want to leave - she gets upset when we take her outside.

we will be gently trying to encourage her out again spring.

she free ranges in the whole house apart from bathroom and kitchen and we are trying to find a way to let her in the kitchen as well at nights - her most lively time.

she likes to run fast round and round especially up and down the stairs - its quite noisy here at night!!

That wee visit must have made you feel a bit better :)

She is truly stunning. Very regal looking.

technically they need literally miles and miles (or at least acres)

but sunshine was hand reared here from one day old and does not want to leave - she gets upset when we take her outside.

we will be gently trying to encourage her out again spring.

she free ranges in the whole house apart from bathroom and kitchen and we are trying to find a way to let her in the kitchen as well at nights - her most lively time.

she likes to run fast round and round especially up and down the stairs - its quite noisy here at night!!

Yeah, I didn't think a run/aviary/shed of any size would probably be big enough!! And I guess if she is genuinely choosing to stay that's because she is happy :)

She is stunning. Absolutely gorgeous :love:
You are doing a great job looking after her. She looks very happy and at home.

It almost looks like she is trying to find out why you are in bed.

Thanks for sharing this lovely picture with us :D

Yeah, I didn't think a run/aviary/shed of any size would probably be big enough!! And I guess if she is genuinely choosing to stay that's because she is happy :)

all through the summer and autumn (till the last few days) our back door (which is 'stable door style) has had the upper part of the door wide open. She pays it no attention at all - doesnt even sniff at the fresh air or look up at the tress beyond - preferring to lounge on the sofa in the room next to it (door between both opeN). She could very very easily jumpt that lower door if she wanted.

We dont leave the door fully open because of the rabbits - and also because if she was startled she might just run out by mistake and then get freaked and not find her way back even if she wanted to. Hares are very different to rabbits in the way they react to things and she does not carefully explore or plan routes like a bun does - she will just madly dash from one place to another and will easily get lost.
When we first left the downstairs doors open for her when she was about 2 months old she dashed in, got lost, and had to be rescued from behind a chest of drawers a few hours later and shown the way back up!!

She is stunning. Absolutely gorgeous :love:
You are doing a great job looking after her. She looks very happy and at home.

It almost looks like she is trying to find out why you are in bed.

Thanks for sharing this lovely picture with us :D

I think she was confused as there isnt usually anyone in the bedroom during the day! She has her food bowl in here so nipped in to check it out and found me in here!

at night she often stays up on the bed for quite a while in between mad racing round the house sessions.

all through the summer and autumn (till the last few days) our back door (which is 'stable door style) has had the upper part of the door wide open. She pays it no attention at all - doesnt even sniff at the fresh air or look up at the tress beyond - preferring to lounge on the sofa in the room next to it (door between both opeN). She could very very easily jumpt that lower door if she wanted.

We dont leave the door fully open because of the rabbits - and also because if she was startled she might just run out by mistake and then get freaked and not find her way back even if she wanted to. Hares are very different to rabbits in the way they react to things and she does not carefully explore or plan routes like a bun does - she will just madly dash from one place to another and will easily get lost.
When we first left the downstairs doors open for her when she was about 2 months old she dashed in, got lost, and had to be rescued from behind a chest of drawers a few hours later and shown the way back up!!

Oh bless her :)

She's huuuge now! :love: :love: :love: She is so gorgeous. I must say, it must be pretty hectic having a hare running about the place. :shock: :lol:

She's huuuge now! :love: :love: :love: She is so gorgeous. I must say, it must be pretty hectic having a hare running about the place. :shock: :lol:

being nocturnal does make it a bit of an issue - we have to have all the doors to the rooms open at night so she can dash round with as much space as possible (no bedroom privacy in this house!).

On the other hand we cant have any windows open in case she has one of her insane dashes (see other post) and exits via a 2nd floor window - which is a shame as I love fresh air and windows open at night! Though we did have a mesh over one in summer so we could open it

and she is incredibly loud going up and down the stairs - and she likes to leap onto my partner when he is asleep to remind him her food bowl needs refilling in the night - or to tell him if one of the rabbits has sneaked up into the bedroom.

if he doesnt wake up she 'drums' on him.

then there is the way she likes to play with some things by picking them up and loudly dropping them . . . repeatedly . . .

but we do love her . . .

being nocturnal does make it a bit of an issue - we have to have all the doors to the rooms open at night so she can dash round with as much space as possible (no bedroom privacy in this house!).

On the other hand we cant have any windows open in case she has one of her insane dashes (see other post) and exits via a 2nd floor window - which is a shame as I love fresh air and windows open at night! Though we did have a mesh over one in summer so we could open it

and she is incredibly loud going up and down the stairs - and she likes to leap onto my partner when he is asleep to remind him her food bowl needs refilling in the night - or to tell him if one of the rabbits has sneaked up into the bedroom.

if he doesnt wake up she 'drums' on him.

then there is the way she likes to play with some things by picking them up and loudly dropping them . . . repeatedly . . .

but we do love her . . .

:love: :love: Tbh, she sounds like my rabbits. :lol: They live in my bedroom and jump on my face/dig my duvet and sniff my eyes to wake me up to be fed. They also have the bad habit of throwing very loud things on the laminate flooring. :evil: :lol:

Is she quite sociable? How is she with the rabbits? Do you have to keep them strictly away from each other?

I would so worry about her "freaking out" and hurting herself. Wild rabbits are one thing, but hares are a whole different kettle of fish. :lol:

:love: :love: Tbh, she sounds like my rabbits. :lol: They live in my bedroom and jump on my face/dig my duvet and sniff my eyes to wake me up to be fed. They also have the bad habit of throwing very loud things on the laminate flooring. :evil: :lol:

Is she quite sociable? How is she with the rabbits? Do you have to keep them strictly away from each other?

I would so worry about her "freaking out" and hurting herself. Wild rabbits are one thing, but hares are a whole different kettle of fish. :lol:

Generally speaking there is no problem with her and the rabbits - she really only sees one of them and he is fine. I expect she can see/smell the others in the room she is not allowed in - as it a has a babygate - but she is not interested in them. Parsley Piert annoys her by coming and eating her food - but they dont fight . we thought they might become friends but sadly they havnt. They largely ignore each other.

Hares are generally much more stressy in the wild (and the house) than rabbits so she does have a'flight' instinct thats very strong. We have to warn people not to make sudden movements!

Generally speaking there is no problem with her and the rabbits - she really only sees one of them and he is fine. I expect she can see/smell the others in the room she is not allowed in - as it a has a babygate - but she is not interested in them. Parsley Piert annoys her by coming and eating her food - but they dont fight . we thought they might become friends but sadly they havnt. They largely ignore each other.

Hares are generally much more stressy in the wild (and the house) than rabbits so she does have a'flight' instinct thats very strong. We have to warn people not to make sudden movements!

I can imagine. :shock:

I guess she wouldn't mind being on her own. In the wild they tend to keep away from rabbits and just ignore them. They are also pretty solitary animals. Tbh, it sounds like she has a pretty good deal with you in your house. :love: She certainly sounds very happy.

Do hares binky like rabbits? I have seen them "dancing" before in fields and they are so elegant. They were jumping so high over one another and then dashing round and round a pylon, weaving in and out of other hares. It was absolutely fascinating watching them, especially because there was a MASSIVE thunderstorm going on at the same time. It was magical. :love:

Back