• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do bunnies cope when their lifelong companion dies?

Afternoon everybody,

I have 2 rabbits (both males), Stomper a dutch dwarf and Big Bunny a French lop, they came to me some 3 years ago now and from what I understand from the previous owner they were 5 years old then, so I'm assuming they don't have long left. These 2 rabbits never leave each other side and are forever together. I'm wondering when one of them dies, how does the rabbit that's left cope, how will it feel, will there be behaviour changes, will the one left grieve, do I go out and get another companion. As I say just interested in some expert knowledge of how it will be when the inevitable happens and what if anything I need to do.

Thank you very much Stephen x

Hi Stephen, welcome to the forum :wave:. In my experience, it very much depends on the remaining bunny. I used to have Flora and Parsnip - a brother and sister pair who had never been parted and had a tremendously close bond. When Parsnip died aged 9, Flora coped quite well. It was clear she was a little quiet and obviously missing him but she never went off her food or anything like that. I tried bringing her indoors to have us as company but she didn't like it so after 3 weeks, I found her a new companion.

I think you can't really make any decisions until the situation arises as every bunny will be different.

Back