• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Belgian hare breeders? owners? -

Mollyrose

Warren Scout
Hello!:wave:
do you own or breed belgian hares?

I am an owner of 3 Belgian Hares and have owned pet Belgians for over 6 years.
I am studying animal nursing at college and as a part of my course work I have chosen to look at the back length in Belgian hares and the problems it causes (i.e. slipped disks) and the difference in back length in Belgians outside of the UK, (US, Norway, Belgium)
I will also be looking at other factors that may effect the back strength, such as hutch size; enough space to exercise & strengthen muscles from a young age. Feed brands + supplements.
I plan to ask as many UK, US, Norwegian, and Belgian breeders as I can, to try to start to understand the reasons behind these problems.

if you own, any pure bred belgian hares please help me to collect the information i need :D
if you would rather keep your information private please feel free to copy, paste and complete the questionaire and email me mg.rose@hotmail.co.uk:thumb:

Please complete
1.Breeders details
(a)your name:
(b)your stud/breeding name:
(c)number of years owning belgian hares:

2.Dimenstions of hutch (depending on life stage, Does with youngsters, Bucks, Youngsters, etc.)
(a)Length of hutch:
(b)Height of hutch:
(c)Depth of hutch:
(d)Flooring/Substrate:

3.Feeding
(a)Food brand:
(b)Ammount fed/what guidelines you follow(eg. 100g per kg):
(c)Any supplements + extras:

4.How often they are allowed to exercise outside of their hutches, & the space that they are allowed to exercise in:

5.The purpose of your hares - Showing, breeding, pet, other -(please specify):

6.if they are vaccinated or not :

7.please specify if you are a breeder and or owner of belgian hares:

8.any cases of back problems in any of your hares over the years PLEASE SPECIFY COLOUR AND GENDER :D :

thank you so much!

I don't personally own any, but there is an excellent breeder of belgian hares called "the circus stud" based in bath I think. She may be able to help you. :wave:

yeah shes brilliant! have already breifly spoken to her about it, but it would be brilliant if she could fill this in too, ill facebook her later! xx

Back