• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does anyone have a spare metacam syringe?

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
We get our metacam posted and this time it only included the big syringe which it to hard to measure Alice's small doses.
I've asked a few vets if I could buy a small one but they have been no help.
Anyone else find it soooooo annoying they are a different size to other syringes :evil:
So, just wondering if anyone had a spare small syringe that I could have? I'm more than willing to pay.

I've only got a big one too, but in the past in your situation I've used a normal 1ml syringe and held it tight to the end of the spout thing. It sometimes dribbles a little but generally works well. Next time you could ask if they'd give you loxicom instead - it's a different brand of the same drug with a bottle you can use normal syringes with :)

we get one of those small brown bottles given with metacam and just use a normal 1ml or 2ml syringe with it :wave:

You know you can pop the spout out of the metacam bottle don't you? Just prize the spouty thing off and then you can stick a normal 1ml syringe into the bottle.

I used to drop some into a wee bowl, then sook up with a normal 1ml syinge......2 drops is about 0.1ml so you get it right without much waste

Pharmacies tend to stock syringes. You could call and ask if they have any that small? They're usually very cheap. Or look on amazon?

Pharmacies tend to stock syringes. You could call and ask if they have any that small? They're usually very cheap. Or look on amazon?

The problem is that metacam syringes are an odd size and are the only ones that fit the nozzle on the bottle. They also have graduations in body weight rather than ml. Using anything else tends to get messy and you waste quite a bit if you need tiny doses.

I also tend to request a different brand just to avoid the problem, although I like the tip for 1ml syringes in the big metacam one.

Is it worth contacting the manufacturer? Point out that people are requesting other brands because of the syringe problem and they might be able to send you some.

The problem is that metacam syringes are an odd size and are the only ones that fit the nozzle on the bottle. They also have graduations in body weight rather than ml. Using anything else tends to get messy and you waste quite a bit if you need tiny doses.

I also tend to request a different brand just to avoid the problem, although I like the tip for 1ml syringes in the big metacam one.

Is it worth contacting the manufacturer? Point out that people are requesting other brands because of the syringe problem and they might be able to send you some.
I just take the nozzle lid off of the metacam bottle :) then you can use anything and it pops back on quite easily afterward.

Personally I would not dip a syringe into the bottle due to the contamination potential. I empty a few drops onto a teaspoon and draw it up from that using a 1ml syringe.

How much would 4kg be on a normal syringe or would it depend on the syringe?
I'd be scared I was giving her to much or to little!

I was cleaning out the animal room yesterday and I actually found a couple, so if you still want one I'll post it over if you pm your address :)

Back