• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rosie Belly Pressing - zantac question

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
At about 10pm this evening rosie has been belly pressing and vibrating and not eatting and is obviously in discomfort. She ate her veg about 6.30 and was running around the house full of badness so this has just come on suddenly. She is lifting her tail to poo several times but nothing is coming out. She just keeps lying with her legs out the back and shifting about. We gave her some metacolp and 3kg weight of metacam. Firstly is this enough metacam for her ? She is a small bunny. I have read lots of people here get given zantac for their buns. My vet has never given this and I was wondering should zantac always be given with metacolp if bun has gut slow down ? And why r both prescribed? If she is no better in morning I will be at vets for 9am. Should I ask vet for zantac and if so how much is the dose usually prescribed? She has had episodes like this in the past, but not too often so I am still really worried for my girl. She is 6 years old in December.

At about 10pm this evening rosie has been belly pressing and vibrating and not eatting and is obviously in discomfort. She ate her veg about 6.30 and was running around the house full of badness so this has just come on suddenly. She is lifting her tail to poo several times but nothing is coming out. She just keeps lying with her legs out the back and shifting about. We gave her some metacolp and 3kg weight of metacam. Firstly is this enough metacam for her ? She is a small bunny. I have read lots of people here get given zantac for their buns. My vet has never given this and I was wondering should zantac always be given with metacolp if bun has gut slow down ? And why r both prescribed? If she is no better in morning I will be at vets for 9am. Should I ask vet for zantac and if so how much is the dose usually prescribed? She has had episodes like this in the past, but not too often so I am still really worried for my girl. She is 6 years old in December.

Before giving her any meds, she really does need to be seen by a vet, to rule out other problems. It sounds like she is either constipated, or having trouble weeing, and she may need abx or have something underlying going on. She really needs to be examined by a vet so please give your emergency vets a ring.

After constant checking on her she is ok now eatting and running about again. I will keep checking her through the night and if she relapses I wont hesitate to take her to the emergency vet. I only would give meds once and if no change in a few hours I would go to the vet .

How is she this morning?

I've had two of my buns do this within days of each other, both of them suddenly perked up and started eating again, and have been perfectly ok since. I have no idea why this happened, I wonder if it's something to do with the weather? :?

She is fine this morning, as my buns live in my kichen and sleep beside the radiator which they love; I put the heating on for her last night to ensure she kept warm so hope that helped her too. She was running around the garden with my other two buns this morning before I called them in to go to work. I have seen this type of thing in my buns before where it only lasts a few hours and then goes so its really weird. Please please dont think I medicate willy nilly as I wouldn't risk her health honesty I wouldn't. Its just I think I can tell when its one of these weird episodes and the meds usually help but I would only give once just to see. I never hesitate to take my buns to the vet but I totally understand where u r coming from as if there was a blockage then it could be dangerous. But its just for future reference that I was asking about the zantac and when it would be appropriate for a vet to prescribe it and if he doesn't when should it be asked for. Thanks for asking after Rosie this morning, its much appreciated.

She is fine this morning, as my buns live in my kichen and sleep beside the radiator which they love; I put the heating on for her last night to ensure she kept warm so hope that helped her too. She was running around the garden with my other two buns this morning before I called them in to go to work. I have seen this type of thing in my buns before where it only lasts a few hours and then goes so its really weird. Please please dont think I medicate willy nilly as I wouldn't risk her health honesty I wouldn't. Its just I think I can tell when its one of these weird episodes and the meds usually help but I would only give once just to see. I never hesitate to take my buns to the vet but I totally understand where u r coming from as if there was a blockage then it could be dangerous. But its just for future reference that I was asking about the zantac and when it would be appropriate for a vet to prescribe it and if he doesn't when should it be asked for. Thanks for asking after Rosie this morning, its much appreciated.

I am so glad that she is back to normal. :D

I always say to take a bun to the vet first, because I know of a lot of people who think it's ok to just leave their rabbit until morning when they are obviously very poorly because they don't want to pay for the emergency vet. Then wonder why their bun never recovers. :cry:
Sorry if I sounded harsh. I didn't mean to, I just wanted to make sure that you KNEW how serious it is when a bun goes into stasis/stops eating. I am glad that you know your buns so well. I can usually tell when they are just "gassy" and will recover without a vet or if it's something more serious.

I generally give mine about 2 hours to start eating if they have stopped, then take them to the vet. Tbh, I don't give mine zantac, and I have NO idea about the dosages of that. I would ring the vet and explain what happened and ask for a suggested dose in the event that it happens again. :thumb: As for metacam, I usually give mine 4kg worth; I get loxicom (it's the same as metacam but a different brand) and the syringe is in kgs rather than mls, annoyingly. It's about the same as 0.4mls (I think it's a little less). This is a pretty low dose, though. I never like to give too much in case the vet wants to give them something stronger. The dose is usually enough to take the edge off and generally sorts them out, I would worry if they didn't perk up 45mins after they had the metacam, and at that point, a vet trip is pretty much inevitable.

I always give one of my bunnies zantac before his metacam. It helps prevent ulcers from the metacam, especially if you bunny isn't eating. He is prescibed 0.75 ml and weighed 2.4 kilos when it was prescribed. I do tend to give a high dose of metacam of 0.8 ml but all under my vets guidance.

Vegan bunny u r right to come across harsh tho I was not offended!!!. But like u say some people just dont want to pay for the night time vet. I have thankfully only ever had to to rush one bun to the vet at 3am when he wasnt improving and iknow if I hadnt he would not have recovered. Yes I like to think I know my babies well and am unfortunately too familiar with the dangers of gas. My poor lance had several bouts of mild stasis this year all treated by the vet and then blockage surgery which he came through but unfortunately two months later I lost him suddenly to bloat after the vet and I tried everything. So like u say if people leave their sick buns without treatment the prognosis is poor.

Barn yard bunnies, thanks for explanation on zantac, I will question my vet about this if I ever have to visit again.

Back