• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would a bunny on Death's door...

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
... Hump her partner?

Smoo is so seriously I'll but over the last few days I've seen a marked improvement in her behaviour if not her wound. She's been flopping, humping and begging for treats. She's certainly happy. :love:

I'm very confused because the wound is horrific and doesn't look like it's healing. I can't leave her with that, but she's just so full of life.

Im sorry that her wound isnt getting better, is there no hope it will? Glad shes feeling better in herself though sounds as though she is doing well in that sense!

It's an abscess/tumour that ruptured and in the past they just haven't healed even with aggressive antibiotics. I think there are lots of lumps and one or more is interfering with her bladder. :? So there is some hope it will get better but not much. She's had an abscess on her jaw for almost 2 years I think, it was removed fully once (including some of yhe jaw to make sure it was all gone) and it came back within two months. Then it was drained and left open in January and it's still draining. Plus she has multiple other lumps. :(

The only thing I would be concerned about is if the humping is a discomfort response. If the lumps are pressing on her bladder this might cause her to do this to alleviate pain or pressure.
But I'd much rather go with her bring spunky. :)
You know her best, Jenova. I'd be tickled if she is feeling better though. What abx is she on now?

Just penicillin injections, norocillin. She's still bouncing about all over the place today. :)

Ah, okay, you are lucky, you can do injections. I can't tell you all the times my bunnies might've gotten better sooner if I had the nerve for needles. :( My OH has always had to give Mimzy shots and most of the time the stuff would just dribble right back out anyway.

I wonder if she's ever had chloramphenicol? That is supposed to be a deeply penetrating abx, but it is hard on the tum. Mimzy has had it a few times and the last time was during his tilt and he could only do about two thirds of the round. But it is a strong medicine that affects deep tissue and bone, it is dangerous for humans to handle though and has to be administered with gloves on.
Just trying to think if there's anything else that might work better on those wounds/lumps. But if she's stroppy that's a good sign. :D

Ah, okay, you are lucky, you can do injections. I can't tell you all the times my bunnies might've gotten better sooner if I had the nerve for needles. :( My OH has always had to give Mimzy shots and most of the time the stuff would just dribble right back out anyway.

I wonder if she's ever had chloramphenicol? That is supposed to be a deeply penetrating abx, but it is hard on the tum. Mimzy has had it a few times and the last time was during his tilt and he could only do about two thirds of the round. But it is a strong medicine that affects deep tissue and bone, it is dangerous for humans to handle though and has to be administered with gloves on.
Just trying to think if there's anything else that might work better on those wounds/lumps. But if she's stroppy that's a good sign. :D

Thanks for mentioning that. I've used chloramphenicol eye ointment with Grim. I take it that the one you used was oral? I wonder if there's something that can be put in abscesses?
I guess the only issue is that if there are underlying tumours. :?

Have antibiotic beads been mentioned? I don't know the medicinal agent in them but those can be inserted into the areas directly.
Has Smoo been diagnosed with tumors or are all these lumps other abscesses?
Yes, the CMP I was giving Mimzy was oral. That's why after awhile it began to affect his stomach adversely. He'd had it once before, years ago, to try and clear up his constant nasal problems but it was after a round of that, which he tolerated well, that an Xray revealed an abnormality in his nasal cavity that may have been causing the problem all along.
I just hate handling the stuff. Anytime a doctor tells me there's a possibility that something will make me sick, even if it's nothing I'm taking, I get a bit OCD about it. :( That being said I've never had as much of a problem with that than I have with Pen-G as far as dosing goes.
I really hope something can be done to help Smoo with these abscesses. (((((((((((Huge hugs))))))))))))) I'm thinking of you all. xxxx

Thanks, I thought about beads but as they're likely to be tumours and as she just has so many of them is would be so invasive. I'm not sure I want to put her through that much surgery. :(
The only reason I say that is because she's had so much surgery to remove all these lumps and they either come back or more appear. It would be very invasive to put in all the beads. I think I counted four distinct lumps around the one that has ruptured and that's not including the others around her body. The likelihood is although the beads would work, more would appear in other places and then there are more decisions to make. I think the hardest decision for me is deciding when certain treatments, like surgery, are too much. She's my pet and I love her and I would do anything for her, it's deciding when the right thing to do is to not do something that is so hard. Right now I don't think its fair to put her through surgery after surgery. I would be doing it for me and not her. And injection and cleaning her once a day takes about fifteen minutes and although uncomfortable she's dosed up on pain killers and although she has a strop she's back to eating and wanting cuddles within fifteen minutes. When she has surgery she takes a long time to recover, longer each time. The last surgery in January took her almost a week to recover, she had stasis too. :(

I will try and find out about other option, but just looking at the lumps I know in my heart that there's nothing complete that can be done. I've taken pictures and I might post them with some annotations to show where all the lumps are. I'm cleaning the big ruptured lump out with cotton buds and I can stick almost half a cotton bit stick in there. :(

Back