• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mr Bennett not that well again and not dental.

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
Mr B has been sneezing alot lately but today he had a few episodes I wasn't happy with. Thankfully I know when Mr B has certain health issues so asked for septrum, as previously prescribed, rather than taking him back to the vets. You know when they are having a recurring illness.

Its OH's birthday today so he wasn't exactly thrilled to be driving to the vets.

Poor mr B and poor Mr BYB! I'm sorry to hear he needs abx but glad he isn't facing an anaesthetic again so soon after his last one. Hope he picks up soon and OH enjoyed most of his birthday.

Maybe Mr B has tooth root issues too, that could cause sneezing/snotty nose problems. When he has his next Dental perhaps he could have skull radiographs taken too ?

Hope he responds quickly to the abx xx

Poor Mr. B and James! :( I hope the rest of the day has gone better.
Sending healing vibes and Happy Birthday wishes, respectively, to your boys. :)

I didn't think of root problems. Xrays sound like a good idea, by the time Mr B needs another dental his insurance should be renewed and he will be covered.

Also thinking of knocking out a panel in the wardrobe and finding out what lurks behind that built in.

Mr Bennett seems fine this morning, no sneezing but he isn't eating as much as usual. He is only eating small bits of carrot at a time and leaving most of it.

I know you're feeding him a high content hay diet to help keep his teeth short and this is really important with root issues as well. But when he has been bad in the past have you noticed if he's better with soft food? From my experience with Grim, he wouldn't touch hay after his roots got very bad but he would still eat pellets and then when they got worse he had to have soft pellets. He could still manage things like broccoli so I think it might have something to do with how they chew it that was causing pain. :?

I think the x rays are worth doing if you're covered by the insurance, but there is no cure as such for root issues, just pain and food management. In the end with Grim I gave up trying to keep his teeth short and just gave him food he was comfortable eating, so all soft food. This kept his guts going and helped avoid any stasis issues. He just has soggy pellets available at all times. he had hay as well but it was just too painful to eat. He needed dentals but they got further and further apart. It seemed after time that on an all pellet diet his teeth stopped growing. I think it was Amethyst that noticed this as well with one of her bunnies. It got to the point he was having a dental every eight months and for a rabbit who has zero hay that's quite incredible. Obviously after that his teeth started to rot and fall out so now his dentals are much less frequent that that.

I know you've said in the past that he's a good hay eater which seems to indicate the opposite of what I've had experience with.

I know you're feeding him a high content hay diet to help keep his teeth short and this is really important with root issues as well. But when he has been bad in the past have you noticed if he's better with soft food? From my experience with Grim, he wouldn't touch hay after his roots got very bad but he would still eat pellets and then when they got worse he had to have soft pellets. He could still manage things like broccoli so I think it might have something to do with how they chew it that was causing pain. :?

I think the x rays are worth doing if you're covered by the insurance, but there is no cure as such for root issues, just pain and food management. In the end with Grim I gave up trying to keep his teeth short and just gave him food he was comfortable eating, so all soft food. This kept his guts going and helped avoid any stasis issues. He just has soggy pellets available at all times. he had hay as well but it was just too painful to eat. He needed dentals but they got further and further apart. It seemed after time that on an all pellet diet his teeth stopped growing. I think it was Amethyst that noticed this as well with one of her bunnies. It got to the point he was having a dental every eight months and for a rabbit who has zero hay that's quite incredible. Obviously after that his teeth started to rot and fall out so now his dentals are much less frequent that that.

I know you've said in the past that he's a good hay eater which seems to indicate the opposite of what I've had experience with.

Mr B is an enigma. He loves pellets but I am trying to keep them down. He wants pellets all day and he has a dog crate filled him hay, carrot, kale and whatever herbs we have bought, he isn't keen on broccoli, he wants pellets. He went to the corner I usually have them stored and he attacked a sleeping bag I need to wash that was there instead. He was really angry to find a sleeping bag. :lol:

I have to hide the pellet now or he rips through the bag. I am sure he would be happy to live on hay and pellets but too many pellets were giving him a mucky bottom. He also tends to put on weight and is at his heaviest. He is nearly 2.5 kilos which is big considering he is part Nethie. Ideally he should be about 2.2 kilos.

I have been told his teeth are uneven and that is why they don't grind down when he eats as they don't line up at the back, so eventually the ones at the very back grow spurs as the teeth are not grinding against each other. I guess there is little we can do diet wise as hay or hard food are not going to help if his teeth are misaligned.

He was really angry to find a sleeping bag. :lol:

:lol: I'm sorry...it's not funny...but that did give me a chuckle. :D I am picturing the withering disapproval that came from that encounter.

I would be interested to know too if there's anything behind that wardrobe (Narnia notwithstanding) that could be getting into his system and making him feel ill. But I think the roots would be the most likely culprit as well.
Poor Mr. B. :( If he is part Nethie then I think that really explains a lot of his tooth worries; I've read that, like lops, their faces are just not built to hold the teeth properly as a wild rabbit's mouth is. :(

Speaking from personal experience, I've had adjustments made to my teeth that over the years have thrown my bite off enough to make it impossible to bring my teeth together correctly and it is painful to chew. So I can imagine that constantly growing teeth would be even more uncomfy if maloccluded.

Sending vibes for a simple solution to it all for dear Mr. B. xxxx

Back