• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone put their rabbits on wet grass?

Willowsmum

Mama Doe
As above really, I've read conflicting views about exercising rabbits on wet grass.

I haven't been putting willow out on the wet grass (apart from a quick runaround with me supervising) in his run. But I feel mean :roll:

I have and never had any problems, it might affect a rabbit with a sensitive stomach though, but I can't get how it would be a problem. It's only water?

mine have all been out on wet grass with no problems although I do generally avoid it as they get damp back legs which isn't nice in this cold. I too cant see why it's a problem :?

mine go on grass every day regardless of the weather (if they choose to). I've never had any problems as a result :wave:

That's what I thought, does wet grass cause that much problems?

I don't know that he would eat lots of it anyway, I just feel he needs bit more exercise!

I've started letting ours out on the wet grass after reading a thread on here (poor Flymo was cooped up most of last winter due to my ignorance :cry: ) and they both seem to enjoy prancing around in the rain :roll: :lol:

Mine have permanent runs in a fixed place but I give them all fresh grass every day and it is often wet. Their run isnt covered but they do have dry places they can go to.

mine go on grass every day regardless of the weather (if they choose to). I've never had any problems as a result :wave:

This :wave: I think it's only a problem for buns who aren't used to grass, ie. Indoor buns who go outside occasionally.

My two have been on the grass for weeks, and have been absolutely fine. :) I was originally worried they might eat too much but they seem to have calmed down with the grass eating and are eating much more hay now.

Willow has a run attached with little trays of grass in it which I guess gets wet;) he doesn't eat it that much. I just think it's nice to have a change of scenery isn't it. I'll try it tomorrow if it's not peeing down :lol:

I think this comes from the idea that cows and horses should not graze wet or new grass for fear of bloat. I admit I have this in the back of my mind but then if it were true for bunnies you couldn't wash their veg and herbs before feeding them, so...
I am kind of paranoid about my bunnies' food in general so they miss out on quite a few things they could probably have. :(

I think this comes from the idea that cows and horses should not graze wet or new grass for fear of bloat. I admit I have this in the back of my mind but then if it were true for bunnies you couldn't wash their veg and herbs before feeding them, so...
I am kind of paranoid about my bunnies' food in general so they miss out on quite a few things they could probably have. :(

This:thumb: I'm the same :roll:

If it's a bit wet in the summer yes, if its a little bit wet in winter then sometimes, usually when I'm cleaning the hutch out. If it is particularly cold though I usually just let them run around the garden and leave the garage door open so they can choose to go where it's warmer and dryer if they prefer

I give ours the choice of whether they want to go out or not. They can choose to stay undercover in their shed but they prefer to be running on the grass.
They get really grumpy with me if I keep them in and start trashing the litter tray. :roll:

By the time the grass gets to their tummy it's chewed up and I don't suppose the water on the inside of grass is any different to water on the outside :)

^^^^^^^^^ this. Mine have 24/7 access to a grassed run so it's their choice if they go out on it. They usually do! The only time I stopped a bunny going on wet grass was my elderly bunny, Flora, who had lost almost all mobility in her back end. She would get soaked through underneath and then get all matted as a result.

I let mine out unless its hammering down, they mostly tip toe over it, nibble a little bit, then go running back into their nice dry run, shaking their little paws and glaring at me as it's clearly all my fault the ground is wet! :lol:

I let mine out unless its hammering down, they mostly tip toe over it, nibble a little bit, then go running back into their nice dry run, shaking their little paws and glaring at me as it's clearly all my fault the ground is wet! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back