• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jimbys tummy AGAIN

rachylou

Warren Veteran
He has been fine all day but when I gave him his veggies he wouldnt eat them and ran and hid.
I tried to get him moving around and at first he didnt seem to want me to touch his face/ears. Then he was shaking his heah a lot. I gave him a tummy massage and he only flinched once.
We have given him Katalax, Fibreplex, Ketofen and Zantac. Going to see how he goes and if no improvement in a couple of hours we will give him the metaclop.

Why does this KEEP happening? I am so confused, he is on a very healthy balanced diet, lives indoors, has a friend and all the love in the world.
I will obviously call the vet in the morning, I am wondering if it might be a good idea to repeat his bloods again.
Why does this always happen at tge worst time? I am meant to be going to hospital on monday 28th but I refuse to go ifhe Iis still not well.

Please can we have some vibes.

What makes you think it is his tummy rather than some other source of pain ? Teeth ? Ears ? Bladder ?

'Not eating' is a symptom of so many things, not just tummy pain. But of course prolonged anorexia will cause tummy problems.

The Vet needs to try to establish a primary cause rather than simply treating the symptoms of each 'episode'.

You mention that he did not want you to touch his head. This could indicate pain in that area- so teeth- ears...............

I would get him examined by the Vet again today, even if he appears to be better

Sending vibes for him xx

Oh no, not again! I agree with Jane, it sounds likely that his recurring tummy problems are due of some underlying issue which is causing pain, and it is the pain that is making his tummy stop. Teeth are a common cause, although if he is shaking his head, then it's possible he has something like an ear infection.

As an aside, personally I wouldn't recommend using katalax and would query any vet who suggested it. It (or liquid paraffin, same logic) used to be used to try and smooth any blockages th rough the gut, which works for furballs in cats, but bunnies absorb moisture from their guts to stop them from getting dehydrated when they stop eating. This means that the gut contents turn 'concrete' and the most important thing is rehydration to soften it up again. As katalax/paraffin is oil based, this inhibits rehydration of the gut contents. Bunny savvy vets these days explicitly say don't use any paraffin based products for this reason. Jimby is clearly recovering from each episode so don't worry about its use too much, but personally I wouldn't use it again unless the vet could give me a jolly good reason why I should!

Hope Jimby is better this morning and that you get to the bottom of what is wrong x

Oh no, not again! I agree with Jane, it sounds likely that his recurring tummy problems are due of some underlying issue which is causing pain, and it is the pain that is making his tummy stop. Teeth are a common cause, although if he is shaking his head, then it's possible he has something like an ear infection.

As an aside, personally I wouldn't recommend using katalax and would query any vet who suggested it. It (or liquid paraffin, same logic) used to be used to try and smooth any blockages th rough the gut, which works for furballs in cats, but bunnies absorb moisture from their guts to stop them from getting dehydrated when they stop eating. This means that the gut contents turn 'concrete' and the most important thing is rehydration to soften it up again. As katalax/paraffin is oil based, this inhibits rehydration of the gut contents. Bunny savvy vets these days explicitly say don't use any paraffin based products for this reason. Jimby is clearly recovering from each episode so don't worry about its use too much, but personally I wouldn't use it again unless the vet could give me a jolly good reason why I should!

Hope Jimby is better this morning and that you get to the bottom of what is wrong x

I completely agree with you and I have explained it to Rach before. But she would prefer to accept her Vet's advice about using it.

Hope Jimby gets better.

I never knew that about liquid paraffin, I had it prescribed once for Herbie......it actually wasn't my normal vet, was a locum as my vet was off. I will remember this advice in case any vet suggests that I use it again!

Thank you for the adive I have taken it under advisement.

Jimby is back to Jimby again now :thumb:

Back