• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed/Summerhouse windows?

elainema

Warren Scout
Hi,

I am looking into getting a shed or summerhouse for my bun's (and maybe looking into bonding into a group but my OH doesn't know this bit yet) but am a bit confused about windows?!

Is it ok to leave glass in the windows? Should the windows be able to open with mesh underneath the glass for when they are open so the bun's can't escape?

I have one window in mine, With it being just one it probably does not heat up the shed to much. We left it in but put a blanket over held up by pins in the summer to stop the sun heating up the shed to much.

If there was more than one small window, I would make sure you can open it and put mesh behind the window as you said so that they don't escape. Or remove the glass completely then mesh.

A building with a lot of glass will heat up very quickly in the sun.

My buns are in a shed and I have taken the glass window out and meshed it. I cover it in winter with plastic. My children have a summer house with the whole front made of glass and it gets so warm in there on a warm day, to the point that you can't breath if the doors have been left shut. For that reason I would always replace windows for mesh on warm days. Rabbits cope better with cold than heat.

My summerhouse has four windows each side and windows on the doors if that makes sense he's a picture:

I didn't mesh mine up because I wanted it to be watertight when the weather turns :( but in the summer I opened them up before it got warm and left the doors open all day they also had a parasol when it was hot, if you don't have a run on the front, lots of people have a mesh inner door, so you can keep the actual doors open all day.

Hope this helps a bit :)

i kept the plastic windows that came with my shed, i have 4 windows in total. they are all meshed. two have windows permanently fixed, the other two i have temporarily fixed them but they will come off when it gets warmer :)

This is what we have done with the windows in the boarding shed. Mike made panels to fit in the window with wire and fly screen mesh.

I def think windows are too hot.. My shed only has one glass window and I have stuck an insulated and reflective car windscreen cover over it to keep the heat out in summer. I'm waiting for my husband to take the glass out and replace it with wire and mesh as in the photos above,then i'll have to have shutters or something as it is a non opening window. Axis winter now I guess it's not so urgent.. Window kind of good in winter cz let's some light through.
What I need to sort out in my shed is fixing the shed,it's completely rotten and giving up but I'm not sure you can buy just shed doors??? Or make replacememnts? I've also started to notice little gaps between the wooden boards in the shed which are starting to let water through in really bad weather :(

Also,does anyone know if woodlice are bad for bunnies!!? Woodlice seem to have moved in :(

My summerhouse has four windows each side and windows on the doors if that makes sense he's a picture:

I didn't mesh mine up because I wanted it to be watertight when the weather turns :( but in the summer I opened them up before it got warm and left the doors open all day they also had a parasol when it was hot, if you don't have a run on the front, lots of people have a mesh inner door, so you can keep the actual doors open all day.

Hope this helps a bit :)

I noticed your metal run. There is a thread on here warning that rabbits have died getting their heads stuck in these. Meshing (weld mesh) on the inside would prevent it. Sorry to bring bad news but thought you would rather know.

Just a note, if you have a shed/summerhouse with a felt roof, the black or dark stuff this will cause the room to heat up a great deal. Have you ever been in a loft in the summer, no windows but very hot.

You can buy solar reflective paint from Wickes, not sure how much use it is though we have it on our summer house but it still gets very hot. Ideally you would want all exterior walls and roof to be painted white to reflect the sun as much as possible.

I noticed your metal run. There is a thread on here warning that rabbits have died getting their heads stuck in these. Meshing (weld mesh) on the inside would prevent it. Sorry to bring bad news but thought you would rather know.

Thank you :) the run on the front is just temporary they will be getting a large run next month that will fit on the side of their summerhouse (because that ones not ideal for them even if there wasn't that danger :?), but I've got weld mesh from an old run that I will put on the bottom for now but as I say it will only be temporary, thanks for pointing out the danger :D

kimberley

I def think windows are too hot.. My shed only has one glass window and I have stuck an insulated and reflective car windscreen cover over it to keep the heat out in summer. I'm waiting for my husband to take the glass out and replace it with wire and mesh as in the photos above,then i'll have to have shutters or something as it is a non opening window. Axis winter now I guess it's not so urgent.. Window kind of good in winter cz let's some light through.
What I need to sort out in my shed is fixing the shed,it's completely rotten and giving up but I'm not sure you can buy just shed doors??? Or make replacememnts? I've also started to notice little gaps between the wooden boards in the shed which are starting to let water through in really bad weather :(

Also,does anyone know if woodlice are bad for bunnies!!? Woodlice seem to have moved in :(

i love the summer house idea for the bunnies and theres lots of fab ideas on here. i want to move my bunnies either into the shed or the summer house next year and am looking for advice.would black out blinds work on the windows if we have a hot summer? just curious. i know bunnies love to chew everything. i love the idea of either a mesh full size open door on front of summer house/shed for summertime, plus like the idea of the run attached to summer house. lucky bunnies.

You could ask a local timber yard for replacement doors to sort out you old shed. It is possible for a yard to make replacement parts - including a wall or floor if you need it :wave: My dad's shed has been going for over 20 years it's older than me, he just replaces the panels as they need - he makes them himself though.

Another idea to stop the floor rotting in particular is to use a mastic (such as ronseal) on the side of the floor on the outside (the part in contact with the base). Obviously don't use it where the rabbits can get to it as it's not pet safe. My dad has done it for my shed - he says it makes the shed last a long time.
It's designed for protecting buildings so it's good stuff.

Then of course regular painting with wood protector - atleast once a year, but we do it more often (as soon as the stain seems to be fading)

I dont think woodlice would be harmful to rabbits - they only eat the rotten wood after all, but it's probably not ideal because when they breed it quickly becomes an infestation and obviously they are going to cause even more damage to the shed over time.

Back