• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why is Poppy doing this?

PoppyTheRex

Young Bun
A little over a month ago, I brought a 16 month old Rex rabbit from a pet shop for my Niece. My Niece doesn't live with me, so I'm taking care of the rabbit, who's name is Poppy. Apparently no one wanted her, so we adopted her. I quickly discovered it was not a simple task to take care of a rabbit when it comes to their eating habits, but came to enjoy the research and learning process to get what ever was best for Poppy. I have owned two rabbits in the past, but I was much younger than and didn't know there was so much to it.

Anyway... she started out in a hutch in the garden, but appeared depressed and lonely out there, even though she was getting exercise in an outdoor fencing, she didn't seem to want to know me. So I decided to bring in the fencing and set up a corner in the house for her. She soon changed, and wanted lots of attention. She's recently began to jump into my lap and wanting cuddles.

Here comes my questions...

1) Why does she make grinding/chattering noises with her teeth when I stoke her?
2) She has started to want more and more cuddles, is she becoming 'overly attached'?
3) Recently, after cuddles, she's been jumping off of me, making this low groaning type noise, grunting? Who knows, and coming over to me and nipping me gently. Should I be concerned?

Anyone who can shed light on these, thanks!

She sounds like a wee character :)

1) Why does she make grinding/chattering noises with her teeth when I stoke her?

Cos she is super content.....it is like a cat purring :)

2) She has started to want more and more cuddles, is she becoming 'overly attached'?

Bunnies can be very affectionate little things. But her hormones could be kicking in. Best to get her spayed, which helps her behaviour and also prevents future risk of cancer (80% risk in unspayed femaled)

3) Recently, after cuddles, she's been jumping off of me, making this low groaning type noise, grunting? Who knows, and coming over to me and nipping me gently. Should I be concerned?

I am not sure about this one, but could be hormonal and trying to show her dominance?

Would be good if you could get her a bunny friend, or is that out of the question?

:wave:

She sounds happy :) That can either mean she is content or that she's in pain/dental related. I'm going to go with content!
Bunnies diets should be something like 85-90% unlimited hay, 5% pellets and a bit of veg/herbs/forage. Carrots are high in sugar so should be fed sparingly, personally I just avoid it.

Rabbits enjoy company, this is why rescues rehome bunnies in pairs+ or rehome a rabbit to be bonded with another rabbit. You could always offer a teddy bear for company, just make sure she doesn't eat it! :) The companionship of their own kind is the best thing to watch though :love: Of course both bunnies need to be neutered.

Sounds like hormones. Is she spayed? 80%+ of unspayed female rabbits can end up with uterine cancer at the age of 5+, but a user on here found her 3 year old girlie had it when she went in her her spay I believe :( Spayed females also calm down so no nipping (unless you're in her way! :lol:), she won't be ruled by hormones and phantom pregnancies (can be stressful for rabbits) won't happen.

Last edited:
Thanks for the speedy reply. And yeah, she's a right little character. No disrespect to rabbit owners, but I never thought I could love a rabbit so much!!

We were gonna get another rabbit to go with her, but the woman who sold her in the pet shop advised against it because she'd been on her own for so long in the pet shop.

I'll look into getting her sorted, guess it's the same with dogs in that respect. Hopefully that'll settle the nipping, perhaps?

Just one more thing, I brought her a tunnel, but not sure if it distressed her. She ran through it like crazy and jumped over it many times, but than seemed to be breathing heavily and her little heart was pounding. I took it away, because I wasn't sure if she was just getting TOO excited and didn't know how to contain that excitement or becoming disturbed by the new big toy!

1) The teeth chattering when you stroke her is tooth purring and they do it when they're really chilled and happy, so she obviously is enjoying the stroking :love:

2) Rabbits are ridiculously social animals, they crave attention and love all the time! It's usually best for rabbits to have a rabbit partner so they can have companionship all the time and so they have someone to interact with in their own language, so if it's possible for you maybe look into local rabbit rescues to find her a partner :) I got a partner for my boy and he now gets to curl up with another bunny all day, and still pesters me for cuddles! He's a lot happier now he has someone to play with when I'm out :D

3) I'm not exactly sure what this behaviour is, normally the nudging and nipping is "play with me", "give me more attention" or simply "you're in my way, move!" :lol: I don't know why rabbits grunt, maybe she's annoyed the cuddles have finished?! I'm sure someone else will come along with better info!

Hope I've helped a bit, Poppy sounds like a very happy friendly bunny :love: would love to see some bunny photos!

Oooh, I've been giving her a handful of pellets for breakfast. And she always has the hay. But as for the veggies, I tend to give her a small bowl, mixed with about 3 types of veggies for dinner at about 6pm. Is that alright? :O

Oooh, I've been giving her a handful of pellets for breakfast. And she always has the hay. But as for the veggies, I tend to give her a small bowl, mixed with about 3 types of veggies for dinner at about 6pm. Is that alright? :O

Sounds good. If I am feeding something new I always google 'is xxxxxx safe for rabbits?' Before I feed it!

The lady in the pet shop was being silly, frankly! It is a rare bunny that will not bond. My boy Karl was on his own for at least 9 months before he was bonded and it went swimmingly. :) once you have one bunny, another won't make much more work for you and will be amazing companionship for you bun.

my marley is thought to be 3-4yrs old and hes just bonded to my doe so I don't think it matters how old they are, company is company!

Flo nips or grunts at me if im fussing her and stop or if shes lying with marley and im fussing him and not her so for flo its an attention seeking thing

If I get her a male friend, does it matter if he's a different type of breed and much younger than her?

It really depends on both their temperaments. I would recommend finding a local rescue and having a chat with them to see if they have any suitable boys. Some rescues will even do the bonding for you ;)

Yes I would advise rescues too. They will come ready vaccinated and spayed/neutered and they will be health checked. Best of luck finding a friend for Poppy.

Tunnel

Hello

It sounds like your rabbit really enjoyed the tunnel when they run and jump it's called a Binky it means she's happy!

Sadly not all pet shops have a clue it's just live stock to sell :-( once she is spayed leave it about 4weeks before you look into getting her a friend and do contact your local rescues age and size don't matter one bit it all comes down to the rabbit. What pet shop did she come from sound like they could do with some rabbit info from the rwaf bring sent to them! Have you seen a vet yet? Worth getting her sexed as the do get it wrong some times. The vet can also check her teeth to make sure they are all ok!

What area are you in? There are so many rescues over following with vaccantied and neutred rabbits and most will offer boanding as it can be hard to bond rabbits and you should never just put 2 together it takes time. Good luck x

Back