• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How the death of a bonded bunny effects the remaining partner.

Mrs. Bunnykins

Wise Old Thumper
It has just been over a month since my beautiful Estelle died.:cry::cry: Frankie, her hunbun and I have missed her so very much.

Frankie didn't want to eat out of the bowl that they used to share, so I've had to buy another shaped bowl and Frankie will happily eat out of it. The old bowl surely must hold sad memories for him.

He also didn't want to sleep where they used to sleep together, instead he chose to sleep on the blanket sited in a corner in the conservatory where she died.

Only in the past few days has he started to venture back to ' their spot'.

There have been many emotional issues for both of us to deal with, but I sense that his behaviour is saying that he is ready to meet a new friend. His shock, grief and loneliness have now subsided and he is ready to enjoy life once again.

For me.....I am still grieving for Estelle, but have to move on for Frankie's sake.

Poor Frankie :( It really is very hard for them. I think many people underestimate how much a bunny can grieve. Some seem to cope quite well but for others its difficult. I'm experiencing that with three of the buns just now. They are struggling to move on. Orla for example lost her husbun last year in September and refused all bonding attempts so now she is a housebunnie and while she briefly befriended our elderly disabled bunny Mona, after Mona's death Orla has reverted again. And unfortunately Maisie lost her husbun in May. They were so very close and she is going down the same path as Orla. Orla has recovered somewhat but Maisie seems such a lost soul these days, she really misses Bilbo. And I have a single male who has also been this way for years since his wife died. Its very hard, I don't like rabbits to be on their own. But then all the constant fights during bonding really scare me too :( And I often feel the injuries are not worth it.

I'm so sorry about your beautiful Estelle - there is no doubt that a bun suffers when they lose their partner.

Recently I had to seperate my two buns because one became very aggressive. This certainly is not as bad as a loss but the Mum is now completely bereft at having lost her daughter. To her - I suppose - it is as if she has disappeared. Thankfully she hasn't but she is displaying very clear signs of sadness so I can completely understand how lovely Frankie has felt.

But I am glad to hear he is perking up and hopefully he can find love again.

I am currently reading a book called 'How Animals Grieve' by Barbara J King and her argument that animals certainly do feel love and grief is compelling.

I think it's heartbreaking as you have the upset of losing one bunny and watching the other grieve one of our's went into a deep depression when he lost his girl Hope and he has never really been the same rabbit since although he has his moments. It's just very sad for us and them :cry:

Sounds like Frankie took it really badly, bless him. I do think sometimes our buns are ready for a new bun in their lives much sooner than we are, I did feel my bun was. It's lovely that you have taken the time to try to read him and follow his lead.

Frankie:Fank you everybody for your kind wishes. I is getting an ickle bit excited too!!!!! A luverly new hunbun coming to share my life with me and my mummeh........yippee!!!!:D:D:D

Sorry I missed this yesterday. Thinking of you as you remember Estelle, and also sending good wishes to Frankie and his future hunbun. xxxx

Back