• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Phoebe update <3

Schez

Mama Doe
As many are aware, I rescued a bunny and collected her on Wednesday... She wasn't in the healthiest of conditions... (Not as bad as what some poor rescues are faced with, but enough to conclude unintentional neglect)

We named her Phoebe.:love:

She's 2.5 years (maybe) white with beautiful black markings - really not sure on breed, (English spot in there maybe) nor was vet, though she did confirm Phoebe was a girl.

The poor girl smelt bad and was rather stressed out with everything. Her bottom was caked in poo. She was bottom bathed that night and taken into the vets the next day (after the receptionist realising I was Reggie's mummy :roll:;)) We must have done an ok job as the vet didn't feel the need to give further treatment for her bottom and gave her an injection to help her gut get moving properly again.

She's really not handling being stroked, she boxes... But quiet perseverance and she relaxes into it and chatters her teeth. Last night she was inquisitive enough to hop out her pen and investigate... She found a place to squeeze into and flop. :love:

She responds to my voice when I'm sitting outside her pen by stretching out, so I'm guessing this is positive. :thumb:

She's moulting rather a lot so I spend time grooming her and talking/singing to her each night and it seems that she's appreciative of this gesture. Enough fluff came off her to stuff a small cushion... :lol:

I've been just observing her a lot to be honest. I know this will sound weird, but she looks "front heavy" and her front legs look a bit odd... Almost look as if they are at an angle... ??? Maybe it's just my eyes but her movements look different to that of my healthy buns...??

I have contacted the previous owner as I think I did a good job in building some trust with this woman - she said she would like updates and so I've told her about the vet visit etc (politely but hopefully making a point) ... Strange that I haven't had a response... :roll:

I promise I will add pictures to this post later, but my lovely girl is hard to photograph plus I've just got the iPad camera which doesn't take the best shots.

Thank you to everyone for sending vibes that night, I was feeling rather emotional. :oops:

firstly im so pleased u decided to get another bun after all, and secondly well done for getting one who clearly needed your help, im sure with lots of love and kind attention that shes obv not received before, she will come round to befriending you in time :)

Could she be putting more weight on her front end as a reaction to having such a sore bottom???

Glad to hear that she is flopping and letting you stroke her x

firstly im so pleased u decided to get another bun after all, and secondly well done for getting one who clearly needed your help, im sure with lots of love and kind attention that shes obv not received before, she will come round to befriending you in time :)

Thank you :D just going to patient with her and give her lots of time.... She was actually out and about today when the children were about playing instead of hiding all day in the carrier... Another positive step. :thumb:

Could she be putting more weight on her front end as a reaction to having such a sore bottom???

Glad to hear that she is flopping and letting you stroke her x

Awww bless her - I didn't think of that... It must be difficult to be comfy if her botty is sore :(

I'm going to pay more attention to how she's holding herself etc. I check her bottom regularly... (I'm sure she loves me for that... :shock:) and so far, it's looking clear.
Her poos are still tiny and dark, and it's almost like she doesn't seem to know what to do with the box of hay I've given her, scattering a tiny amount of her food in it to encourage foraging and hay nibbling. :thumb:

Last edited:
This sounds a lot like how Fiver was when I first brought him home. He became my best buddy by letting him come to me when he needed attention and not pushing too much to get him to like me, but is still head shy and if you move too suddenly he'll bolt.
He is also a bit more front heavy as you describe, but he is about 5-6 years old. How old is Phoebe?
Perhaps she has a bit of a dewlap? Is she a heavier bun or more lightweight?

Over the years, Fiver's front legs have become more bowed. (Of course he looks like a little butterball to me, but the vet says his weight is okay.) He was kept in a small cage before I got him, so perhaps this stunted his growth a bit and this is showing as he ages.

Looking forward to piccies! :D My daughter has the iPad2 and it's a few years old, the photo proggie doesn't work anymore but she won't let the thing go long enough for me to take it to the Apple Geeks. :(

Pics

I promise I'll get better ones... But for now...

Squidge

3feb6a6b42da56f3717782540ea011b5_zps0233585e.jpg

Getting braver - out even when da hoomins are about

9d87a2812f75b623f187f21595732144_zpsea340d15.jpg

Hello?

38382341d286f9e70602a79a7b0219aa_zpscbdf0ea6.jpg

This sounds a lot like how Fiver was when I first brought him home. He became my best buddy by letting him come to me when he needed attention and not pushing too much to get him to like me, but is still head shy and if you move too suddenly he'll bolt.
He is also a bit more front heavy as you describe, but he is about 5-6 years old. How old is Phoebe?
Perhaps she has a bit of a dewlap? Is she a heavier bun or more lightweight?

Over the years, Fiver's front legs have become more bowed. (Of course he looks like a little butterball to me, but the vet says his weight is okay.) He was kept in a small cage before I got him, so perhaps this stunted his growth a bit and this is showing as he ages.

Looking forward to piccies! :D My daughter has the iPad2 and it's a few years old, the photo proggie doesn't work anymore but she won't let the thing go long enough for me to take it to the Apple Geeks. :(

:lol: this iPad is issued by hubby's work - so it's not ours... Though I wouldn't mind one of my own. ;)

Phoebe's owner says she's about 2.5 years and her dewlap is pretty big... I don't think she can clean properly as she has a few matts under her dewlap that I'm tempted to cut away for her... The vet weighed her at 2 kg and said this was about average... I don't know, just something about how she was moving about looked a bit awkward but then maybe I'm being over what's-it... :lol:

Fiver sounds sooooo sweet, butterball... Awwwww :lol::love::love:

I'm hoping that I'm doing the right thing with her; tonight I will give her a groom and then just get on with some reading next to her enclosure that I've been wanting to get into... See if curiosity sets in or if she will just feel comfortable enough to get on with her bunny business whilst I'm there... :lol:

If she has matting under her armpits or around the legs in general that may account for the awkward walking. Mimzy does this and his fur is a devil to try to keep up with since his tilt. I have to grab and pluck where I can. But since his bum shave he's moving much better. :)

What a beauty! :) I love her black nose. :love: That is a nice sized dewlap. Pip has a slightly rounder one...we call it her chin mattress. :lol: (Well, not in front of her, that earns you the death glare!)

Shes gorgeous and you are doing really well with her :) Im glad I am not the only person with a pen set up in her living room! What are your long term plans for her - will she live with your other rabbits?

Oh I've been thinking about her :wave: so glad you posted an update :thumb:

She will do well with you:p she's already making ogress by the look of it, well done, your doing a fab job :D

If she has matting under her armpits or around the legs in general that may account for the awkward walking. Mimzy does this and his fur is a devil to try to keep up with since his tilt. I have to grab and pluck where I can. But since his bum shave he's moving much better. :)

What a beauty! :) I love her black nose. :love: That is a nice sized dewlap. Pip has a slightly rounder one...we call it her chin mattress. :lol: (Well, not in front of her, that earns you the death glare!)

:lol::lol::lol: ah, the chin mattress... Love that! Isn't it funny how we can feel how the bunnies are feeling by looking at them... I had a look off of her which really said: "I'm not impressed hoomin!" (The feet flick might have also been a clue... :lol:)

She is beautiful, her coats coming up whiter too... The matting is on her front just under her dewlap, but will have a better look on her next bottom check. ;) she's just so tuffty! And the moulting...:shock: Awww bless her... :love:

Ps. On a random note, I love the quote on the bottom of your sig. :thumb:

Sounds like she's settling in really well :love: I can't wait to see photos of her when you manage to take some :D she sounds stunning!!

Shes gorgeous and you are doing really well with her :) Im glad I am not the only person with a pen set up in her living room! What are your long term plans for her - will she live with your other rabbits?

The living room set up wasn't the original plan... :lol: emergency set -up... The plan was to set up her coop in the garden (as it looked pretty big in the pic) and get a run attached, spay her and then either bond her into a trio with an outside pair, or bond her with Reggie. Although a conti, and pretty big, if they bond, size shouldn't be an issue. :love:

But when hubby returned, the coop was tiny and she was in a state so I set her up in with us. It's not ideal, as the pen is small, but we open it to give her free roam time, and she seems to stay put a lot at the moment. The next step is to settle her, get her combi vacs done, get her spayed/recovered and then attempt bonding. It's gonna be a long road but it's awesome having her in with us... (Though when mum-in-law comes to look after the kids next week, I'm sure I'll have some negativity to battle :()

Oh I've been thinking about her :wave: so glad you posted an update :thumb:

She will do well with you:p she's already making ogress by the look of it, well done, your doing a fab job :D

:wave: thank you for thinking of pheebs... :D she's doing well, I bought her a set of balls today from Wilkinson's, made of willow, seagrass etc... She was licking them and pushing them around with her nose... :lol:

:wave: thank you for thinking of pheebs... :D she's doing well, I bought her a set of balls today from Wilkinson's, made of willow, seagrass etc... She was licking them and pushing them around with her nose... :lol:

Do you think that's the first time she's seen toys??:oops::shock: she's gonna be so much more comfortable with you :love:

Do you think that's the first time she's seen toys??:oops::shock: she's gonna be so much more comfortable with you :love:

*sigh* I wouldn't be surprised... The lady said she would give me everything they had for her... Hubby came home with bags of musli and a busted water bottle. :shock: apparently, they couldn't find the rest of her straw and bedding... :?

It sounds as if Phoebe is in very safe, caring and loving hands.:thumb::love:

Perfect.:thumb:

Thank you :oops::D she's a sweetheart, just hope I can form some trust with her, she doesn't have to be a soppy, loving bunny, but if she can be happy in my company, then I would be over the moon. :love:

Back