• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Reggie's area/a work in progress :0)

Schez

Mama Doe
I've got a headache... :lol:
This is Reggie's space...

7849ad984012c7ef166a2db7b279d216_zps65775f1e.jpg

(That's not a dirty patch inside his den, honest it's a shadow of his hanging toy... :lol:)

So, I want to be rid of the den... Create more hopping space... Going to put some rugs down on the floor but I need to create something as a hide... It's a busy home so he needs somewhere to escape... I was thinking maybe purchasing a desk/small table to go there... But it's gonna cost a lot... I've had a rummage in the junk shop which is our shed and have pulled out an old coffee table, and a bedside table that I have removed the shelves and door to leave just the frame... The cogs are turning and I'm feeling creative... I need to be able to attach a water bottle and hay rack somehow... Any ideas?

Last edited:
Ooooooh.... I like that idea :D hubby not too keen on making Reggie's space more open plan - he's got the whole "if it ain't broke, why fix it" attitude. Says that if we take the den away then all the hay etc won't be contained... But being a house bunny, does he really need this big den? Plus there is a stair gate across the kitchen... To keep bambinos out and give Reggie peace etc... I just want to make it more comfy for Reggie :love:

Ps. The other idea was a kennel... But then that might have the same effect on space as the den?

Last edited:
It was Truffles. We changed back to newspaper so she wasn't spreading fitch all over the floor and all was calm for half a day but she's taken all the hay out and started shredding the paper. Don't know what's up with her, stroppy mare! At least she picks the places they don't actually use for litter.
TBH if the door to that den was always open she could just as easily get the hay etc out of there too, she's quite determined, so don't let that influence your decision!

It was Truffles. We changed back to newspaper so she wasn't spreading fitch all over the floor and all was calm for half a day but she's taken all the hay out and started shredding the paper. Don't know what's up with her, stroppy mare! At least she picks the places they don't actually use for litter.
TBH if the door to that den was always open she could just as easily get the hay etc out of there too, she's quite determined, so don't let that influence your decision!

:shock: norty Truffles... But your bunnies are adorable so you can't stay mad for long... :lol:

Oh I don't know what to do... Hubby might be right... *Sigh* Why can't I just make a decision and stick with it? Why do I always go around in circles... ?! Maybe I could change set up and see how it work but put it back if it sucks? :lol: don't want to upset prince Reggie though... Lol... If I put the coffee table there, then his litter tray would have to find a space... Urg. I'm gonna take 5 then look at it again later... :roll:

Why dont you buy a cats enclosed roof type ltter tray and fill it with hay... Take the wee door off..

Thus might enclose all the hay in one place.?

Why dont you buy a cats enclosed roof type ltter tray and fill it with hay... Take the wee door off..

Thus might enclose all the hay in one place.?

So, get rid of den, and replace hay rack with litter tray... Ooooh, contained hay... :thumb: but then, wouldn't there be too much stuff everywhere, including Reggie's large litter tray...? So in fact the den is more practical? *tries hard to imagine space* but it's definitely a good idea... :D I've got more options now. :D

I hate to say it, but it's a cat's enclosed litter tray that Truffles shoves all the hay out of! Along with a normal one, she doesn't want one lot of hay to be lonely on my floor. Her floor. Obviously.

will sir reggie not mind u changing things, hes not a stickler for routines and things staying the same?

This is what I'm struggling with... If I change things, will he be upset...? But if I don't change it, am I being irresponsible in not improving where I possible could?

I think what's upset me is that it's been mentioned that Reggie hasn't got a lot of hop room in the kitchen. Which, I hold my hands up, he hasn't... However, he is not confined to the kitchen 24/7... And he's a happy Buddha bunny as a friend pointed out last week (a friend popped in and commented at how happy he seemed :lol:) so I've been scrabbling around in my brain how I could possible improve this set up?

If you keep the den, to improve it a bit you could add another level, for a bit of something new for your bun. There was a post on here where someone had done that with one of those c&c cubes (I think that's what they were called), they are metal mesh type cubes so you need to put something in for a floor, bit of plywood or something, but your bun could hop up into it. The person who posted said her buns loved it. Decisions decisions eh! I've been pondering for months on sheds!:roll:

:wave: How about using the coffee table or bedside table as a den, could you fasten the hay rack and water bottle to the outside of it and then use his current litter tray to go under the hay rack next to the den?

I use wilko ones bike water bottle holders,£2 http://www.wilko.com/bike-accessories/wilko-cycle-bottle-cage-black-steel/invt/0258252 and you could attach a hay rack to the wood using cup hooks, or screwing a rack into the wood. For the hay rack, I've just bought a couple of these for my new quad, http://m.direct.asda.com/on/demandwa...?pid=001433657 was going to use a Letterbox cage like this http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/171001612824 but then saw the under shelf baskets in asda living. I've not put them up yet but I'm sure they'll be good, I've used all sorts of kitchen baskets but these are bigger :D

I don't know who could "mention" Reggie hasn't got a lot of hop room in the kitchen :shock: if he's not shut in the dog crate then I bet he has at least the recommended area for a bunny in there, plus he's not shut in there all the time anyway, plus you know he's a happy bunny :love:

Another level is a great idea. Plus can he go on top? How about attaching board to the top <helpfully vague about how wood could possibly be attached as know nothing about DIY> and a C&C cube next to the crate so that he can hop onto the top? Mine love sitting on top of stuff.

I keep coming back to the idea of levels...

They only thing I worry about with adding a level, is that Reggie is quite, erm, big... So if I was to add a level half way in his den for example , I don't think it would work very well... There really wouldn't be a lot of room... But then...he does like levels as he jumps up and down from the sofa fine...

(Cogs whirring) :idea::idea: What if... I get rid of the den, put the coffe table there, put his litter tray underneath (as he sleeps in this when he's in the den :roll:)... And cover the top of the coffee table with some sort of sticky back tile stuff/or padded fleece... He might enjoy hopping on/off...

The den is fairly tall... I could possibly do something to give him access to the top... But I would be worried he would fall... It would be a long way down for him... :shock:

How tall is it?
I have coffee tables covered with carpet tiles, they appear to be perfect for high-speed bunny 500s incorporating the sofa and rug.

How tall is it?
I have coffee tables covered with carpet tiles, they appear to be perfect for high-speed bunny 500s incorporating the sofa and rug.

Sorry I disappeared - couldn't find tape measure... :lol: The den is about 2.5 ft high by 3.5 ft wide... What to do... Blah. I like the den... Seems cosy, but it takes up a lot of space... And I wonder how comfortable Reggie really is...

Well whatever you decide to do I don't think you need to worry about him jumping from there, my little ones can jump from that height easily.
I hate making decisions too!

Back