• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits ear suddenly lopped, didnt eat last night!

miss c

Young Bun
Hi i fed my lot at lunch time yesterday after cleaning them out and gave them a quick check when i locked the shed up around 8 all seemed ok. however this lunch time i went out and noticed that 1of my single buns ears has lopped and she just dosnt seem right. So i quickly finished with the other 2 and went over to check her, she hadnt eaten her tea and just looks .... off ... odd i dont know not right so luckily my local vets is open till 2 on a sat so i booked an appointment and took her down.
Im not sure im happy with the result he checked her ear and said it was ok, and checked her front teeth which he said were good then spent ages looking at her back teeth and said their wasnt any spurs.
He checked her stomach and said it was empty but was no bloat or tenderness to it, so he doesnt really know whats up with her! So im now £32 lighter and non the wiser!!!!

We have 1ml of baytril to give daily and said 1/4 packet bio-lapis with ribena 4times a day to get her gut moving. She not to lathargic at mo but definatly not as bright as usual. Maybe its me over reacting and she just looks odd with a now lopped ear.

Its her right ear thats lopped and shes a mixed breed i think but a sticky up eared type and is around 4years now.
Any help or advice would be great feeling a bit stressed :(

It may be a problem in the middle ear which cannot always be detected by using an otoscope. Did the Vet prescribe some pain relief too ?

Well a Rabbit in pain wont eat, so personally I would contact the Vet again if your Rabbit is still not eating.

Has she passed any poo since seeing the Vet ?

She has just finished about an inch of a piece of carrot and ate a small piece of cucumber, passed a few normal poops so far but not many but least things r moving!
She been moving round hutch litter trays down stairs and has been down to use it, dont think had hay or pellets as yet though

I'd go back to the vet for some pain relief for the next few days, as well as a gut stimulant and some liquid recovery food to feed her for a few days.

Hi I couldn't go back to get anything from vets as was already closed by time I got back and isn't open on a sunday. But shes eating like her normal self at moment wich im happy about and this morn had to chase her to give her her medicine she saw me coming and ran lol and kept trying to hide so I think that's a good sign!
Her ears still lopped on 1side tho, will it go back up when the infections gone or what?? its a bit odd but she looks really cute with it!

Hi I couldn't go back to get anything from vets as was already closed by time I got back and isn't open on a sunday. But shes eating like her normal self at moment wich im happy about and this morn had to chase her to give her her medicine she saw me coming and ran lol and kept trying to hide so I think that's a good sign!
Her ears still lopped on 1side tho, will it go back up when the infections gone or what?? its a bit odd but she looks really cute with it!

It will probably go back up when she is feeling better. If you feel she is in pain still or that the issue isn't resolved please do go back to the vet for diagnostic tests. For the future, if she stops eating, because stasis can so easily be fatal, bear in
mind that if your vets is ever closed you can always go to the emergency vet.

Back