• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holiday- lesser of two evils?

Loubylou

New Kit
Hiya, am new to the forum and actually reasonably new to rabbit ownership!

I have a beautiful bonded pair that I work very hard (like most of us i am sure!) to ensure every need is catered for as much as possible.

I HATE leaving them when we go away. I put them in a lovely kennels and they have a heated outdoor 'shed' and run on concrete (however they are usually indoor rabbits) and are treated really well, and I have had no concerns with using the kennels. But it doesn't quite match our care does it!!

Now I am meant to be going to visit family 4 hours away in half term (next week) and my OH has suggested we take the rabbs with us. Family would be able to give us a rabbit room for our time up there and they would have familiar people and routine as if they were at home. My only concern is the journey (if it was around the corner I wouldn't even question it)

I have a Catit carrier, and they are comfortable and relaxed in it (its out for them to go in and out as they please) but is it unfair to travel them that distance for just a few days? The kennels is half an hour away so they have to have a car journey anyway, is it any more stressful for them to go a bit further?

So the crux of the matter is which is the lesser of two evils- long journey in car but a few days in a warm room with their familiar humans and routine. Or a shorter car journey but then spending a few days in a kennels.

What would you do?

Do they cope well with travelling?

If they're well behaved, I'd be tempted to take them with me if your family will let you have a room for them. Boarding can be expensive, but only you know your buns well enough to know if they'd be stressed by the journey :wave:

Back