• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fatty liver. Advice please

rabbitapril

Mama Doe
My newly rescued previously 'hutch' rabbit has seemed under the weather.
She has had a poor appetite since she came to me, has no muscle and is thin. yesterday she stopped eating. Vet gave her intensive therapy and blood tests. She is home now and a lot brighter but blood tests reveal Hepatic Lipidosis. I have no experience of this. Will Willow ever get better? Anyone with advice please. :)

Sorry i can't answer this for you, but hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along with their coffee soon :wave:

I've not dealt with this in rabbits, but one of my cats stopped eating for a week after a dental and this was something the vet was worried about.

I've looked this up for you, I hope it can give you a basic idea of what is going on with your bunny, but there is no substitute for advice from your vet if they are rabbit savvy.
http://www.critters360.com/index.php/causes-of-hepatic-lipidosis-in-rabbits-10058/

Rabbit hepatic lipidosis, or fatty liver disease, is the rabbit version of a problem that can occur in a variety of animals such as cats, as well as in human beings. Hepatic lipidosis in rabbits is caused by the animal not eating properly which leads to a build up of fatty cells in the liver thus impairing the function of the organ. This can lead to a variety of symptoms such as anorexia, weight loss, and vomiting. If left untreated it can kill the rabbit. Treatment is successful if provided in time, with the central aim being dietary modification.

Sometimes, for reasons that are not always clear, a rabbit will stop eating properly. This is more common in older, fatter, rabbits. When this happens the body needs to find another source of fuel. The natural reaction of the rabbit’s body is to send fatty cells to the liver to be broken down there. Unfortunately, the liver is not very good at this and may get clogged up by the fatty cells. This impairs the function of the liver leading to hepatic lipidosis.

As the lipids increasingly clog up the liver tissue the functioning of the organ is increasingly impaired. This leads to the symptoms of the disease being increasingly obvious. These include vomiting and an excessive amount of salivation. The rabbit will also be suffering from anorexia and an associated weight loss. It will also have a yellowing of the skin and eyes known as jaundice and may be very lethargic.

Diagnosis can start from taking into consideration these symptoms. But to get a firm diagnosis requires further tests. One of these is to take and analyse a full blood profile of the rabbit. What is being looked for is the presence of higher amounts of liver enzymes than normal. The diagnostic clincher is to perform a liver biopsy on the rabbit. It is important that this diagnosis should be achieved as quickly as possible because of the real danger of death.

However, if a successful diagnosis has been achieved then treatment can be provided swiftly to the rabbit. The main point of treatment is to change the diet and eating of the animal. For several weeks a feeding tube or a syringe may be needed to introduce food into the rabbit. A vet will be able to provide a formula that is designed specifically to meet the dietary needs of the animal.

Obviously bunnies don't vomit but I think they were meaning other animals in this context. I don't think a biopsy is necessary if your bunny has already been diagnosed.
I hope that your rescue bunny can pull through this with proper fluids, diet and supportive care. Sending healing vibes your way. xxxx

Thanks for info Mimzmum:)
Does anyone have any experience of this?
I am syringe feeding her as much as I can.
We are back to the vet on Monday but I have no idea what I am up against or how best to Help Willow.
Maybe PTS will be best?

Sorry to hear you are so poorly Jane, I did not know.

Thanks for posting the link, I am desperate for advice and support.

Thanks for that link Jbun. I am beginning to understand what is happening to Willow.
But if anyone is caring for a bunny with this problem I would love to know how they are coping.

After many months of intensive feeding and care, it is with great joy, I can say the Willow recovered enough from her fatty liver problem .
She was spayed this week and recovered from her op remarkably quickly. Tonight she is back to her favourite place..... Digging up the carpet behind the curtains. Lol she is a special bun.

After many months of intensive feeding and care, it is with great joy, I can say the Willow recovered enough from her fatty liver problem .
She was spayed this week and recovered from her op remarkably quickly. Tonight she is back to her favourite place..... Digging up the carpet behind the curtains. Lol she is a special bun.

Fantastic :D

Back