• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Concerns about Lavender (glaucoma bun) and her quality of life :(

silverrabbit

Mama Doe
Had to rush Lavender to the vets today because she had developed an infection in her eye socket over the op site from where she had her eye removed last year :cry: The vet was confused because she recovered so well after surgery, and an infection developing a year after surgery isn't great. It's possible that some of her fur is growing inwards and irritating the orbit. She now has to have AB's and pain relief, but its possible that she will need surgery to flush the cavity out :cry:

Lavender is only not even 2 years old and has been through so much. She was diagnosed with glaucoma at the age of 6 months and had to have her left eye removed a couple of months after because it wasn't responding to any treatment. her right eye has remained stable pressure-wise, but I think her sight has decreased. It wasn't great but she could see shapes and shadows so she coped very well.

I had hoped to bond her with Jasper before she lost all her sight because I thought her world would be very isolated and scary if she was on her own and totally blind. This hasn't gone to plan, but they live next door to each other and often lay next to each other through the divide. It's possible that Lavender has been uncomfortable for a while (which makes me feel awful :cry: ) and that could have affected the bonding process, so I could perhaps dry again after she recovers.

Overall, i'm feeling very sad atm. I don't know if Lavender can be happy on her own and blind. She is so young and otherwise healthy so this could be a very long, lonely life :( I feel very torn :cry:

I hope the abx work and no surgery is needed for lavender.

With regards to bonding, if you think that she may have been under the weather then it may have had something to do with it not working. Also maybe ask Hugo's there for some tips on bonding partially blind bunnies (or some others may be able to help) whilst sticking to the neutral territory/small spaces and making them larger very slowly.

Don't give up yet on bonding them (took me 4 months once to bond 2 of mine and then they were inseparable)

No advice either but wanted to say nose rubs to lavender and big hugs to you.
I really hope she manages to bond with Jasper once she has recovered xx

I agree not to give up hope on the bonding just yet. Hopefully when Lavender has recovered she will be more accepting.

Sending loads of vibes for your brave little girl. xx

Sending vibes for Lavender and for you. I agree that posting about blind rabbits could be very helpful and encouraging.

When we bonded Fozzie and Archie, I thought Fozzie was at least partially sighted. But we followed the neutral area rule etc and Archie was just hounding her and as she couldn't navigate around very well, she was bumping into things, and it was like a slow Benny Hill chase scene.

We then put them into her old run and when he began chasing her, she immediately turned around growled and nipped his nose, and he submitted! Best friends ever since.

So we found we had to make allowances in the bonding, but I suppose it depends on each bunny and the pairs dynamics also. All you can do is try and don't be afraid to try different situations.

Good luck!

Ah poor little Lavender. I would try again when she's feeling better if not then leave it. Rogerrabbit's little Violet is blind and seems very happy on her own.

Please don't feel bad. We always beat ourselves up over things, thinking we could have done more or noticed quicker. Sounds like you noticed very quickly but are just being hard on yourself.

Lots of hugs to you and little Lavender.

Thanks all :wave:

I will try again when she is feeling better. i'm hoping that with them living side by side 24/7 for the past month, she will be more comfortable with him during the bonding process. Jasper is desperate for her company and is very submissive, it's just that her lack of sight makes her freak out if he tries to rub noses or lick her ear :( when she is better I will def ask on here for advice :)

Lavender is doing better today and is taking her meds hidden in damp SS pellets :lol: Jasper is so sweet, he copies Lavender :love: when she munches on hay, he will fill his mouth up, sit next to the divide and munch on his too :love:

I hope that Lavender continues to improve.

Just an idea if/when you try to bond her and Jasper again - how about if you sit in with them? You may therefore have to use a bigger area than normal but with her blindness a different approach may be needed. If Jasper is submissive and unlikely to chase then your presence may not affect his behaviour but may reassure Lavender enough not to be frightened of him. You could maybe have her on your lap or between your legs. As he is showing lots of positive behaviour once Lavender is comfortable with his presence it may turn out to be an easy bonding.

Back