• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Almost in tears

Schez

Mama Doe
Ok... Someone near me was getting rid of their rabbit. Usual story RU, kids didn't like her coz they couldn't pick her up and they are getting a puppy. Said she had a horrible nippy, temperament. I got her anyway. She's a sweetheart by the way. And she's all moulty... :shock: So I used a combo of baby brush and wet hands to get rid of the loose fur. She sat beautifully me and actually seemed to enjoy it. :love:

I couldn't help but notice that she smelt quite bad so decided to investigate further. Her bottom is completely caked in poo. No wonder she was :censored: moody. :( I've got no choice but to bottom bathe, I've got some good tips from here and so going to give it a go with hubby. She will be going to the vets ASAP. (Ringing first thing) I've never, ever had a bunny this bad. I am so frightened what I am going to find. It may be that I get the vet to cut away anything is can't get off. I'm so frightened I'm going to do something wrong here... But I truly can't go to bed until I know I've tried to make her more comfortable. She is set up indoors with us.

Urrrrgh. Poor, poor baby. :(

Ok... Someone near me was getting rid of their rabbit. Usual story RU, kids didn't like her coz they couldn't pick her up and they are getting a puppy. Said she had a horrible nippy, temperament. I got her anyway. She's a sweetheart by the way. And she's all moulty... :shock: So I used a combo of baby brush and wet hands to get rid of the loose fur. She sat beautifully me and actually seemed to enjoy it. :love:

I couldn't help but notice that she smelt quite bad so decided to investigate further. Her bottom is completely caked in poo. No wonder she was :censored: moody. :( I've got no choice but to bottom bathe, I've got some good tips from here and so going to give it a go with hubby. She will be going to the vets ASAP. (Ringing first thing) I've never, ever had a bunny this bad. I am so frightened what I am going to find. It may be that I get the vet to cut away anything is can't get off. I'm so frightened I'm going to do something wrong here... But I truly can't go to bed until I know I've tried to make her more comfortable. She is set up indoors with us.

Urrrrgh. Poor, poor baby. :(

Soaking it will help to loosen some of the poo, but tbh, I'd rather wait until a vet can see it. If it's that bad, she may need a GA and shaving.

I would certianly have a word with her previous "owners" and let them know that their rabbit is ill...most likely because of a bad diet and would they care to put some money towards her vet bills. People like this just need a slap tbh. :censored: Poor girl.

I hope it's just diet related and not dental. Sending her lots of vibes.

Horrible so and so's :evil:
Poor bunny, glad she's with you now xxx

She's gonna hate me after this :( shes matted on her front as well... I will have to cut them off I think... All these points are ringing very loud alarm bells... Bunnies are usually very clean... So what is going on with poor bunny? I'm thinking dental?

Musli, tiny hutch/coop thingy... Couldn't see much hay...

The people were actually "nice" and even admitted to not knowing what they were doing... But why not research?? She's about 2.5 years old. She was given to them at 6 months old coz they thought the kids would like her...

Wish me luck...

Xxx

She's gonna hate me after this :( shes matted on her front as well... I will have to cut them off I think... All these points are ringing very loud alarm bells... Bunnies are usually very clean... So what is going on with poor bunny? I'm thinking dental?

Musli, tiny hutch/coop thingy... Couldn't see much hay...

The people were actually "nice" and even admitted to not knowing what they were doing... But why not research?? She's about 2.5 years old. She was given to them at 6 months old coz they thought the kids would like her...

Wish me luck...

Xxx

Good luck with her.

It's horrid not being able to explain that what you're doing is for their own good :(

Poor girl :( I've had a few arrive here with bums caked in poo, and it's all been diet related so far. I think once it starts to build up it's hard for a bun to deal with themselves. Hopefully her teeth will be OK. Sending lots of vibes xx

I like to think I take very good care of my buns but I will find poo stuck and mostly due to diet (even though they are on limited treats/no treats and just hay and water) and very difficult to remove since they don't like the handling. If she is really bad a shave will do her good. :) (I just had Mimzy done this weekend by my vet, he is so much happier.)
Bless you for taking her on. Sounds like a case of neglect to me and she's much better off with you, even if she doesn't appreciate the hygiene right off the bat. :)

Soaking it will help to loosen some of the poo, but tbh, I'd rather wait until a vet can see it. If it's that bad, she may need a GA and shaving.

I would certianly have a word with her previous "owners" and let them know that their rabbit is ill...most likely because of a bad diet and would they care to put some money towards her vet bills. People like this just need a slap tbh. :censored: Poor girl.

I hope it's just diet related and not dental. Sending her lots of vibes.

Oh thank you Vegan_Bunny.... Believe me, I will be "updating" previous owners... She's wrapped in towels now on my lap keeping warm.... Prob not used to this amount of attention but she actually feels chilled out in my arms... Thank you for vibes... She's not attempted to bite me once....

I've decided to name her Phoebe... Which means bright moon or bright sun... She's white with black markings.:love:

I like to think I take very good care of my buns but I will find poo stuck and mostly due to diet (even though they are on limited treats/no treats and just hay and water) and very difficult to remove since they don't like the handling. If she is really bad a shave will do her good. :) (I just had Mimzy done this weekend by my vet, he is so much happier.)
Bless you for taking her on. Sounds like a case of neglect to me and she's much better off with you, even if she doesn't appreciate the hygiene right off the bat. :)

Oh I hope I didn't offend, I completely understand that bunnies get messy bums - it happens, that's why we are vigilant :thumb: I was just shocked at the extreme... :( I've just never seen it that bad before... I'll phone vet 1st thing, they will be able to see a little better now... But I reckon they will have to shave... Her hocks don't look too bad but not 100% healthy... :shock: I didn't see what state hutch was in, they had cleaned it out ready to be dismantled.... I've taken it on so A) they couldn't sell it to house another bunny and B to adapt into a den to put inside a run - not using it as a hutch ever....

Poor girl :( I've had a few arrive here with bums caked in poo, and it's all been diet related so far. I think once it starts to build up it's hard for a bun to deal with themselves. Hopefully her teeth will be OK. Sending lots of vibes xx

I'm praying it's not her teeth, prepared to sort it if it is course. I had to go through these thoughts before getting her. The what if she's in a bad way etc. It all happened so fast - just had to act.
This is the reason I admire rescues so very much, I'm upset about the state of Phoebe but rescues have to deal with so much worse... I wonder if I would cope helping out at a rescue... :(

Thank you for vibes :love: I will feel much better once a vet gets to see her and I know what I'm dealing with.... Now she's warm, dry and cosy I can get some sleep.. I've got to get up for work in the morning... :shock:

Oh I hope I didn't offend, I completely understand that bunnies get messy bums - it happens, that's why we are vigilant :thumb: I was just shocked at the extreme... :( I've just never seen it that bad before... I'll phone vet 1st thing, they will be able to see a little better now... But I reckon they will have to shave... Her hocks don't look too bad but not 100% healthy... :shock: I didn't see what state hutch was in, they had cleaned it out ready to be dismantled.... I've taken it on so A) they couldn't sell it to house another bunny and B to adapt into a den to put inside a run - not using it as a hutch ever....

No offense taken at all. :) I just mentioned because it is surprising how quickly sometimes a bun will get a poopy bum. Mine will be fine one day and completely caked on the next. It gets a little frustrating, for both me and the bunnies. :?
But it sounds like Phoebe was most likely just tossed the muesli and then ignored. Poor thing. I do hope it's not a dental thing and if it is, just one that needs doing and maintained with hay afterwards.
Glad you got the hutch away. I can bet if it's a tiny one that the inactivity didn't help with her overall conditions and as soon as she is able to run about it's going to be a major change for her. :)
Is she a very fluffy bun? You said she was black and white but how long is her fur?

So glad you got her. Sounds like her life is getting better from now. Good luck at the vets tomorrow, I hope there aren't any nasty surprises.

Aww, I'm so glad you got her out of there and she can have all the love care and attention she deserves :love: hope it's just a case of wrong diet and she'll come right asap :thumb:

:evil: to the previous owners

:love: to you, I'm so glad she's with you now. You have already made her life better :D
Keep us updated :thumb:

After Poppy's discovery of a chocolate button and the messiest bum she's ever had.. she was bum shaved on Tuesday while under GA for a small dental, it's so much better now. I was trying my best to get the stubborn bits off but I just couldn't, now I just have to tackle the bit of poop that has dried on her foot!

We need to keep on top of Poppy's bum, it's a daily thing for us to check as she can't eat hay so on a pellet only diet you can imagine her poops aren't amazing.

Once she's all clean she'll feel better too, I know Poppy does once I've cleaned her up!

Well done for taking her on, she is so much better off withyou and she sounds like such a sweet girl :love: Sending good vibes for the vet trip today, let us know how she gets on.

Schez, phoebe has really fallen on her feet to find you. Thank you for taking her on! I had a Pheobe guinea pig, she suited her name so well. I just saw her sparkly eyes peeping out from under the hutch and I whispered to Andy, "that's my Pheobe!"

Back