• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dana is struggling

willowflower27

Mama Doe
She's missing Evan horrendously she is eating but not as normal and she is pooping but the life has gone out of her I've thought about getting a friend but given the fact she has an abdominal mass and is a senior lady I'm a bit reluctant, I know she needs to grieve just like me but how long should I give her? If I need to get her a partner I will but I'm unsure whether it is grief or a medical issue

:cry:

Some Rabbits cope better with bereavement if all reminders of their deceased partner are removed. Things that may smell of him

Introducing some new and hopefully interesting toys can help too.

This approach is certainly not suitable for all Rabbits, but I know for a fact that it can help some who become depressed due to bereavement.

For example Lady Lydia, who has grieved for Sir Victor more than I could ever have imagined :cry:, has improved considerably in a totally new enclosure in a different part of the house. Even now, over a year after we lost Victor, Lydia becomes depressed if I put her out into the garden she spent so much time in with her soul mate. She will not, under any circumstances, go anywhere near the area they used as their latrine. She has also made it abundantly clear that she will not tolerate sharing her space with another Rabbit.

At the other end of the spectrum I have known Rabbits who appear to be not in the least bit bothered by the loss of a partner. In fact a few appear to become much more active and interested in things.

Both grief reactions are equally agonising to witness :cry:

Maybe you could get Dana checked over by the Vet again, just to be sure that her demeanour is not due to a worsening of her health problems.

I will try getting her a new dog crate as her base and some new toys she has a tumour in her abdomen so it could be that it is causing problems and losing evan was just to much for her

((((((((((((((((((Sending vibes for Dana)))))))))))))))))
Poor darling. I hope she will feel better soon.
I've been thinking of you too. How are you faring? xxxx

((((((((((((((((((Sending vibes for Dana)))))))))))))))))
Poor darling. I hope she will feel better soon.
I've been thinking of you too. How are you faring? xxxx

Thank you, I am numb everything feels like it's happening to someone else I get up go through the motions and come home losing evan has hit me so hard but it is getting easier which I feel bad about

You shouldn't feel bad. It is a hard thing to do to say goodbye to a dear friend. But I don't think Evan would want you to pine, and you have Dana to tend to and your attention is naturally going to focus on her.
Grieving is a step by step process and we often repeat the steps a few times. Just take each one at a time. xxxx

Thank you, I am numb everything feels like it's happening to someone else I get up go through the motions and come home losing evan has hit me so hard but it is getting easier which I feel bad about

Don't feel bad about things getting a bit easier...it's all part of the natural grieving process - and we humans would be utterly useless if we just stuck in grieving mode ALL the time - it doesn't mean that you love Evan any less, or that you miss him any less - it's just that you're accepting. And by getting through this, you will be able to help Dana.

Back