• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just back from vets after neutering, advice please!

ripply

Young Bun
Gizmo was neutered earlier today. All went well. The girl at the vets said it might be best to keep him inside tonight. I understand that the anaesthetic can make him cold. Problem is, he's an outdoor rabbit and seems very scared at being in this new environment. He's only eating little bits and seems frightened to move. They give him some medicine to keep his gut moving but I'm still keen to see him eating properly and I hate seeing him stressed. I know he'd relax once he's back in his normal hutch and run but I'm scared to put him out tonight in case he gets cold. But I'm also worried about him being so stressed because I know that is really dangerous for rabbits. He does have a snugglesafe heat pad but would that not be enough? Should I just leave him the way he is or let him back into his hutch? Also, the indoor cage he's in was sold to me as a rabbit cage but it's so tiny compared to what he's used to. He's only a little lionlop but he can only do 2 or 3 hops and can't even stand up fully. I dread to think that people might keep a rabbit in this sort of thing for life!

Gizmo was neutered earlier today. All went well. The girl at the vets said it might be best to keep him inside tonight. I understand that the anaesthetic can make him cold. Problem is, he's an outdoor rabbit and seems very scared at being in this new environment. He's only eating little bits and seems frightened to move. They give him some medicine to keep his gut moving but I'm still keen to see him eating properly and I hate seeing him stressed. I know he'd relax once he's back in his normal hutch and run but I'm scared to put him out tonight in case he gets cold. But I'm also worried about him being so stressed because I know that is really dangerous for rabbits. He does have a snugglesafe heat pad but would that not be enough? Should I just leave him the way he is or let him back into his hutch? Also, the indoor cage he's in was sold to me as a rabbit cage but it's so tiny compared to what he's used to. He's only a little lionlop but he can only do 2 or 3 hops and can't even stand up fully. I dread to think that people might keep a rabbit in this sort of thing for life!

I'm not an expert, so hopefully someone will come along soon and confirm what I'm going to say........DO NOT put him outside tonight, he's body temp will drop and you may lose him, it's a very high risk.
I would keep him in a small dark area, covered over so he has somewhere to hide away. It's only one night, he won't feel like hopping around anyway, they are usually quiet for the first night.

The snugglesafe won't last anywhere near long enough in a hutch anyway. I would still give him it indoors though.

I personally have kept all my rabbits once neutered in one of those small "rabbit" cages for 24 hours after theyre home or up until theyre eating/pooping and drinking again

i think its easier to keep an eye on them and stop them hurting themselves

If you can put a blanket or something over half of the cage, try to have him somewhere quiet but where you can see what he's up to.

I really wouldn't put him outside, Pooka was so cold after her spay and that was with me, a blanket and a snugglesafe trying to keep her warm.

I've covered part of the cage with a black towel and I think it's helped him relax a bit. He's munching away on some grass and has ate a bit of his pellets. He must have been very thirsty because he's drank more water than usual. Is this anything to worry about? I'll keep him in tonight and he has had his snugglesafe since he came home but he won't lay near it. I guess it'll still add a bit of extra heat to the cage. It just feels mean to see him all cramped in that cage but maybe he'll be tired anyway after his surgery.

I've covered part of the cage with a black towel and I think it's helped him relax a bit. He's munching away on some grass and has ate a bit of his pellets. He must have been very thirsty because he's drank more water than usual. Is this anything to worry about? I'll keep him in tonight and he has had his snugglesafe since he came home but he won't lay near it. I guess it'll still add a bit of extra heat to the cage. It just feels mean to see him all cramped in that cage but maybe he'll be tired anyway after his surgery.

He wll be tired, your right, he needs to stay quiet anyway and it's only one night :thumb:

They are always thirsty after surgery, nothing to worry about, as the night goes on he should eat more, which is good, keep his favourite greens in there to tempt him.
He will back to normal tomorrow :p

Definitely keep him indoors tonight.

After Ludo was castrated he was hopping around happily after 24 hours and completely back to normal in 48. :wave:

Drinking loads is good cos it'll help get the anaesthetic out of his system so he'll feel better for it. It is cold tonight so I d definitely keep him in. I've got my old boy inside tonight too and I know he won't be happy!

Thanks everyone. He seems much better now. Alternating between eating and sleeping but also more active at times. He's currently trying to remove the top bars from the cage which he's realised is the way out. Though, I think that means he's feeling better because it's more like him to be curious. I've been so worried about him all day, waiting for the vet to ring. I'll still worry now in case he has any complications. The vet said he didn't need to come back for any post-op checks. Do I need to keep an eye on the area? Is he ok to go out on the grass? He digs in the loose earth in one part and I'm not sure if that would cause the wound to get dirty.

Thanks everyone. He seems much better now. Alternating between eating and sleeping but also more active at times. He's currently trying to remove the top bars from the cage which he's realised is the way out. Though, I think that means he's feeling better because it's more like him to be curious. I've been so worried about him all day, waiting for the vet to ring. I'll still worry now in case he has any complications. The vet said he didn't need to come back for any post-op checks. Do I need to keep an eye on the area? Is he ok to go out on the grass? He digs in the loose earth in one part and I'm not sure if that would cause the wound to get dirty.

No post op check? That's bit odd, if I remember rightly you need to keep him away from anything that can stick so no sawdust/shavings and nothing that can poke into him so give him hay in things like toilet rolls or hay manger but not to sleep on. Newspaper is best

Back