• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not good news for Archie...

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Archie has had tear duct problems for over a year now but I was quite pleased as it seemed under control. Just needed a quick clean and eye drops, he seemed happy. But another abscess started last week, so today he was at the vets for treatment.

I was expecting them to flush/remove, take tooth out if it was the source (had some removed before so was expecting it), antibiotics and home.

When the vet called he was still under GA, and she said from the X-ray she can see his tooth roots are growing right up into his skull - there's hardly any tooth in his mouth. The bone is infected and basically a mess in there. So we can't remove the molars without serious surgical work. So he is coming home with pain relief and antibiotics.... And I don't know how long before we'll have to say goodbye.

I really wasn't expecting this.

Thanks everyone. The vets have prescribed him a good dose of daily metacam and we are to check back in a week. I cant believe he is eating and lively as usual with all that is going on underneath. What a brave bunny.

The surgery he'd need sounds horrific! The vet described how they'd have to remove the teeth from the "outside" ie going through his cheek and jaw. She said its not a very good success rate and often buns are pts still on the operating table.

He is 8 years old and I know that's not really old, I'm not sure it would be in his best interests. :cry:

The surgery he'd need sounds horrific! The vet described how they'd have to remove the teeth from the "outside" ie going through his cheek and jaw. She said its not a very good success rate and often buns are pts still on the operating table.

He is 8 years old and I know that's not really old, I'm not sure it would be in his best interests. :cry:

That sounds awful. :( I am so sorry you have had such bad news. 8 years old is "getting on" for a bun, so I would (personally) not want to put a bun of that age through that.

*Massive hugs* Your boy is obviously such a little fighter. I hope he is as comfortable and happy as he can be until you make a decision. x

That sounds awful. :( I am so sorry you have had such bad news. 8 years old is "getting on" for a bun, so I would (personally) not want to put a bun of that age through that.

*Massive hugs* Your boy is obviously such a little fighter. I hope he is as comfortable and happy as he can be until you make a decision. x

Thank you xx

Aww I am in tears here Kerry as we think a lot of Archie , especially Mike he always makes a fuss of them when they board here. Another of our customers rabbits has just been through that op as she had the same problem with her tooth roots and it's a big op and yes the do remove the teeth from the outside. Our vet has been to Francis H Brown to learn how to do it.

I'm so sad for Archie and you as I know how much you care and look after them.

I can imagine what you are going through so sending big hugs from us (((())))

Give Archie a gentle nose rub from us both to xxxxxxx

Thank you for the nose rubs and hugs!

It's been an awful few months for Fozzie and Archie, after relatively healthy lives I suppose, but that doesn't make this bit easier.

It's the "knowing" that's getting to me now...knowing the decision will come. I've no idea how long we have either. I'm going to be watching him so critically now.

Oh Gosh. That does not sound pleasant and I think if I were in your shoes I would probably opt for not going ahead in an older (not old) bunny.
I hope you have some nice quality time with one another and Archie can be comfortable.

Back