• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues - some questions

jemjabella

Mama Doe
I don't know if this is the best place to pop this but hoping to get some numbers off some rescues. If this thread isn't allowed, apologies :oops:

I can't do much financially to help all the rescues out there and Karl won't let me get any more (working on that) :lol: so I want to use what platform I do have to raise awareness of the situation with rescues and about rabbit homing standards etc - as a blogger with an audience I might be able to get at least a few hundred eyes to take in some info.

So if you're a rescue or take in unwanted rabbits can you give me a rough picture of the situation for you at the second? Your max number of spaces for rabbits (and/or guinea pigs), how many you actually have, the costs involved with keeping them, is your current # waiting typical for this time of year or are you under extra pressure etc. I'd like to include this in a blog entry so by responding I'm assuming you're giving permission for this to be shared. If you have a website you'd like me to link to then please add that to (or PM me?)

Hi,

I volunteer at a sanctuary every sat and work exclusively with the buns. We have about 90 rabbits at the moment, and about 50 cages. I am tasked with increasing this to 70ish as we are under pressure to take more in all the time. We have taken in about 40 in the past month. It is such a shame when you feel like you are getting somewhere in the summer months.

We get most of our food donated but there is at least a ad-hoc visit to the vets once a week costing at least £100.

Last edited:
That's a lovely idea.

We have around 40 in at a time, and ten guinea pigs (along with hamsters, rats, ferrets) but with no center and dwindling funds, this is not sustainable :( As with any reputable rescue, we neuter, vaccinate and microchip prior to rehoming. All homes are vetted through interview, vet check and home visit. Minimum housing requirement is 6x2ft hutch & 6x4ft run. We are voluntary run and have full time jobs, families and other commitments that we have to fit around the rescue. As for numbers, I turn rabbits away every single day. Things are very difficult and I cant anticipate it getting better any time soon.

our capacity is 30 rabbits ... at the moment we have 32 rabbits in :?

Things get worse every year ... but this year although we have had more calls to take in ... we have also rehomed well .

we turn away on average more than 1 a day . :(

We have about 20/25 rabbit foster hutches - but because we only use fosterers this is variable and changes often - as we lose fosterers when they adopt or move away but are getting new ones all the time. We usually have about 30 buns in at a time - some pairs, some singles.

We have about 10 guineas spaces and 15 in at the moment.

I hold the rabbit waiting list and it is currently running at about 70 - which is has been at for some time. It is a very, very worrying responsibility trying to prioritise which ones need to come in most urgently.

Our average monthly bill is £3000 - over £2000 of this is vet bills.

Last edited:
There is a brilliant new group on Face Book that is working on this, you could help there, it's called Action For Rabbits

This is a heartbreaking thread:cry: So many furry friends needing homes.

I'm just about to foster for the RSPCA, but only have space for one. Every bit we do helps though no matter how small. :thumb:

I'm just about to foster for the RSPCA, but only have space for one. Every bit we do helps though no matter how small. :thumb:

Don't underestimate how important your one space is - if enough people help one at a time, it makes a huge difference. Be proud of what you are doing x

Hiya, this is very good of you spreading the word. Would be fab if you could also maybe mention Pledge a Pound and how we try to raise funds to help the rescues. I can pm you info if you would be interested :)

Hiya, this is very good of you spreading the word. Would be fab if you could also maybe mention Pledge a Pound and how we try to raise funds to help the rescues. I can pm you info if you would be interested :)

Yes, that would be awesome - thank you.

And thanks again to anyone who has contributed. If nothing else it's made me want to help with foster animals - I'm going to talk to Karl later about it :)

Sorry, more questions if anyone has a few moments -

What's the most common reason for giving up rabbits to rescue - does misunderstanding of a rabbit's basic care factor?

What one thing do you think would help rescues... whether that be better education of the public, pet shops not selling animals or something else?

Common reasons include kids getting bored, moving and cant take the rabbit(s), no longer giving him/her time and attention, unexpected litters (mis-sexing).

I am sure there are many other ones as well.

Our most common reason is that they are allergic to them, which in my opinion is ridiculous. I dont know if they think we are stupid but they might make themselves feel better by saying this rather than the truth, such as, they just dont want them any more. It is very sad.

The most beneficial thing would be if they were not so damn cute..... :lol::lol::lol:, but on a serious note I think the education of the public would be a great help as most people think they are easy to take care of and are cheap, which all of us on here know that is not the case. I am not sure if stopping pet shops from selling them is the correct way though as this could lead to them being bread in awful conditions by the public. I am not saying that the breeders give them the best life but at least there is an element of control and less places for the RSPCA to visit. I do think that they should not be allowed to sell rabbits in the winter months as although they do say they need to be inside I wonder how many owners put them outside once they start digging the carpets and eating the walls......

(Hope it's ok to post this!)

I've used some of the info on this thread in the first of a series of posts I'm going to do about rabbits, which you can read here: http://www.jemjabella.co.uk/2013/13-things-your-probably-dont-know-about-bunnies/ (if there are any mistakes please correct me! I did proof it / double check stats etc but found some websites disagreeing with each other)

The next one I'll be doing is how to help, so I'll be including lots of links to rescue's websites, so if you want your link included and haven't already posted here do let me know :)

Hi, the site looks good. One comment for completeness is that castration is for males, so really it should be they should be neutered, castration for the boys and spay for the girls. So girls are spayed and boys castrated. :thumb::thumb:

Hi, the site looks good. One comment for completeness is that castration is for males, so really it should be they should be neutered, castration for the boys and spay for the girls. So girls are spayed and boys castrated. :thumb::thumb:

Thanks - for some reason I always thought castration was non-gender specific :oops:

Back